This is the technical support forum for WPML - the multilingual WordPress plugin.

Everyone can read, but only WPML clients can post here. WPML team is replying on the forum 6 days per week, 22 hours per day.

This topic contains 3 replies, has 2 voices.

Last updated by Riffaz 1 year ago.

Assigned support staff: Riffaz.

Author Posts
October 3, 2018 at 9:23 pm #2785755

andrewH-16

Tell us what you are trying to do?

Hi there,
I've copied this WP site over to a staging site on WPEngine where I am trying to update all WPML plugins and link WMPL to a translation service.

However, WPML is not letting me update the plugins using the key for this site (hidden link). Is there some way I can add the staging server url to this same account so they use the same key?

The staging server url is (hidden link)

If there is some other way to create a workflow so that I can update WPML on the staging server and then publish it back to live with no problems, please let me know.

Best,
Carrie

Is there any documentation that you are following?

Is there a similar example that we can see?

What is the link to your site?

October 4, 2018 at 5:35 am #2786443

Riffaz
Supporter

Languages: English (English )

Timezone: Asia/Colombo (GMT+05:30)

Hi Andrew,

Thank you for contacting WPML Support.

In WPML, you will need to register each site with a separate and new key.

Please navigate to https://wpml.org/account/sites/ where you should be able to see your site registered. (unless you never register your site before)

Click on the 'add new site' button ( hidden link ) and create a new key for your test site and register the test site using the key.

Kind Regards,
Riffaz.

October 4, 2018 at 4:31 pm #2788209

andrewH-16

Hi Riffaz,
Thanks for this info. I will add the test site. One question though - If I then move the test site over to live will the fact that I'm using the key for the test site on the live site create any problems?

-Carrie

October 5, 2018 at 4:56 am #2789564

Riffaz
Supporter

Languages: English (English )

Timezone: Asia/Colombo (GMT+05:30)

Hi,

No, you will not face any problems when you migrate the site from test to live.
WPML will ask you to register (if you do not register it yet in live) when you use it in the live site.
In that case, just generate another key for the live site and use it.
The important thing is every domain should have a separate key. when you change the keys you will not lose your translated contents.

Let me know.

Regards,

The topic ‘[Closed] getting WPML plugins to update on a staging site’ is closed to new replies.