This is the technical support forum for WPML - the multilingual WordPress plugin.

Everyone can read, but only WPML clients can post here. WPML team is replying on the forum 6 days per week, 22 hours per day.

This topic contains 4 replies, has 2 voices.

Last updated by Bruno 3 months ago.

Assigned support staff: Bruno.

Author Posts
July 23, 2019 at 5:30 pm #4268441

tobiasW-11

I am trying to: Activate the WPML Multilingual CMS plugin again

I expected to see: "Plugin activated"

Instead, I got: The plugin can't be activated because it's causing a fatal error:

Parse error: syntax error, unexpected 'class' (T_CLASS), expecting identifier (T_STRING) or variable (T_VARIABLE) or '{' or '$' in /home/tobiaswalter/public_html/wp-content/plugins/sitepress-multilingual-cms/inc/functions.php on line 810

After I recently updated a few pictures on my WordPress / GoDaddy hosted website, I got "Wordpress' White Screen of Death". I set the site to debug mode and found in the log that it was sitepress-multilingual-cms causing in.

I deleted the sitepress-multilingual-cms folder in my plugins and was able to get into the site.

However, I keep getting the above error message whenever I try to activate that plugin again.

I verified my PHP version, after reading the other posts about this topic - it is 7.2.7.

I also deleted the plugin, downloaded it again from your site (version 4.2.7.1) and installed it. Same issue every time - the install works, but when I then click 'activate' I get the above error message (screenshots of that deleting / installing / activating process attached).

Thank you!

July 23, 2019 at 9:08 pm #4268901

Bruno
Supporter

Languages: English (English ) Portuguese (Brazil) (Português )

Timezone: America/Sao_Paulo (GMT-03:00)

Thank you for contacting us. In order for us to test this, we would need to have access to your site and FTP.

I'll need to request temporary access (wp-admin and FTP) to your site - preferably to a test site where the problem has been replicated if possible - in order to be of better help.

You will find the needed fields for this below the comment area when you log in to leave your next reply. The information you will enter is private which means only you and I can see and have access to it.

Note:

*** Please, can I install the Duplicator plugin (or All in One Migration) to make a copy of your site and install it on my test environment? This will help me debug the problem.

*** Note: Please make a full backup of your site.

Privacy and Security when Providing Debug Information for Support: https://wpml.org/purchase/support-policy/privacy-and-security-when-providing-debug-information-for-support/

Thank you.

July 24, 2019 at 8:11 pm #4277389

Bruno
Supporter

Thank you. I was able to log in to both your site and FTP, but in the case of FTP, it appears that the directory is empty. That is, credentials work, but there are no files inside FTP. I will attach a picture for you to see.

Could you please check? If necessary you can edit your private message above which is displayed highlighted.

Thank you.

July 24, 2019 at 8:20 pm #4277443

tobiasW-11

Thank you, Bruno! I googled around for it and found a mention that I would need to specify "public_html" as the directory (instead of /home/tobiaswalter/ferienwohnung-op-wei.de/wpml). I created a new account with that (username: wpml2, I edited the password information in the private message above). Let me know if that works?

July 25, 2019 at 9:16 pm #4286113

Bruno
Supporter

Thank you. This is happening because of an old version of PHP that you are using on your server. You are currently using version 5.4.45, which is even deprecated by PHP.

The WPML requires at least PHP 5.6 version: https://wpml.org/home/minimum-requirements/. Could you please upgrade - or ask your host to upgrade to at least the PHP 5.6? That should fix the problem.

After updating WPML, please let me know if WPML is working correctly.

Thank you.