Please make sure to update to WPML 4.3.6 and check our list of Known Issues before reporting

This is the technical support forum for WPML - the multilingual WordPress plugin.

Everyone can read, but only WPML clients can post here. WPML team is replying on the forum 6 days per week, 22 hours per day.

This topic contains 19 replies, has 2 voices.

Last updated by Tia 4 years ago.

Assigned support staff: Tia.

Author Posts
January 15, 2016 at 4:33 pm #789143

Renzo

Hello,
I've installed WPML on a site. I did a test to see if everything worked but I found the following problem: when I have to show a gallery of one specific category (specifying the number of the category to be displayed), in the language different from the original (Italian) does not show me anything.
But if I want to display all categories, it works!

URL of (my) website where problem appears: hidden link

URL of (my) website where problem DOES NOT appear: hidden link

I can not understand why!
The theme was guaranteed that it was prepared Multilingual.

Please help me! :(((

Renzo Granzotto

January 16, 2016 at 2:36 am #789408

Tia

Hello, Renzo. Thank you for contacting WPML Support. I am happy to help you with this.

The "Madrid Premium Multi-Purpose WordPress Theme" theme does not appear in our theme compatibility list: https://wpml.org/documentation/theme-compatibility/ which means we have not done official testing to ensure WPML readiness.

But no worries. We will work to resolve your issue and communicate with the theme authors to work toward a resolution.

First, there is a possibility that you may need an additional plugin called 'WPML Media' to make media translatable.

You can obtain it from here: https://wpml.org/account/downloads/ and set up is here: https://wpml.org/documentation/getting-started-guide/media-translation/

Please let me know if this does not resolve your issue. The next step would be for me to look at the theme files and see if the images are being called correctly for the second language.

January 18, 2016 at 8:50 am #789866

Renzo

Hello you,
I added the plugin media-translation, and now when I translate a gallery of the portfolio does not lose the featured image. But the gallery is not shown in the , and the problem persists.
hidden link

January 18, 2016 at 5:42 pm #790454

Tia

Can you tell me if you already checked the following? This will help narrow down the issue:

** IMPORTANT ** Please backup a working copy of site files and database before continuing.

A. Update all WPML plugins & WordPress core.

B. Minimal Set Up ( 1. All plugins except WPML disabled 2. and then Temporarily changing the theme to a default WordPress such as TwentyFifteen 3. then finally enable all plugins and disable all WPML related ).

C. If the issue is gone after Minimal Set Up steps above, activate each plugin one by one to find out which plugin is causing the issue.

Does the issue still persist when you do each step above?

If so, I would like to request temporary access (wp-admin and FTP) to your site to take better look at the issue. You will find the needed fields for this below the comment area when you log in to leave your next reply.

The information you will enter is private which means only you and I can see and have access to it.

** IMPORTANT **

- Please make a backup of site files and database before providing us access.

- If needed, I will be using a plugin called 'Duplicator' (https://wordpress.org/plugins/duplicator) to make a local copy of the website for testing purposes. Once the problem is resolved I will delete the local site. Do I have your permission to move forward with Duplicator?

- If you do not see the wp-admin/FTP fields this means your post & website login details will be made PUBLIC. DO NOT post your website details unless you see the required wp-admin/FTP fields. If you do not, please ask me to enable the private box. The private box looks like this:

hidden link

January 21, 2016 at 2:46 am #792768

Tia

Thank you for that information. I am looking into the issue and will respond shortly after investigating.

January 22, 2016 at 3:38 am #793871

Tia

I am debugging and it would be best to be able to edit/upload with FTP to test the theme edits. Can you send me FTP information for the /test/ folder?

I have enabled the private box.

January 22, 2016 at 9:43 pm #794710

Tia

That will work great. We typically use Duplicator: https://wordpress.org/plugins/duplicator/ and you can pass the zip link along via Google Drive or DropBox via the private box. It has been enabled.

I did do some light testing on the test install and because it was through the WordPress theme editor the file resulted in a 500 error, probably whitespace after the php closing tag. To resolve, replace the theme files from a backup or the live site to the /test/wp-content/themes/ directory and it should override & clear it.

January 26, 2016 at 10:12 am #796344

Renzo

I re-installed the theme but the problem remains.

January 27, 2016 at 2:47 am #797190

Tia

To further debug the problem I would like to replicate your site locally.

For this I will need to temporarily install a plugin called "Duplicator" (https://wordpress.org/plugins/duplicator/) on your site. This will allow me to create a copy of your site and your content.

Once the problem is resolved I will delete the local site.

Do I have your permission to move forward with Duplicator?

January 27, 2016 at 8:20 am #797295

Renzo

Yes, you can install duplicator. You can do what you want in this site, because it's not the real site but it's only a copy of the real site.

January 28, 2016 at 11:05 pm #799346

Tia

Thank you.

I have confirmed this is a theme issue. For some reason the Category ID in Appearances > Page Builder > Scale Classiche temp-en > columns_grid doesn't seem to be properly handling the category.

To ensure that this theme/plugin is made compatible with WPML we need to contact the theme/plugin author and work with him on resolving the issue.

Could you please provide a link to your theme’s/plugin’s download ( or purchase) page as well as contact information (email?) to the theme’s/plugin’s author so we can contact them?

You do not need to do anything other than providing the theme’s author name and email. We will contact the author.

January 29, 2016 at 10:00 am #799617

Renzo

The author is Code125 (hidden link) but the theme is no longer supported... 🙁
If you could help me to fix it I would be very grateful, otherwise I will have to completely redo the site... and the customer is already angry because it is waiting for the changes. :(((

January 29, 2016 at 11:44 pm #800324

Tia

Usually we cannot do custom code work but I will take one more look for you and see if there's a quick workaround.

Worst case scenario:

- I can recommend you to our custom programmers who can assist with this portion.
- Or you might find a plugin just to run this particular portion of the functionality and use a shortcode in the template running the post but there's no guarantees of being WPML compatible. Try our official list first: https://wpml.org/documentation/plugins-compatibility/ . I see Mtphr galleries, NextGen, etc. Maybe one of those has a shortcode you can just insert into the column_grid template portion?
- We will work with the theme author through our Compatibility Team but this process can take awhile.

I'll take another look and get back with you.

February 1, 2016 at 12:57 pm #801285

Renzo

Thank you, I am very grateful.

February 2, 2016 at 3:18 pm #802680

Tia

Hello, Renzo. Just wanted to let you know: I will be having an update for you today. Thank you for your patience.