This is the technical support forum for WPML - the multilingual WordPress plugin.

Everyone can read, but only WPML clients can post here. WPML team is replying on the forum 6 days per week, 22 hours per day.

This thread is resolved. Here is a description of the problem and solution.

Problem: How can I add a consent for users to allow cookies?

Solution: Currently we don't have a hook that requires consent. Please review our documentation on GDPR compliance here: https://wpml.org/documentation/privacy-policy-and-gdpr-compliance/

0% of people find this useful.

This topic contains 3 replies, has 2 voices.

Last updated by Lauren 1 year, 5 months ago.

Assigned support staff: Lauren.

Author Posts
May 21, 2018 at 6:30 am #2198978

corneliusK

Hello,
thanks a lot for the very helpful plugin that helps us to provide the information on our website to a larger, international audience.

We took a lot of effort in providing the best experience in regards to the GDPR to our users.
I.e. we do not set cookies e.g. for statistics _before_ they actively have allowed this.

I am wondering how this is possible with WPML. It seems that cookies are set in browser-redirect.js.
It would be great if the function setCookie() in line 89 would allow to only set the cookie, if a certain consent was given in advance.
This of course is only testable, if a cookie is set.
It would be great, if you would provide a certain hook. This is how we currently handling it with Matomo.

If this consent cookie is not set, the cookies for the plugins will not be set. I think this should be easily possible with a few lines of javascript. But I do not want to change the original fail, so that we do not break the update.

Thanks a lot
Cornelius

May 22, 2018 at 4:41 pm #2210447

Lauren
Supporter

Languages: English (English )

Timezone: America/New_York (GMT-04:00)

Thank you for contacting WPML support. I'll be happy to help you with this.

Currently we don't have a hook that requires consent. Please review our documentation on GDPR compliance here: https://wpml.org/documentation/privacy-policy-and-gdpr-compliance/

I will be happy to suggest your changes to our development team, and ultimately they will decide what will be changed in the future. Otherwise, if you need custom changes done soon, I can suggest you consider contacting one of our certified partners from this link: http://wpml.org/documentation/support/wpml-contractors/

Please let me know if you need any further assistance and I will be happy to help.

May 22, 2018 at 5:51 pm #2210863

corneliusK

Hello Lauren,

thanks a lot for your response.

Admitted the GDPR is a bit challenging since several things are not quite clear. In Germany we had the cookie notification ("by the way, our site uses cookies") already for several years.
I heart a lot of German data privacy guys' opinions that simply stating, that it is not enough (not compliant with GDPR), if a site simply states that it uses cookies.

And also from the standpoint of an end user, I would not be happy with long prosa of stating which types of cookies are used. I read this also on twitter today and honestly felt very mocked by their privacy statement: "We use all kind of cookies, for statistics and marketing and tracking. Know it! But you can do nothing about it."

To my understanding this is not the idea of the GDPR. The user has to be capable of choosing: "No I do not want you to set cookie 'A' and use my data for markting".

And this is why I think it is important to enable the user to decide to not set cookies in the first place.

So I am very grateful if you share this with development.

Kind regards
Cornelius

May 22, 2018 at 6:31 pm #2211281

Lauren
Supporter

Languages: English (English )

Timezone: America/New_York (GMT-04:00)

I appreciate your input, and I have shared this with out development team. Thanks!