Skip Navigation

This is the technical support forum for WPML - the multilingual WordPress plugin.

Everyone can read, but only WPML clients can post here. WPML team is replying on the forum 6 days per week, 22 hours per day.

This topic contains 28 replies, has 2 voices.

Last updated by Raja Mohammed 4 years, 7 months ago.

Assisted by: Raja Mohammed.

Author Posts
August 2, 2019 at 6:31 am #4327211

Cara Mc Donough

Thanks Raja for your feedback. Much appreciated.

Hopefully, we can get this resolved sometime next week. Although, interesting to hear that developers are now involved, sounds like a bigger fix.

Please continue to keep me updated.

Thanks again,
Cara

August 2, 2019 at 9:25 am #4328449

Raja Mohammed
Supporter

Languages: English (English )

Timezone: Asia/Kolkata (GMT+05:30)

Hi Cara,

I have a workaround solution for you,

While adding a redirect for the second language don't include the language param but add only the end url,

Just add the source URL without the language.
NOT - /de/test-seite
BUT just test-seite

For eg, if the URL is domian.com/de/test-seite in the Yoast Redirect add only the part after the language param test-seite this will help in resolving the issue temporarily.

I hope this helps you better.

Kind regards
Raja

August 2, 2019 at 10:14 am #4328835

Cara Mc Donough

Hi Raja,
Many thanks for your feedback. Unfortunately, the workaround does not work.

I deleted the existing “307 Redirect” for /de/java-entwickler and setup again as follows:
Old URL: java-entwickler
New URL: karriere

Result: the redirect is still going to the English career page (hidden link)
In the attached screenshot you can see the result of the redirect for java-entwickler. The redirect showing the English career page now shows mixed German and English content! Strange, that the redirect has an impact? Any ideas why? I only checked this page on Wednesday and there was no problems with both pages in both languages.

With regards to the 2nd redirect for /de/business-analyst/ - unfortunately, the English page has the same naming, so the work-around won’t work and I can’t change name/permalink, as this URL was distributed to external partners in the past.

Finally, the 3rd redirect for software-entwickler, I’m not going to try, otherwise I will no doubt get the same result as above with the java page!

Please note: fixing the problem of the “career” main English page, I tried using the work-around from our previous thread and it didn’t work. Instead I removed the “Classic Headline” element and changed to “Headline” (the new Headline Element) and used the work-around again and finally no mixed DE & EN content was listed. However, the problem remains that the redirect does not work. FYI, I have contacted Themeco (X-Theme), who are aware of the problem about Classic elements. They too have workarounds, but say it has nothing to do with the Classic Elements, instead it appears to be a cache issue. The common denominator appears to be re-saving. I am sure they are looking into a solution and perhaps have contacted one of your colleagues to find a fix.

Anyway, any ideas on the redirect issue?

Perhaps the developers are working on a full resolution and fix and this will be available in the next release?

Thanks again for your assistance.

Best,
Cara

java-entwickler_307-Redirect.jpg
August 2, 2019 at 2:02 pm #4330681

Raja Mohammed
Supporter

I can reproduce the issue in the clone site. I am adding the notes to the developers, I think this might need to wait till a fix is released by the developers.

Kind regards
Raja

August 2, 2019 at 2:24 pm #4330805

Cara Mc Donough

Thanks Raja for your feedback.
Thought so, that a fix might be the only solution.

Curious to know, if WPML is integrated and works with any other SEO plugins apart from Yoast?
Or... perhaps a company that supports a multilingual standalone redirect plugin?

Thanks & have a good weekend,
Cara

August 5, 2019 at 5:13 am #4337879

Raja Mohammed
Supporter

Hi Cara,

WPML is compatible with some of the SEO Softwares You see the entire list from the below link. Our developers are in constant touch with YOAST SEO I would request you to wait for the fix to be released.

https://wpml.org/documentation/plugins-compatibility/?wpv_view_count=119945&dev=0&wpv-plugin-functionality=seo&wpv_post_search=&wpv_filter_submit=Search

Kind regards
Raja

August 5, 2019 at 8:14 am #4338963

Cara Mc Donough

Thanks Raja for your feedback and the link. However, the majority in the list are not GDPR compliant, so not relevant as a possible alternative.

I addressed this question about an alternative to YOAST Premium SEO plugin to a German WordPress Plugin forum over the weekend and Rankmath was recommended each time and one contact said that WPML was compatible with the Rankmath SEO plugin? Strange as it is not on the list that you sent. Have you heard about Rankmath? Can you share any experience you have?

I will wait for the fix and hope that this can be finally resolved in the next 2 weeks. My YOAST subscription is due for annual renewal in 3 weeks time, so I'll have to make a final decision in the coming weeks about continuing to use YOAST or changing to an alternative SEO plugin.

Please continue to keep me updated.

Thanks,
Cara

August 5, 2019 at 9:26 am #4339299

Raja Mohammed
Supporter

I'm afraid I am not aware of Rankmath SEO, I don't see any compatibility tickets in our internal documentation. However, if you wish you can invite the author of the plugin to our go global program https://wpml.org/documentation/theme-compatibility/go-global-program/ Where we try to make the plugin compatible with WPML working along with the plugin Author.

Regarding your issue. I am watching for any changes in the development I will keep you posted with any updates. Thanks for your understanding.

Kind regards
Raja

August 7, 2019 at 6:56 am #4352345

Cara Mc Donough

Hi Raja,
I have been in contact with Rankmath and they have confirmed, just like my contacts in the WP SEO Plugin forum that WPML is compatible with their SEO plugin.

In their reply, they also commented on joining the WPML Go Global Program...
"we are pending to hear from WPML on updating their website to list our plugin as compatible. We have tried several times but they have been unresponsive in the last few months."

Raja, any idea what the status is with the testing of the Rankmath plugin and when can it be added to your compatible list (as per link you sent above). A "few months" is quite a long time.

Otherwise, any news on the redirect fix.

Thanks again,
Cara

August 8, 2019 at 4:54 am #4359603

Raja Mohammed
Supporter

Thanks for your patience.

Let me give you the working solution for the YOAST first

Please goto SEO > Redirects > Settings
- Change the redirect method to .htaccess (refer screenshot)
- Save the changes
- goto redirects edit and update the redirects

This works as expected, I have tested the issue on the sandbox. Please apply the changes in your live site and let me know the results.

Regarding Rank Math, I can find the compatibility ticket after searching for the exact phrase "Rank Math". We have found that the plugin is following the google standards for multilingual site hidden link. Which we have shared with the Author of the plugin, I am not sure whether we had any further response from the author I can check with the marketing team for more information.

I hope this helps you better

Kind regards
Raja

Screenshot 2019-08-08 at 10.13.14 AM.png
August 9, 2019 at 6:38 am #4367705

Cara Mc Donough

Good morning Raja,
And what a good morning it is!!! Yes, it works.

FYP, the edit and update didn't work first time, so I deleted the redirects and added again. Also, please note, the language parameter must be added for the redirects to work, e.g. /de/software...

Wow, fantastic news. I cannot thank you enough for your patience and for your ongoing assistance over the past 5 weeks.

Question: the .htaccess change, is this a temporary fix?

Regarding Rank Math, many thanks for your feedback. It is great to know that WPML has given their approval on compatibility. Yes, please follow-up with your Marketing team to find out what the latest status is with adding Rank Math to your list of compatible partners/Go Global Program and if Rank Math perhaps have since replied.

Despite the fix, I am still seriously considering changing to Rank Math in the next 2 weeks. Their customer support has been absolutely excellent, so it would be great to know the feedback from your Marketing colleagues. However, I would test their product first, in particular their redirect functionality before making a final decision.

Keep me updated on the Rank Math status.

Thanks a million again for all your help with getting the Yoast redirect issue fixed,
Cara

August 9, 2019 at 7:29 pm #4372669

Raja Mohammed
Supporter

Kindly apologize for the delay in response,

Glad you had a great morning with fantastic news 🙂

Yoast works either way PHP redirect and .htaccess redirect, I could not say this is a temporary fix but we found that the PHP redirect is not working with WPML but the other option works Hence this can be considered as Alternative solution.

We found some issue with Rank Math sitemap that was the last update we had like I said in my last response. Anyhow I will keep you posted with any updates from the marketing team.

Kind regards
Raja

August 14, 2019 at 7:04 am #4392787

Cara Mc Donough

Hi Raja,
FYI, the latest Rank Math Plugin version is: seo-by-rank-math.1.0.31

With regards to the Sitemap issue, Rank Math already addressed this last week, which I found extremely interesting. Here's what they wrote:
"the development team is insisting to introduce a new Sitemap generation method, which is not implemented by any SEO plugin and those are listed as compatible on their website."

Raja, can you please ask your Marketing colleagues why this issue only applies to Rank Math and not the other companies currently listed in the "Go Global Program".

As always, appreciate your assistance.

Thanks again,
Cara

August 14, 2019 at 9:57 am #4393951

Raja Mohammed
Supporter

Hi Cara,

The sitemap we referred is to support multilingual feature which we insist most of the SEO plugin which prefers Multilingual compatible, Yoast is one example which supports Multilingual sitemap feature.

If Rank math has already implemented in the newer version Please ask them to write to us since they are already in touch with the compatibility team their emails will be answered with more priority. I hope they can get this resolved with the concerned team.

Regards
Raja

This ticket is now closed. If you're a WPML client and need related help, please open a new support ticket.