This is the technical support forum for WPML - the multilingual WordPress plugin.

Everyone can read, but only WPML clients can post here. WPML team is replying on the forum 6 days per week, 22 hours per day.

Please make sure to update to WPML to the latest and check our list of Known Issues before reporting

This topic contains 7 replies, has 2 voices.

Last updated by Riffaz 1 year, 2 months ago.

Assigned support staff: Riffaz.

Author Posts
December 14, 2018 at 10:33 pm #3003198

reneeF-2

Hi,

On our website, we use Elementor, so we need to use the translation management to make it easier to translate pages and keep the layout. Site in French (original) and English (translated)

Unfortunately, on a few specific pages, the content in the translated language is different (ie. no video or different layout). So for those pages, I need to translate them manually. As long as I remember to edit the pages manually, the actual behavior is fine. But with collaborator editing the website too, I can't be sure they'll remember (or even know) that some pages need manual editing.

So my request is to add a checkbox in the original language article to "force manual translation" of those pages. Such an option is essential, because if we forget and click the "translate icon", we'll lose all the changes in English.

December 16, 2018 at 11:24 am #3005507

Riffaz
Supporter

Languages: English (English )

Timezone: Asia/Colombo (GMT+05:30)

Hi,

Thank you for contacting WPML support.

Yes, it's possible. Here is the guide to manual translations: https://wpml.org/documentation/translating-your-contents/creating-translations-manually/

Simply:
- Go to the edit screen of the page, on original language
- Switch the language on the Language Switcher at the admin Top bar
- It will display a warning, click on "Edit Anyway" - Edit the page and save

This will changes the editor for ALL pages, and depending on the page builder, sometimes translated content is lost when switching between translation editor and manual translation, so I recommend that you make a full backup of your website before that.

Let me know the results, please.

Regards,
Riffaz.

December 16, 2018 at 4:46 pm #3005861

reneeF-2

Thanks for the reply. Yes, we know that.

Our request is to add an option so we can force a specific page to be translated manually, but to keep the translation manager. We have dozens of page built with elementor so we need to use the translation manager. But for 2-3 pages, we don't want our collaborator to edit those pages with the translation manager, otherwise we'll lose the translation.

We're sure many other people face this issue (we've found many threads on internet related to this). That's why we propose this idea as a new feature for WPML.

The feature could simply be a little check box in the article (in the original language). It could be named something like "Force manual translation". This way, those pages would not open the translation management when we want to translate them, but would open the page in the article editor.

Is that clearer?

December 17, 2018 at 12:32 pm #3008066

Riffaz
Supporter

Hi,

I escalated to this to the relevant department.
Please be patient till we update you again.

Regards,

January 27, 2019 at 4:45 am #3132326

Riffaz
Supporter

Hi,

We need more votes for this.
For now we are postponing this.
We will update you again once we open this.

Regards,

January 27, 2019 at 4:52 am #3132330

reneeF-2

Oh, but how can people vote for it? I'm sure there are a lot of people looking for this possibility, but they don't ask for it (or they don't know where to vote for it!)

I don't understand. It's a really essential feature, and I'm surprise it's not already there. On all my websites, there are needs for one or two pages with a different content.

January 28, 2019 at 10:45 am #3135017

Riffaz
Supporter

Hi,

thank you very much for your input.

I'm glad to inform you that this was already on our list of features requests and I just added your vote to it.

If or when exactly our developers will add a new feature is not up to us to determine.

Each issue reported in, whether a bug or a new feature request, is taken seriously into consideration. It is given a high or low priority based on a number of factors. Factors which those with the overview of all things related are in the best position to determine.

Best regards,

January 28, 2019 at 11:25 am #3135132

Riffaz
Supporter

Hi,

We have a very good news for you.

You can choose the translation method per page, per post type or for the entire site in the next version of WPML.
That is even more you expected. 🙂

Just wait for the next version.

Regards,
Riffaz.