This is the technical support forum for WPML - the multilingual WordPress plugin.

Everyone can read, but only WPML clients can post here. WPML team is replying on the forum 6 days per week, 22 hours per day.

This topic contains 17 replies, has 4 voices.

Last updated by Radu 2 weeks, 5 days ago.

Assigned support staff: Radu.

Author Posts
September 15, 2019 at 12:33 pm #4574615

Vicente

I had a ticket with the same ticket's topic. Last post was in July. But this ticket is closed right now. I was supported by Mihai Apetrei. We were waiting news from a theme's author. Now, after 2 months I have an answer from this author. I would like to contact again with Mihai to comment this new information.

September 16, 2019 at 2:39 pm #4581611

Mihai Apetrei
Supporter

Languages: English (English )

Timezone: Europe/Bucharest (GMT+03:00)

Hi and welcome back.

Can you please let me know what is the new info that you received from the theme author?

Please let me know.

Kind regards,
Mihai Apetrei

September 17, 2019 at 6:13 pm #4590621

Vicente

Hi again Mihai.

I opened a new ticket because previous ticket was closed. Last post in the previous ticket was on July 16. We were waiting for a solution from the theme’s authors. The issue was about some texts belonging to their plugin. These texts were not detectetd by WPML string translation. They had to find a solution to adapt suitably their plugin in order WPML could be able to identify and translate these texts.

A few days ago I wrote them again because we hadn’t news from them since July. I got their answer back, but with bad news. The theme’s authors have finally communicated that they are not able to solve the problem. They tried to update the theme in order to allow the translation of certain components of their plugin (such as field labels of the house model cards).

I copy next exactly their answer:
“Sorry, we tried to apply it in the theme but that was not possible”.

So now we know certainly that there is not solution to use properly WPML with the theme we installed in our website.

In front of this situation one solution would be to change the theme, but I find it would be a very drastic and expensive solution in time and money. In addition, we liked this theme from the beginning and it is really fine and fits perfectly with what we need.

Therefore, what I am going to do, if you confirm that it is correct and possible is to change the strategy. We will forget the string translation solution offered by WPML for the problematic texts we found (a shame because it is the best solution), and we will work with them as if we had 3 websites (Romanian, Spanish and English). Therefore, we will try to edit each version in detail and putting the texts corresponding to each language by hand.

Could you confirm to me that this is a good solution? If not, could you help me giving me the best solution from your point of view?

Thank you in advance.
Best regards,
Vicenç

September 18, 2019 at 8:30 am #4593781

Alejandro
Supporter

Languages: English (English ) Spanish (Español ) Italian (Italiano )

Timezone: Europe/Rome (GMT+02:00)

Hello,
I'll take over this ticket because Mihai is not available right now.

I believe you're talking about this ticket:

https://wpml.org/forums/topic/find-the-strings-of-a-specific-widget-of-a-theme-for-translation/

If that's the case, then if by "creating 3 websites" you mean translate each page manually, then yes, that would be a good solution since I saw that there are many widgets in that theme and they could create you trouble.

By translating manually I mean that you disable the translation editor (by turning off the switch you can see on each page) and you then copy the layout into the other language and translate it.

Let me know how it goes.

September 18, 2019 at 9:36 pm #4600017

Vicente

Hello Alejandro, and thank you for your support.

First I’m going to describe the problem in short in order to understand it and then I will propose the solution I’m thinking to apply.

We began working in our web with a theme that we thought it would be suitable for our needs. And it really is. We were working at first with the Romanian version. When we finished this version we wanted to have a Spanish version and an English version using the WPML plugin. We wanted to use the translation editor (by turning on the switch we can see on each page). And we began to implement the translation of each piece of text in each page.

We were surprised when we found out that not all the pieces of text present in each page were available to translate. Some of them were not there. And so the problem arised. Then we got in touch with the theme author and, on the other hand, with Mihai. After no few posts between the theme author and us, the theme author recognized that there was an issue with his theme and it was not able to be completely translated by WPML.

What exactly is the problem? Some text strings are not detected by WPML and, for this reason, we can not find them neither in the Translation Editor nor in the String Translation interface. Probably this is because these text strings are hard-coded in the PHP (but I’m not sure if this is the technical reason).

The theme author offered us to update the theme in order to give a solution to our case. This was in July. A few days ago I asked again the theme author for a response. And, unfortunately, the news were not good. He couldn’t update the theme.

After knowing certainly that there was not solution to use properly WPML with the theme we installed in our website, I tried the next procedure. And I think that it works. You will confirm if I’m right or wrong.

1) First: I have used the translation editor to translate from Romanian to Spanish. The 100% of the web is not translated because of the text strings I commented before. But a relevant part of it has been translated and this part is fine right now.

2) Second: To translate the text strings missing in the Translation Editor and in the String Translation interface, I simply go in WordPress to the theme addon or widget in the Spanish version. There I edit the texts I need (the ones that remain not translated), writing the term in Spanish and saving. But I do all this without turning off the switch we can see on the right hand (the Translation editor switch), the one you indicated in your post. This switch remains as “ON”.

3) After the previous two steps we can visit the Spanish version of the web and it looks fine.

I’m going to attach a screen image of one of the theme addon editing pages. It is about a house model card. We can see in this card a few fields with a label and data. Each label is a string text as commented before (impossible to find to translate). The rest of the card (the first text and the button text) are translatable using the Translation editor. In this image you can see inside a circle the two terms I have already translated to Spanish through the method explained above. The rest of labels are still in Romanian. I will translate them with the same method.

Conclusion: for me this procedure is OK. What do you think about it? Is it OK for you too?

Thank you again.
Best regards.
Vicenç

September 19, 2019 at 8:08 am #4602389

Alejandro
Supporter

Ok, i think you could try that without issues as long as you don't start mixing the translations.

The procedure you mention is ok as long as it's like this:

1) You translate the site using the translation editor
2) you then go to the translation manually and translate the rest
3) if you need to edit something, you keep translating manually.

I suggest this because the mizing of these 2 methods will result in the page overriding the content you manually translated with the content you translated with the translation editor.

I would suggest that if you have many languages, you try translating them all with the editor the first time, and then switch off the translation editor in that page.

In the meantime i strongly suggest that you invite the author to our go global plan, so they make the theme fully compatible with us (with our devs help, for free).

The only thing they would need to do is just sign up here: https://wpml.org/documentation/theme-compatibility/go-global-program/

In the meantime, also please add the widgets that are not compatible (the ones that do not appear in the translation editor ) so our devs can take a look at them and then also try to contact the author.

Maybe with you inviting them and us trying to contact them, we can get the theme/plugin fully compatible in the future.

You can upload the theme/plugin that makes this widgets here:

Please make sure to list here which are the widgets so we can send that to our developers: hidden link

Regards.

September 19, 2019 at 9:18 am #4602945

Vicente

Hi Alejandro, and thank you for your answer.

I think the procedure I used will work because there are not possibilities to mix translations through the two methods in my case. I mean that the pieces of text that I have to translate manually are not present when I work with translation editor. Even I can’t see them in the String translation interface (strings detected by WPML in all the domains).

I will not translate manually a piece of text that can be translated through the translation editor. Only the missing strings. Doing that way I think overriding translations will be avoided.

By now, I will keep ON the translation editor switch in the page. I will see the behaviour of this procedure and, if necessary, I will change it later.

And finally, talking about the author and the invitation to your global plan, I have to tell you that we already did it. Mihai suggested that and I transferred his suggestion to the author. You can see all the details in my previous ticket (it is closed right now; I opened this new ticket because of this reason). In that ticket you can track all the actions we did and the communications with the author.

I personally prefer that you deal directly with the author all the aspects related to his theme and its translation via WPML. I really think that it is a very goog theme and it is a pitty that it is not ready to translate using WPML. I hope we can get the theme/plugin fully compatible in the future. It will be a very good new for us and for everybody.

Thank you again for your support.
Best regards,
Vicenç

September 19, 2019 at 12:19 pm #4604637

Alejandro
Supporter

You're right, i just re-read the ticket and saw that you have already asked them about this, sorry about that.

Yes, i could (and would like to) send this case to our developers but i'd need you to please upload the theme or the plugin that creates the widgets to the link sent before so we can have as a test, try to fix it ourselves and then be able to ask the author about it.

September 19, 2019 at 12:35 pm #4604703

Vicente

Alejandro, thank you for your interest.

Please, ask the same to the author. I think this issue is about him and his theme. I prefer you deal directly with the author in this case. He can upload the theme and listen to your advice in order to improve the theme and make possible to be translated using WPML. I think proceeding that way makes more sense.

Thanks again.
Best regards,
Vicenç

September 19, 2019 at 2:39 pm #4606407

Alejandro
Supporter

Hello.

I just consulted with our 2nd tier personnel and they told me that in order to be able to contact the author, they need to first take a look at the issue and they need that to come from a client having issues.

I checked the other ticket and i think i can replicate the problem so the only thing i need is for you to upload the theme over here: hidden link

i'll do the rest from there and get the ball rolling, hoepfully we will be able to collaborate with the author of the theme and fix this issue for you in the future.

Regards.

September 20, 2019 at 9:08 am #4610843

Vicente

Hi Alejandro,

As I told you before I think this is an issue to be solved directly by you with the theme author.

I’m not going to upload the theme because I don’t know if the author is interested or not in your help. I think that your help can be very valuable for him and for his theme but, I repeat, this is a decision to be taken by him.

Best regards,
Vicenç

September 23, 2019 at 10:40 am #4622481

Radu
Supporter

Hey Vicenç,

My colleague Alejandro is out of the office for now but I watched this thread so I'll handle this ticket. As I can see, my colleagues already suggested you the Go Global program (https://wpml.org/documentation/theme-compatibility/go-global-program/).

Have you tried to send this link to the theme authors? Basically, all they have to do is fill a form and then our compatibility team will work with the theme authors in order to make sure that the theme and WPML work perfectly together. I was thinking that since you already talked recently with the the MaisonCo team, you'll be able to send them this link.

Please try this one and tell me how it goes.

Thanks,
Radu

September 23, 2019 at 11:39 am #4623175

Vicente

Hi Radu. And thank you for your interest in our case.

This issue has already a long history, through the 2 threads opened. It comes from May 25. In the first thread you will see that I informed Mihai that this information was given to the theme author.

But, considering that solving the translation issue with this theme is very interesting for all of us, I have written again to the theme's author as you asked me. I have transmitted your offer, suggesting him to visit the "WPML Go Global program". I also have sent to him the link, and I have told him that the only thing to do is fill the form. And then he will receive your help in order to make sure that the theme and WPML work perfectly together.

I asked him to keep me informed about his decision. If I have any news I will let you know.

Best regards,
Vicenç

September 23, 2019 at 3:29 pm #4625399

Radu
Supporter

Hey Vicenç,

Thank you for sending the theme authors a message. Our compatibility team is waiting for their submit. Starting the process of testing the theme does not involve that much work (as you could see, it's just a simple form) so things will be moving as soon as we get the message from the theme authors.

Thanks,
Radu

September 23, 2019 at 5:58 pm #4626037

Vicente

You are welcome, Radu. Thanks to you.

We will keep in touch if there is any news regarding this matter.

Best regards,
Vicenç

The topic ‘[Closed] Find the strings of a specific widget of a theme for translation (2n ticket)’ is closed to new replies.