This is the technical support forum for WPML - the multilingual WordPress plugin.

Everyone can read, but only WPML clients can post here. WPML team is replying on the forum 6 days per week, 22 hours per day.

Tagged: 

This topic contains 34 replies, has 2 voices.

Last updated by Lauren 1 week, 6 days ago.

Assigned support staff: Lauren.

Author Posts
September 30, 2019 at 5:21 pm #4666831

rohanJ

I am trying to: Translate pages

Link to a page where the issue can be seen:hidden link

I expected to see: The slider and other content (blue bar) - Convent is also missing in all the other French pages.

Instead, I got: Missing slider and missing content (unable to edit the page with default Editor - Cormerstone.

September 30, 2019 at 6:29 pm #4667205

Lauren
Supporter

Languages: English (English )

Timezone: America/New_York (GMT-04:00)

To best troubleshoot the issue, please make a snapshot of your site using the Duplicator plugin: https://wordpress.org/plugins/duplicator/. This will allow me to try and duplicate the error so that I can run further tests without interrupting your live site.

Once the snapshot is complete, either upload the snapshot ZIP file and the installer.php file to a file sharing service such as Dropbox (and share the link in your reply) or right click the Duplicator links in your wp-admin and paste in your reply.

Please note: It is important to reduce the size of the package so please exclude some paths like /cache or /uploads and also exclude archives and media files.

I will also need the username and password of an account that was created BEFORE creating the duplicator package.

I will enable the next reply to be private so only you and I have access to it!

October 1, 2019 at 8:07 pm #4675219

rohanJ

I just wanted to know if you guys had a chance to look at the problem?

I'm sending you 2 screenshots that show the issues visually.

Error 4: French Home page with errors
Error 5: English Home page with NO errors (This is what I need to see in the French version as well, except that the text is already in French)

October 1, 2019 at 8:09 pm #4675265

Lauren
Supporter

Thanks for sending the files. I have set up a copy of your site and I can see that the theme has an update available. Can you please update your theme to the latest version and see if that makes any difference? I tried to do that on the test site but I don't have a valid purchase code to allow for the update.

Please let me know if there is any change. Thanks!

October 1, 2019 at 8:10 pm #4675269

rohanJ

I already did that, but the problem remains the same. The problem is with the WPML plug-in, not the theme. Also, as I translate pages, some of the content entered into the WPML Editor doesn't show up on the page. I have to manually copy the French content via WordPress.

October 2, 2019 at 2:09 pm #4681297

rohanJ

Hi Lauren,

I was able to fix the slider myself, but I still need Cornerstone to work. Can you look into that? or is there another senior programmer who can look at this?

October 2, 2019 at 5:28 pm #4682425

Lauren
Supporter

Thanks for your patience while I continued to troubleshoot. The first thing I did on the test site is delete the French translation of the homepage and then create a new one using the WPML Duplicate feature. After doing this, I could not see the content on the frontend as you explained. However, after duplicating to French, I COULD see the layout options in the Cornerstone Editor when editing the French page.

I think there is an issue with the way Cornerstone page builder is working with languages in directories. I notice that if you use the WPML admin language switcher to switch to French and then edit with Cornerstone, the URL is different than if you edit the English page and then use the Cornerstone language switcher.

To test this, I went to WPML -> Languages and changed the URL format to languages added as parameters. Next, I edited the English page and just made any small change. Then, the translations showed as needing an update. I updated the French page using the WPML Translation Editor, marked all fields as complete, and I could then see the content on the front end.

Is it possible to test changing the URL format on your site to see if you have the same results?

October 2, 2019 at 5:43 pm #4682435

rohanJ

I cannot change the way the URL parameter because it will affect the ranking of the Spanish pages, meaning, I will change the URL for all the Spanish pages.

I tested the URL looking at the way the Spanish home page displays the URL: hidden link

I tried changing the French url to match it, except for the page number (2638):
hidden link

It didn't work. I also notice that WMPL changed Cornerstone as the default editor for the site. How do I get it back as default?

I translated most of the site already, but I need to be able to edit the pages using Cornerstone ASAP. There are pages with issues that need to be address urgently. Can you see if there is another way to solve this?

October 2, 2019 at 7:19 pm #4682851

Lauren
Supporter

The best way to translate your content moving forward is to use the WPML Translation Editor. I tested this again and when I duplicate the page to Spanish and French, the content all displays in the editor, so there should be no reason go have to use the Cornerstone builder to change the content.

Furthermore, when I switched back to using different languages in directories and tried to edit the Spanish content using Cornerstone Builder instead of the WPML editor, the content does not display on the frontpage.

So in summary, if you want to use the Cornerstone builder, it looks like you will need to change the URL format to languages added as parameter. This is something that our developers have brought to the attention of Cornerstone authors already and it sounds like Cornerstone will address this in a future release.

Otherwise, you can duplicate the page (please keep in mind that after deleting the original French translation and removing it from trash, after duplicating the homepage to French again, the translated content displayed in the WPML editor and I just had to check the box to mark as complete. I did not have to re-translate the content). Then, using the WPML editor, click "Translate Independently" and update the content in the editor.

You mentioned that "WMPL changed Cornerstone as the default editor for the site.". WPML can't change Cornerstone settings. If you mean that it is set to manual translation, then you can enable the WPML editor from any page. This switch is in the Languages box and once you click it to enable it, a pop up will display asking if you want to change this for just this page, all pages, or all content.

Please let me know if you need any further assistance and I will be happy to help.

October 2, 2019 at 7:35 pm #4682909

rohanJ

I translated by clicking on the icon next to the English page. It looks like a +, but after clicking it it changes into a pen (see image). Is this what you mean by duplicating?

I don't have a problem creating pages in Spanish or English, only in French. I think that there is an obvious issue with WPML that needs to be addressed by you or someone with more knowledge - no offense.

I already talked to the people from the X Theme, who also provide Cornerstone, and to them, it is obvious that WPML has an issue. If it didn't, then I could use Cornerstone in the French pages in the same way I used them with the Spanish pages. I'm also experiencing issues with the French Portfolio pages, among the others I mentioned initially. I cannot wait for a Cornerstone update and hope that this solves the problem WPML is causing.

I want someone with deeper knowledge in WPML to look at the problem. If you guys cannot solve it, nobody else can. You are the providers of the plug-in, and we pay for support and updates in order to receive assistance when needed. Please forward this ticket to a senior programmer or supervisor that can actually look at the issue an solve it. This is an urgent matter as our site is live and cannot afford to remain as it is now. Thanks!

October 2, 2019 at 7:47 pm #4682991

Lauren
Supporter

No, I do not mean to click the "+" icon. I mean to check the box that says Duplicate. This will copy all of the content to your secondary language, and I think this is the reason why some of the content was missing from the French translation. Can you please test this? You can create a test page if you would like to test this theory. Duplicate the page to the second language (the duplicate check box should be right next to the "+"icon". Then, when you click the pencil to edit the translation, you will see the option to "Translate Independently". click that and then edit using the translation editor.

We are aware of the issue and have been in contact with Cornerstone about it. It is related to the issue I mentioned previously, with the format of the URL and the way that the cornerstone internal language switcher works. Our developers are already working with Cornerstone developers to resolve it.

Also, on my test site, I encountered the issue with both Spanish and French, not just on French, when trying to translate manually. There is a known issue when mixing Cornerstone classic elements with other elements that requires the translation editor to be used instead of manual translation. This is what pointed me to the idea of duplicating the page and then editing with Translation Editor, which resolves the issue on my test site.

I will be happy to escalate this ticket, however, I need to confirm if the method of page duplication works or not, so that I can include the correct details to our second tier team. Please let me know the results.

October 2, 2019 at 7:57 pm #4683027

rohanJ

I selected a page that I didn't intend to translate and I can see the elements of the page in Cornerstone. I try turning on WPML Editor, but I didn't see a change. I could use this technique, but how about the pages that I already translated? How can I duplicate the page without having to redo all the work?

October 2, 2019 at 8:00 pm #4683041

Lauren
Supporter

When I duplicated the page to French the translations displayed in the WPML editor. I just had to check the box to mark each element as complete. So if that works, you won't need to redo the work.

However, I also tested duplicating the page to Spanish and while the content did display in the Cornerstone Builder, if I tried to translate in the Cornerstone builder, the translations did not display on the front end And I think that is due to the issue with languages in directories, but you are welcome to test this on your end.

October 2, 2019 at 8:03 pm #4683073

rohanJ

I turned on the WPML for the test page I mentioned before, but it doesn't popup when going into the page for editing. Also, do I need to delete the already created pages to be able to create a duplicate the way you explained?

October 2, 2019 at 8:18 pm #4683103

Lauren
Supporter

If you were previously translating the page manually, it will need to be updated before it will switch back to the Translation editor. You can also check in WPML-> Translation Management -> Jobs to see if the page you are working on is already in progress.

As for existing translations, yes, you can only duplicate a page if the translation does not yet exist. You will also need to remove the pages from the trash before you will be able to duplicate. Another option, you can disconnect the translated page. In the Languages box, you should see "this is a translation of" and you can set that to None.