This is the technical support forum for WPML - the multilingual WordPress plugin.

Everyone can read, but only WPML clients can post here. WPML team is replying on the forum 6 days per week, 22 hours per day.

This thread is resolved. Here is a description of the problem and solution.

Problem: The client gets a daily notification about uncompleted translation jobs despite having finished all translations and having unchecked the notifications for late deadlines and late jobs.

Solution: The checkbox was unchecked but the option for this in the database was still checked. After resetting the checkbox and saving a few times the correct option the reminders stopped.

Relevant Documentation:

This topic contains 13 replies, has 3 voices.

Last updated by HansonB 1 year, 6 months ago.

Assigned support staff: Cristina.

Author Posts
March 14, 2018 at 5:51 pm #1546112

emanuelK-5

Hi there,

we have been using the translation management, I have set up translation jobs for pages and WooCommerce products, and my colleague (with a "translator" role) and I have finished all translations.

They show up as "translation status: complete" in the backend and all are working perfectly fine in the frontend – however I am getting a daily e-mail reminder by WPML, "Overdue translation jobs report" listing all translations for "The deadline that you set for the following jobs has passed:"

Settings at Notifications are:
Notify translators when new jobs are waiting for them - checked
Include XLIFF files in the notification emails - unchecked
Notify translators when they are removed from jobs - checked
Notify the translation manager when jobs complete - checked, immediately
Notify the translation manager when jobs are late by 7 days - unchecked

March 16, 2018 at 3:51 pm #1548209

Cristina

Hello Emmanuel,

thanks for contacting us on this and sorry for the delays.

Have you checked if there are any unnoticed or hidden translation jobs that may be still waiting for a translator?

Sometimes in the Translation Jobs dashboard there can be hidden jobs that were created for a language the later was hidden or deleted. If there are any pending jobs there they will go unnoticed.

Please check also if there could be any cache or backup routine sending this.

Please check also if these notifications are about jobs that were sent to the first available translator. If one translator started a job but another finished it, it could be possible that there was a pending job for the one who started it or that the admin gets notifications about the unfinished job. This is not supposed to happen, but you could check it just in case.

In WPML > Support > troubleshooting page options you have an option to reset all pending translation jobs. This will delete any pending jobs that may have been sent and you are not aware off.

This does not reset the existing translations, but you may prefer to make a backup of your site first, just in case there is more to this than meets the eye.

Kind regards,
Cristina

March 19, 2018 at 1:56 pm #1549647

emanuelK-5

Hello Cristina, thanks.

I can not see any translation jobs with status "waiting" or "in progress", no matter what language or filter setting or none I apply. All are status "complete". I can not see hidden jobs.

All jobs have been sent to the first available translator, and some of them have been or revised by another. But there aren't any translation jobs "in progress" for any of our translators.

We are not using caching, neither by a WordPress plugin nor at server PHP settings.

We are using only two languages on our site, English and German (formal) "Deutsch (Sie)" which is the system default language. Indeed we are having technically another third language which is the "normal" German "Deutsch". But WPML does not differentiate between those two but just uses the chosen version, showing "English" and "German" as only available languages in translation management, which we are using without any other problems.

I have applied the function to "reset all pending translation jobs" as described, but still got the daily reminder email later on.

"… This is a quick reminder about translation jobs that you sent and are behind schedule.

The deadline that you set for the following jobs has passed: …"

What can I do now?

March 19, 2018 at 6:07 pm #1550031

Cristina

Hello Emmanuel,

this looks like something that has got stuck in a loop.

Could you check if optimizing your database and clearing or cleaning up the transients would help here?

Transients are temporary cached information in the wp_options tables that hava en expiration date. This can include cached queries or even routines to do something or update information. If for any reason such an option is working beyond the expiration date or is activated again and again it can be triggering something else.

You can clean up expired transient or all of them with the help of a database optimization plugin or with a specific plugin for this. Could you install and activate a plugin called Transients Manager to check if there is anything that looks like it could be causing this:
https://wordpress.org/plugins/transients-manager/

The use that plugin to clean up all transients from your database.

If that does not help, I would need to ask you to give us access credentials to have a look at the site and the database. There may be a bug somewhere triggering this. I would then check the issue and escalate this to the developers of the second level support to have a look at this.

For this I am enabling the private reply box for your next answer, where you can post temporary access credentials that only you and the support team will see.

Could you please make a full backup before letting me access the site?

Kind regards,
Cristina

March 26, 2018 at 7:23 pm #1557091

Cristina

Hello Emmanuel,

thanks for the login data, I could log in to have a look, and saw something that could be related to this.

You have defined the manual translation in the multilingual content setup, but the translation managmenet uses the translation editor for all translations that contain a deadline.

These are also the translation that you are getting notifications for. So maybe there is some conflict with that, as the Translation Editor is not the defined translation mode, but it is the mode that is opening for the existing translations with a deadline.

The completed translations without a deadline are mostly for another language and translator and are opening correctly with the manual translation mode.

For the products the Translation Editor is the default mode when opening from the products tab in WooCommerce Multilingual. In the settings there you have also defined the Translation Editor mode.

So that could be causing a conflict because of mixing the workflow.

The Translation Editor saves the content in the WPML tables and wp_posts table.

But when using manual mode, changes in the original content are only updated in the native WordPress tables, but not in the WPML tables that the Translation Editor uses. Therefore the Translation Editor does not reflect changes made from manual mode.

If you have defined this but you are using the manual translation mode to make changes to original content, the changes made in this mode will not reflect in the Translation Editor and therefore it could be triggering these notifications.

I am not sure about that, but it is the only issue that is different to a standard setup.

Could you change the translation mode to the Translation Editor to use the same standard for everything?

Before you do that you should make a backup, and keep the published page open in a separate tab when you change to the translation editor. The reason for this is that there may be pages where you would need to copy the content of the page again to the editor fields it there is any empty translation.

I any case, as I am not totally sure that this is triggering the notifications, I can make a snapshot to test if you want.

Kind regards,
Cristina

March 29, 2018 at 5:17 pm #1560402

emanuelK-5

Hello Cristina, thanks a lot, I was not aware of the different translation mode settings. However if you say changing the mode in WPML settings might mess up with translated pages, I am not happy about trying this on the live page as we have customers using the shop.

I might try this sometime soon during night time, as one superfluous daily email is not a priority problem for us. Stilly any other help is appreciated!

March 29, 2018 at 5:47 pm #1560421

Cristina

Hello Emanuel,

as said, I am not really sure about this, but I could test this on a local install to check if changing the mode stops the mails.

If you give your permission, I would make a thin duplicate (without media, cache and unnecessary elements) and set it up locally. If the notifications still are generated after that I can escalate it right away to the second level support.

Kind regards,
Cristina

April 3, 2018 at 12:42 pm #1563364

emanuelK-5

Yes, please! I am curious about the result.

Ps. Hope you had nice easter holidays (if you have them in your country) 🙂

April 4, 2018 at 9:19 am #1564527

Cristina

Hello Emmanuel,

thanks, I had the usual eastern bank holidays here too. I just downloaded the duplicate and will install it to check.

I will update you asap about this,

Kind regards,
Cristina

April 5, 2018 at 2:09 pm #1566107

emanuelK-5

Hi Cristina, were you able to investigate yet? Yesterday at 18:26 CET our WPML translation management mailed us about 29 New translation jobs but there are actually none. Those 29 products are apparently randomly selected, even some which are in the product trashcan, none of them is new or has been edited recently.
The daily "Overdue translation jobs report" is still coming in (on the minute at 15:21 CET).
I could forward these mails if it might help.

April 5, 2018 at 5:57 pm #1566430

Cristina

Hello Emanuel,

thanks for the info. I have seen the same mails. As in the local install I included the plugin Email Log installed, we see the same notifications there that you also received. They don't leave the test install, but are logged as soon as they are generated and we can follow up all of them.

I installed the replica and am loggin the mails. I got by now several automated notification for the same content that you already had, so there were no new elements there.

This is already escalated to the developers to have a look a it and debug the issue.

Kind regards,
Cristina

April 11, 2018 at 3:18 pm #1598258

Cristina

Hello Emanuel,

thanks to my colleague he noticed that though he checkbox to not receive any notifications was unchecked, the option that controls this in the database was different, so there may have been a problem when unchecking that settings or everybody including me forgot to save after unchecking that option.

Now it should remain unchecked, so you would not get any more mails for that. Sorry for the delays.

Kind regards,
Cristina

April 18, 2018 at 6:39 pm #1678974

emanuelK-5

Since about a week, we are not getting more daily reminder mails. Supposedly fixed after the develpers checked into this and released an update? 🙂

Last time with "Overdue translation jobs report" was on April 11 but 5 times instead of 1.

May 22, 2018 at 5:44 am #2205053
HansonB

Hello,

I have the same issue for a long while. I've tried check and uncheck boxes for more re-saved, but the issue still there. And, I can't find WPML > Support > troubleshooting page options you have an option to reset all pending translation jobs. Where?

Please let me know and do more tries. If the issues still there I will open a new ticket for the service. Thanks!

Sincerely,
Hanson

New threads created by Cristina and linked to this one are listed below:

https://wpml.org/forums/topic/split-getting-a-daily-reminder-for-overdue-translation-jobs-but-there-are-none/