This is the technical support forum for WPML - the multilingual WordPress plugin.

Everyone can read, but only WPML clients can post here. WPML team is replying on the forum 6 days per week, 22 hours per day.

This topic contains 15 replies, has 2 voices.

Last updated by Yvette 1 year, 5 months ago.

Assigned support staff: Yvette.

Author Posts
May 4, 2018 at 12:39 pm #1974989

Cem A

I am trying to:Have a blog roll page in Turkish that shows the feature image

Link to a page where the issue can be seen:hidden link

I expected to see:Feature images next to each blog post in the blog roll.

Instead, I got:blank areas where the feature image should be.

May 7, 2018 at 7:42 am #2003993

Yvette
Supporter

Languages: English (English ) Spanish (Español )

Timezone: Europe/Madrid (GMT+02:00)

Hello

1. Clarifications

1.1 When you view the individual blog posts in each language, are the featured images showing?
e.g. the singe-post template shows the featured image as expected

1.2 Is the blog page using the standard WordPress template for the blog roll? or is this page using page-builder elements (e.g. a shortcode) to create the blog listing?
e.g. indicate the template that is being used to create the blog listing.

2. Diagnostic Tests
As a test only, temporarily change your active theme to Twenty Seventeen and customise it to use the same blog page. Does the same issue happen?

3. WPML Media
Please confirm that you have completely installed the WPML Media module by visiting the Media library and checking that there is an image entry for each language installed on your site. Each language entry should also have a visible thumbnail on the media listing.

If this is not the case, go to WPML -> Media Translation and re-execute the options on the top-half of the screen.

I wait for your news!

May 8, 2018 at 8:22 am #2025167

Cem A

1. Answer to Clarifications

1.1 When you view the individual blog posts in each language, are the featured images showing?
e.g. the singe-post template shows the featured image as expected
yes

1.2 Is the blog page using the standard WordPress template for the blog roll? or is this page using page-builder elements (e.g. a shortcode) to create the blog listing?
e.g. indicate the template that is being used to create the blog listing.
yes

2. Diagnostic Tests
As a test only, temporarily change your active theme to Twenty Seventeen and customise it to use the same blog page. Does the same issue happen?
I only did a live preview because we have a lot of visitors now. Got an error in the live preview "non-existent changeset uuid"

3. WPML Media
Please confirm that you have completely installed the WPML Media module by visiting the Media library and checking that there is an image entry for each language installed on your site. Each language entry should also have a visible thumbnail on the media listing.
yes

If this is not the case, go to WPML -> Media Translation and re-execute the options on the top-half of the screen.

Number two makes me suspicious that something is not configured correctly with the TR side of our site. I resaved the permalinks but it didn't change anything.

May 8, 2018 at 11:06 am #2028815

Yvette
Supporter

Hello

I suspect that you need to regenerate the thumbnails for the 2nd language.

You can try doing this by installing the plugin "Regenerate Thumbnails". This is described more fully here:
hidden link

Since regenerating thumbnails can be processing intensive, I would recommend just regenerating the thumbnails for one image and then checking if this image now shows on the blog page.

I wait for your news on this.

May 9, 2018 at 8:37 am #2047010

Cem A

Hi,

I installed the plugin you mentioned, and regenerated the image of the latest blog post in TR. It had no effect on the blog roll featured image. Still not showing.

May 9, 2018 at 9:33 am #2047875

Yvette
Supporter

Ok.

Temporary Access to your system
Could you please provide access to your system (wp-admin and ftp) so that I can further investigate this particular problem? The fields to provide this data are included in a private section that I will open for your next response. You can find it above the comments area. The information in this private section is only visible between WPML Support and you.

Thanks

May 9, 2018 at 1:17 pm #2053079

Yvette
Supporter

Hello

I´ve been able to take a closer look and can see that your theme´s template file for the blog roll (i.e. index.php) is including a call to the Aquz Resizer framework script. (see image)

You can read about this dynamic image rsizer here:
hidden link

There seems to be a problem with the way it deals with the thumbnail permalink for the 2nd language.

I´ll need to escalate this to our compatibility team for further investigation.
To do this, I would need a copy of the zip file for the theme. I am opening the private area for you to include this in your next reply. Please include only a downloadable link from a file sharing platform like Fileshare or WeTransfer.

Thanks

May 10, 2018 at 8:13 am #2067212

Cem A

Hello,

Thanks for quick response. We recently moved our WordPress installation, theme and everything to a new server and domain, (site.io --> site.com). Could this be related to the issue? Because on the old site and old domain the blog roll thumbnails worked fine.

Here is the link to the theme zip:
hidden link

May 10, 2018 at 9:45 am #2068753

Yvette
Supporter

Hmmm That information is useful.

In this other site, where everything worked, what URL format did you have for the 2nd language?

e.g. here you are using "Languages per domain" and your 2nd domain is a subdomain of the first.
yoursite.com = English
youstie.com.tr = Turkish

Did you have a similar setup there?

May 10, 2018 at 9:49 am #2068817

Yvette
Supporter

I just did a quick test and can confirm that it works if you use a different URL format (see image)

So, for some reason, the the aqua_resize call does not like the subdomain format. This seems to be a limitation of the library.

Are you able to get a proper domain name for your 2nd language or can you change the URL format to use language per directory?

May 10, 2018 at 10:00 am #2068973

Yvette
Supporter

Interesting....when I try to set the URL back to the subdomain format, the resulting message is "not valid".

Additionally, the TR posts and pages are not able to be displayed.

So, I think there is a problem with using subdomains.

Right now, I´ve left it with the URL format of different language per directory until I hear back from you so that at least your TR site is fully visible.

May 10, 2018 at 10:52 am #2069832

Cem A

Hi,

I had to change the domain settings back because I was have weird performance issues and we need it for our SEO. But now the .com.tr blog page is 404'ing! not sure why!

May 10, 2018 at 11:00 am #2069931

Cem A

Ok. Turkish blog page is now up again. So no worries there.

You mentioned this earlier:
"So, for some reason, the the aqua_resize call does not like the subdomain format. This seems to be a limitation of the library."

What can we do about that? Makes me think our current Turkish subdomain is not configured the same as it was before, since we had the same subdomain setup on our previous domain and all the thumbnails were showing.

May 10, 2018 at 11:22 am #2070157

Yvette
Supporter

OK.

1. Subdomain
You wrote: "Makes me think our current Turkish subdomain is not configured the same as it was before, since we had the same subdomain setup on our previous domain and all the thumbnails were showing."

In the other subdomain, did you also use WPML?

If this was everything was working in the previous domain, then I would second your opinion about the setup of the subdomain being at the heart of the issue.

2. Aqua Resizer call
It is clear that the point of "failure" is the call to the aqua resizer.

I added some debugging code to your index.php template to confirm this. If you look at the code in the red box, you can see that I call aqua resizer with the folllowing URL:
hidden link
The result is to be put in the variable $wpml_image

If it is successful, then the resulting URL should be shown within the "class" declaration on the HTML page.

As you can see, the result if a null string. Which is why the source file for the image is blank.

3. Conclusion
It seems to me that this is a domain problem or a problem with the aqua resizer call.
I am not sure I can do any further debugging at this point to help you out.

If it was the case that the image in the 2nd language was not being found BEFORE calling the aqua resizer, then it would fall into the WPML domain. Also, if the blog listing was not working with ANY url format, then it would be a WPML domain issue.

However, being that neither of these two cases are true, do you agree that this is not a WPML issue?

May 10, 2018 at 3:29 pm #2076011

Cem A

Hi,
Yes we were using WPML without any problem on our old domains. BTW, since I suspected a problem with our domain configuration, I consulted with one of our developers. He found what appears to be a bug in how Aqua resizer works with WPML (similar to what you found). He suspects the bug is with WPML - 'ICL_SITEPRESS_VERSION'. He wrote a code block that replaces the code block noted below from the templates index.phd:

/* WPML Fix */
        if ( defined( 'ICL_SITEPRESS_VERSION' ) ){
            global $sitepress;
            $url = $sitepress->convert_url( $url, $sitepress->get_default_language() );
        }
        /* WPML Fix */

And the thumbnails are now appearing the TR blog!
My questions are:

• when we install a newer version of WMPL will we have this problem
  • what kind of performance issues might we expect with this code removed?
  • You mentioned you edited added some debugging code to our index.php. Did you remove that? If not, could you please?
  • Thanks!

The topic ‘[Closed] Feature images are not showing on the translated blog roll page’ is closed to new replies.