Skip Navigation

This is the technical support forum for WPML - the multilingual WordPress plugin.

Everyone can read, but only WPML clients can post here. WPML team is replying on the forum 6 days per week, 22 hours per day.

This topic contains 9 replies, has 2 voices.

Last updated by Izzi Hassan 11 months, 3 weeks ago.

Assigned support staff: Izzi Hassan.

Author Posts
December 4, 2019 at 1:10 pm #5068877

maxH-14

I am trying to: change the language quality when translating with Gengo, an essential part of the tool.

Link to a page where the issue can be seen: N/A

I expected to see: the ability to choose the translation quality level

Instead, I got: nothing.

December 6, 2019 at 7:36 am #5081531

Izzi Hassan
Supporter

Languages: English (English )

Timezone: Asia/Karachi (GMT+05:00)

Hi,

Thank you for reaching out to WPML Support.

I took a look at our records and it appears that selecting the Gengo Tier or Quality level is not possible when integrating with WPML at the moment.

It is a feature that we are in communication with Gengo to implement and you can help speed up the process by requesting the feature from Gengo as well.

However, I did see that after contacting Gengo support, our clients mark their issue as resolved. I was unable to test this but perhaps Gengo offers a way to set this on their end for all jobs coming via their API.

Please do let me know if you contact Gengo and what their response is so that we can provide better support to you and our other Translation Services clients.

Thank you!

December 9, 2019 at 8:49 am #5090771

maxH-14

Hi Izzi,

Thank you for confirming the deficiency in the WPML-Gengo integration.

I have requested that the same from Gengo, who have referred me back to WPML, offering no assistance. I am acutely aware that Gengo offer an open API, meaning that there is no communication required with them to make this requested change. The responsibility and ability to add this feature should lie with the party which created the integration. As that resides on the WPML translation proxy server, I would expect that this party is you, but accept that this may have been created by them, please do let me know.

I can't see why tickets have been marked as resolved after talking to Gengo, but I would hope to also find a resolution soon. I am also quite disappointed that this feature has been requested for years and has still not been made available.

Please do let me know if there are options to commission this work, if the integration was created by WPML.

Kind regards,
Max.

December 9, 2019 at 9:51 am #5091343

Izzi Hassan
Supporter

Hi Max,

Thank you for getting back to me. I've reached out to some members of our team who are not yet available (possibly due to different timezones).

I will find out why we are unable to provide this feature and whether it will be available in the foreseeable future, or if there's a possible workaround for this.

I will update you as soon as I have more information.

December 10, 2019 at 6:07 am #5096899

Izzi Hassan
Supporter

Hi Max,

Just to keep you updated, I found some older communications that suggested we required a formal agreement with Gengo before we could provide the ability to select a translation quality level, which they did not seem interested in doing at the time.

After your last message, I brought this to the attention of our compatibility team who are now re-evaluating whether we can improve the service on our end.

I will update you once they get back to me!

December 10, 2019 at 9:36 am #5098057

maxH-14

Thank you for your continued support. Please find the following email from Gengo for context:

Dec 10, 16:06 JST

I'm really sorry, but the tier parameter is set by whoever is using our API to order translations through Gengo. We do not have any overriding power to manipulate their payloads.

I did a little digging though, and it seems that WPML does not have a way to do this. From this forum post dated just last October, WPML devs say:
"I can only confirm that it is not possible to select quality level when sending content for translation from WPML to Gengo. We added this to our queue as a feature request."

Which is what they also said back in January 18th last year.

I'm not sure why WPML support also says "To speed things up could you please also ask Gengo support to add this feature?" as the API already allows for its users to choose between quality tiers.

I am looking forward to the implementation of this feature. Thank you again for your time.

Kind regards,
Max.

December 10, 2019 at 10:50 am #5098817

Izzi Hassan
Supporter

Hi,

Thank you for the extra information!

What is happening is that because this is not a common feature among translation services, but rather a specific feature that we have to implement for Gengo, Gengo needs to contact us to implement extra features. Whatever policies both companies have did not permit us to reach an agreement for extra features to be worked on by our developers in the past.

The more people that request a feature from both companies, the higher the priority that is placed on the development, testing, and rollout of that feature. Your request has been logged with us and I think Gengo will have done the same on their end.

I think this feature will happen eventually but not in the next couple of months as all the companies are busy dealing with PHP 7.4, WordPress 5.3/5.4 and all the updates that came with these.

By default, the quality level is set to "Standard", in case there was any confusion about that.

I am sorry I couldn't be of more assistance at this point.

December 10, 2019 at 11:16 am #5099141

maxH-14

Thank you, this is disappointing as I am sure you can understand.

I do realize that there is little incentive for WPML to develop this feature, based on the fixed cost of the plugin, for a small subset of users. As such, I understand will not be high on the prioritization backlog.

Would it be possible to speak with someone at WPML with the prospect of commissioning this custom work at a fair price, in order to speed up the development?

Thank you.

December 11, 2019 at 2:45 pm #5107985

Izzi Hassan
Supporter

Hi,

Unfortunately, there is no way to commission our developers for custom work. We have a network of contractors that we recommend when custom development is required by a client. Since the Gengo integration works outside of your website, on a proxy server, a contractor would not be able to access the code that needs to be changed.

I've asked my team to look into any possible workaround or even if we can hardcode a different quality level for your user. I am happy to update you once I get a final answer.

I'm sorry that we may not be able to provide you with a solution here but please rest assured that if one is possible, I will make sure you are made aware of it at the earliest.

Thank you!

December 16, 2019 at 10:22 am #5137301

Izzi Hassan
Supporter

Hi Max,

Unfortunately, we will not be able to provide a custom solution here.

As per our compatibility team, Gengo needs to request the extra features and enter into an agreement with WPML for our team to implement those features.

I know this really isn't what you wanted to hear but we hope you will be able to work with the current implementation until we implement some new features for Gengo or generally for Translation Services.

Thank you!