Skip Navigation

This thread is resolved. Here is a description of the problem and solution.

Problem: How can i translate my menu options?

Solution: Please follow the guide below

Relevant Documentation: https://wpml.org/documentation/getting-started-guide/translating-menus/

This is the technical support forum for WPML - the multilingual WordPress plugin.

Everyone can read, but only WPML clients can post here. WPML team is replying on the forum 6 days per week, 22 hours per day.

No supporters are available to work today on this forum. Feel free to create tickets and we will handle it as soon as we are online. Thank you for your understanding.

This topic contains 7 replies, has 2 voices.

Last updated by marvinC-4 1 year, 5 months ago.

Assigned support staff: Alejandro.

Author Posts
June 6, 2019 at 8:17 am #3966993

marvinC-4

Tell us what you are trying to do?
1) I have a SRP FREE (Special Recent Posts Free) Widget and I cannot see how to add shortcode to translate into the 2 languages that I have.

2) How do I translate the Main Menu Options?? i.e HOME ABOUT JOBS etc etc....

3) I cannot seem to get the footer widgets to work even after applying the short code, need some advice on this.

Is there any documentation that you are following?

Not at the moment, I've tried searching the net for help.

Is there a similar example that we can see?
N/A

What is the link to your site?
hidden link

This is a follow on from yesterday's ticket, which i couldn't re-open?

June 6, 2019 at 10:08 am #3968083

Alejandro
Supporter

Languages: English (English ) Spanish (Español ) Italian (Italiano )

Timezone: Europe/Rome (GMT+01:00)

Hello!
Welcome to WPML Support.
I'll do my best to help you solve this issue.

Yes, once a chat ticket it's closed, it remains closed, but it's better like this, because this problem is a different one.

I don't really know how this widget works but if you can, please upload it in the sandbox site (link below), so i can inspect it and see if we're talking about an incompatibility issue or not.

Sandbox Site: hidden link

Then, please:

- Try to replicate the problem there (upload the plugin or theme that is creating this widget only, there's not need to replicate your entire site)

- let me know how is this widget supposed to work.
- If possible, write the steps here so i can study it and try to replicate the problem on my end so i can come up with a solution, workaround or something else.

Let me know how it goes.

Regards.

June 6, 2019 at 12:12 pm #3969091

marvinC-4

Hi,

I might leave that for now as I need a quick fix...I may just take out that widget and add the content straight on the home page.

Can you help me with these 2 other issues please?

2) How do I translate the Main Menu Options?? i.e HOME ABOUT JOBS etc etc....

3) I cannot seem to get the footer widgets to work even after applying the short code, need some advice on this.

June 6, 2019 at 1:38 pm #3969557

Alejandro
Supporter

Ok, so for :
1) ok, let's leave this one out for now as per your request

2) menu translation, please check this documentation:
https://wpml.org/documentation/getting-started-guide/translating-menus/

If you have a particular or more specific issue with the menu translation, let me know, but that document should cover different scenarios, if not all.

3) you talk about a Shortcode for the footer, can you tell me what kind of shortcode are you talking about so I can try to give you a more detailed help on it?

Let me know.

June 6, 2019 at 1:54 pm #3969669

marvinC-4

this shortcode...the wpml string one: [wpml-string context="my-domain" name="my-name"]My string[/wpml-string]

June 7, 2019 at 6:53 am #3974275

Alejandro
Supporter

So, for this to work (i.e: for the content of the shortcode to appear in WPML > String Translation) you need to make sure you visit the place where you added the code in the front-end.

In this case, if you're adding it to the footer, then you need to visit the site and go to the footer, where this code is located.

then, head to WPML > String Translation and the string will no be there.

This is a very important step, otherwise the string will not appear, thus, you won't be able to translate it.

Give me confirmation that you already did this and it still didn't work, then please set your access credentials in the fields i just enabled for you and point me to where you added the modifications (in what widget, what did you do, all the information you can, please) that way i can check it out.

Regards.

June 11, 2019 at 5:37 pm #3997745

marvinC-4

Hi Please can someone reply to the above

June 11, 2019 at 5:57 pm #3997903

marvinC-4

My issue is resolved now. Thank you!