This is the technical support forum for WPML - the multilingual WordPress plugin.

Everyone can read, but only WPML clients can post here. WPML team is replying on the forum 6 days per week, 22 hours per day.

This topic contains 2 replies, has 2 voices.

Last updated by matthewB-13 11 months, 3 weeks ago.

Assigned support staff: Vincenzo.

Author Posts
October 25, 2018 at 10:16 am #2849408

matthewB-13

Hi there,

We are trying to run Google Shopping Ads on some of the main products. However, Google Search Console is showing that Googlebot is seeing the US site rather than the UK site. This is causing the Ads to be disapproved because we are using UK urls and they are getting redirected.

We have read the article about https://wpml.org/documentation/getting-started-guide/language-setup/automatic-redirect-based-on-browser-language/ but do not want to risk turning off browser language redirection configuration, in case it breaks the site.

Is there any other way around this?

Please let me know

Thanks!

October 26, 2018 at 3:44 pm #2853597

Vincenzo
Supporter

Languages: English (English ) Italian (Italiano )

Timezone: Europe/Rome (GMT+02:00)

Hello, thank you for contacting WPML Support!

Disabling the "Browser language redirect" option will solve the issue and should not break the site.

Anyway, from what I can see in the Debug Info, the Browser language redirect option is not enabled in WPML -> Languages.

Did you add a language redirection rule in the .htaccess file or somewhere else?
Can you please give me more details?

Thank you

October 31, 2018 at 9:30 am #2864991

matthewB-13

We added a rule within the .htaccess file, once this was removed it allowed the URLs to be indexed on Google without a redirect. Hopefully, this will be able to fix the issues we are having with Google crawling the UK site

Thanks for your help on this!