Skip Navigation

This thread is resolved. Here is a description of the problem and solution.

Problem: When i have shipping classes setup, they are calculated in the original language only.

Solution: Please go to the shipping class in question and change it a little (add or remove a number in the shipping class) and save it, then revert the change and save it again.

0% of people find this useful.

This is the technical support forum for WPML - the multilingual WordPress plugin.

Everyone can read, but only WPML clients can post here. WPML team is replying on the forum 6 days per week, 22 hours per day.

This topic contains 31 replies, has 3 voices.

Last updated by rufusB 1 year, 7 months ago.

Assigned support staff: Alejandro.

Author Posts
June 10, 2019 at 1:57 pm #3987847

rufusB

1. Go to Woocommerce Settings>shipping zones>XXXX zone (your zone)
2. deactivate current shipping method
3. activate shipping by weight

To see how it should work-
a) go to this product link hidden link
b) añadir al carrito
c) ver carrito
You will see the correct postage option "ITEM INSURED. POST BY WEIGHT" although for some reason it is not translated.

To see where it doesn't work-
i) go to this product link hidden link
ii) select CD from formato
iii) añadir al carrito
iv) ver carrito
v) you will see a message like "INTRODUCE TU DIRECCIÓN PARA VER LAS OPCIONES DE ENVÍO" and when you pass to the checkout you will not be able to buy the CD.

It occurred to me that the problem might stem from products with multiple variations but I just deactivated the digital variation of "Andar Andando," cleared the cache and found that it still doesn't work. You will also find that "Andar Andando" has a translated shipping class field which makes no difference to the front end function.

It does appear that the products whose translated postage don't work are all in the above 100g band. I tried changing an over 100g product to under 100g and it worked where before it didn't.

June 11, 2019 at 9:59 am #3993937

Alejandro
Supporter

Languages: English (English ) Spanish (Español ) Italian (Italiano )

Timezone: Europe/Rome (GMT+01:00)

i see the problem is localized to certain items only. that explains why the problem didn't appear to me before.

To continue i need you to flush and disable all the caching mechanisms you have on your site, in your case i believe it's:

- Server-side Caching (you might have to ask your hosting about this)
- Cloudflare (put it in pause in the meantime, if possible)
- WP-Rocket cache

then, i'd need you tell me if you could give me another reference of a not working product and then 2 similar products that do work, that way i can try to check their configuration and try to find the problem.

I suspect the problem could be maybe a plugin or a custom field that it's in the products which do not work and not in the ones that do work.

Let me know.

June 11, 2019 at 10:54 am #3994381

rufusB

cloudflare is in development mode for 3 hours, and can be repeated from WP Rocket on the dashboard. All caches turned off and flushed.

All these Colibrí CD's should work as they are all under 100g hidden link

These are over 100g so if my theory is correct they shouldn't work-
hidden link
hidden link

alternatively you could take any product and test it using both shipping weights. If the results are consistent with mine, it will work/not work according the the shipping weight you give the product.

Thanks

June 12, 2019 at 7:33 am #4001149

Alejandro
Supporter

Hi,

So i see that the problem seems to happen exclusively in Spanish.
Since i have to run some invasive and aggressive tests, i'll need you to kindly migrate the site to our cloudways staging server, so we can isolate the problem (No caching involved, and we have full control of the server so we can test that too)

I'll send you the information on a privte message, in a few minutes.

June 12, 2019 at 8:32 am #4001907

rufusB

Over to you.

June 12, 2019 at 2:14 pm #4005065

Alejandro
Supporter

Can you tell me if the migration is over? can you let me know when it is? because it's a bit difficult to know that from my side.

Thanks.

June 12, 2019 at 2:16 pm #4005075

rufusB

Yes, hours ago.

June 14, 2019 at 10:58 am #4020711

rufusB

Any news?

June 14, 2019 at 7:21 pm #4023843

Alejandro
Supporter

Hello,

Even with the theme deactivated and without plugins or cache, the problem remains. in english everything works well but in spanish it doesn't.

Can you please answer me these 2 questions:

1) Did you ever change the default language of the site?
2) How did you translate the shipping classes?

Thanks in advance.

June 14, 2019 at 7:38 pm #4023891

rufusB

1) The default language has never changed to my knowledge.
2) The shipping classes themselves were translated using Woocommerce multilingual>Shipping Classes. The products are translated directly from the backend using the WPML translation editor. Note that sometimes the shipping class appears as a translatable field, other times it doesn't and I'm not at all sure that whether it does or not has any bearing on this issue.
Hope that helps

June 17, 2019 at 1:53 pm #4035899

Alejandro
Supporter

I just wanted to let you know that i ran all the tests i could and send all the details to our developers who are looking into this issue.

As i said before, the problem is definitely somewhere in the translation, because in English everything works well, but the same products in spanish are not showing the class, even though they do have the shipping class assigned.

Let's see what the developers tell me. I'll let you know.

June 20, 2019 at 12:54 pm #4060093

Alejandro
Supporter

Hello, i think i finally found what the issue was!

The problem was a mix of things really:

1) You had to update the shipping class because there were issues with one of them. once you changed it and saved, everything would be updated. (in my case instead i removed a 0 from the decimals, so ".50" became ".5", which is the same)

2) Now you have to make sure the SKU is unique between products. i tested everything with the product "Andar Andando - Azucar Negra" ( hidden link ), and once it tried to save the product it said that the SKU was incorrect. for some reason it DID save the changes but of course when you tried to update the product, the SKU would throw a "silent" error and wouldn't update the translations.

That's why everything worked well on the Source language and not on the translated language.

I tested it on your site as well and for now i left the changes as is, so you can check them out.

The changes were made in the following places:

1) hidden link (added a + sign at the end of the SKU to make it unique)

2) Enabled the shipping by weight for both UK and Europe

3) Removed second decimal zero in both UK and Europe version of the shipping by weight shipping class, so if the price was 1.50 for example, it would now be 1.5 (same value but in a different form). you can set that as it was before if you like.

Try to do the same thing to the other products with issues and that should be all (for now, you only need to check the SKU, make a modification to the product, save it and update its translations)

Let me know how it goes!

June 20, 2019 at 6:32 pm #4062385

rufusB

That's great, thanks, I've gone through every "heavy" CD, checked all the entries were correct and they all now work fine on UK post by weight settings. I haven't checked other postal zones as I don't know how you did that, postage zone is set by IP address location.

It looks to me like the "0" was the only issue, the SKU's don't have any impact in my experience. I've seen that wrong SKU message before but, if I remember right, only where I used the same one directly, at variation level. Where you use the same SKU at product level, it copies to the variations and causes no problem as far as I can see.

One last thing, do you know where to translate "Item insured post by weight" in the attachment?

June 21, 2019 at 10:37 am #4066317

Alejandro
Supporter

Hi there,

WooCommerce initially sets the zones per IP as you mention, yes, but you can change the address to another country and trigger the other countries' shipping classes, so if you set yourself as in Italy or Spain, you'll see the Europe prices instead of the UK ones.

The "Item Insured..." text is translated in WooCommerce > WooCommerce Multilingual > Shipping Classes

The ones i saw were correctly translated into English and Spanish and appear correctly (i mean, in the correct language) so you can check them out over there and translate them if they need to be translated/modified.

Regards.

June 21, 2019 at 11:24 am #4066591

rufusB

Thanks, I tried switching countries and was able to switch shipping zone. The translation was unexpected though. It's not in WCML, the text can't be found there. It's from WC shipping zones and it turns out that it's already translated (possibly by me, but where I do not know) but something is choosing that snippet in English when you choose a UK (or USA) address. Check these screenies. For an Italian address (I found the same with Spain and Germany) you get CD asegurado. Envio por peso. For a UK address- item insured. Post by weight. Any ideas?