This is the technical support forum for WPML - the multilingual WordPress plugin.

Everyone can read, but only WPML clients can post here. WPML team is replying on the forum 6 days per week, 22 hours per day.

This topic contains 7 replies, has 2 voices.

Last updated by Andrés 1 month, 1 week ago.

Assigned support staff: Andrés.

Author Posts
September 6, 2019 at 1:39 am #4522271

alexiaS-2

Tell us what you are trying to do? For Malaysia uniquely, I would like to translate the blogs in both english and malay. How can I do this?

Is there any documentation that you are following? I opened a support ticket here but didn't get a response: https://wpml.org/forums/topic/1-country-with-2-languages-english-malay/#post-4499431

Is there a similar example that we can see?

What is the link to your site? hidden link

September 6, 2019 at 6:46 am #4523499

Andrés
Supporter

Languages: English (English ) Spanish (Español ) French (Français )

Timezone: Europe/Paris (GMT+02:00)

Hello there,

Welcome to WPML support forum.

For translating your posts only towards malay, you can choose the following setup:
- Go to WPML > Settings > Post Types Translation
- Select your Post type (posts) as:
o Translatable - only show translated items
x Translatable - use translation if available or fallback to default language
Then, all your original content will display on the secondary languages, however, you'll be albe to translate from your original language to malay.

Documentation:
https://wpml.org/2018/01/wpml-3-9-released/

Best regards,
Andrés

September 9, 2019 at 12:48 am #4532663

alexiaS-2

Hi Andres,
Thanks for your help. I am not sure not this has resolved my issue. For example, I want all articles in my blog.tryandreview.com/my to show in malaysian. Here's an example: hidden link

But, I want an option (only for blog.tryandreview.com/my) to translate the post in english.

How can I achieve this?

September 9, 2019 at 5:13 am #4533573

Andrés
Supporter

Hello there,

I'm not sure to understand you. Let's imagine this scenario:
- Your site's default language is Malaysian.
- You have several languages installed.
- You want to translate those posts into English.
- For all other languages installed you want to display the malaysian articles.

If this is what your are looking for, my previous response should work.

If you are looking for, could you please provide me more details so I can help you further?

Regards

September 9, 2019 at 8:48 pm #4540163

alexiaS-2

If you go to hidden link, you can see that I have 10 different country subdirectories. Each country displays articles in English OR a foreign language.

For Malaysia (hidden link), I want the articles to display primarily in Malay, but have an option to view the article in English too.

September 10, 2019 at 5:09 am #4541855

Andrés
Supporter

In that case, you can create a new Malaysian language. In that case, you will have 11 languages, where one will be for Malaysian and another for English Malaysian:
https://wpml.org/documentation/support/editing-wpmls-languages-table/

Otherwise, you can manually add a link to your Malaysian pages pointing to the English language.

September 10, 2019 at 6:35 pm #4548203

alexiaS-2

But if I create a new Malaysian page, there will be 2 flags on my Top Bar for Malaysia. This is not what I want. hidden link

Is there a different solution? Perhaps a link in each unique Malaysia article that allows for translation?

September 11, 2019 at 5:15 am #4550661

Andrés
Supporter

I'm afraid that WPML does not offer a similar feature. One thing you could do is:
- Create a new malasyan language.
- Hide the flag on the language switcher.
- Manually add a link to the new malasyan language into your pages content.

Otherwise, you could create some custom code in order to achieve it. However, this is out of the scope of support.