Please make sure to update to WPML to the latest and check our list of Known Issues before reporting

This is the technical support forum for WPML - the multilingual WordPress plugin.

Everyone can read, but only WPML clients can post here. WPML team is replying on the forum 6 days per week, 22 hours per day.

This topic contains 8 replies, has 2 voices.

Last updated by Julie 6 years, 5 months ago.

Assigned support staff: Andreas Neuber.

Author Posts
September 9, 2013 at 7:21 pm #219423

Julie

Hi,

I'm working on a multilingual site which requires access to two different French versions, one for France and the other for Quebec. I have already added fr_FR as a language, but how do I go about adding a fr_CA locale? Do I need to create a .mo file? I have tried to add the language to the list, but as you will see in the printscreen, it gives me an error message. I am a wordpress beginner, I have researched the matter already, but haven't been able to understand the solutions proposed to others. I'd appreciate getting some help with the issue.

thanks in advance.

September 9, 2013 at 7:33 pm #219432

Julie

I forgot to put the screenshot!

September 10, 2013 at 7:03 am #219542

Andreas Neuber
Supporter

Languages: English (English ) German (Deutsch )

Hello Julie,

You were definitely on the right track.
This is the place to add new self-defined languages.

# What we see on the screenshot is what appeared after entering the "fr_CA" language and hitting the the "Sauvegarder" button?

# What was the English name for the "fr_CA" language ?

Thanks!

September 10, 2013 at 12:36 pm #252305

Julie

hello Andreas,

Yes what you see in the first printscreen is what appeared after entering the info and hitting the "sauvegarder" button.
Here is another printscreen showing you exactly what I tried to enter. Should have I created an .mo file beforehand? I don't think I quite understand yet what that file does.

One other message I get, is that the language code already exists. Obviously I am trying to use "fr" as I haven't found any other code representing Canadian French....

hopefully there is an easy way to work around this, as I really need both French locales.

your help is greatly appreciated!

September 10, 2013 at 7:12 pm #262380

Andreas Neuber
Supporter

Hello Julie,

Thanks. I've researched a bit and at the moment we have an open bug ticket for a similar issue.
Could you provide us with credentials for your website and we have a closer look?
I will send you an email with more details in a minute. Thanks in advance!

# "fr" as language code
A language code cannot be used for another language because its the "unique identifier" for the system.
You could e.g. use "fr-ca" or "frca" (once everything runs well).

September 16, 2013 at 4:56 pm #264729

Julie

Hi,

I have replied to your email, and I'm waiting to hear from you.

September 17, 2013 at 10:30 am #265071

Andreas Neuber
Supporter

Hello Julie,

Thanks for the credentials - I've sent you on more email.

September 18, 2013 at 6:46 am #265507

Andreas Neuber
Supporter

Hello Julie,

I had a look and added successfully a new "French-CA" language.
Can be done under "WPML > Languages > Edit Languages".

In case happen to have already a fr_CA.mo you can import its translations under "WPML > Localisation du thème et des modules d'extension > box 'Chaînes du thème'".

September 18, 2013 at 12:54 pm #265777

Julie

Hello Andreas!

I just had a look and it worked indeed! I don't know what you did differently than what I had tried, but it works! So I'm happy!

thank you!