This is the technical support forum for WPML - the multilingual WordPress plugin.

Everyone can read, but only WPML clients can post here. WPML team is replying on the forum 6 days per week, 22 hours per day.

This topic contains 2 replies, has 2 voices.

Last updated by Bruno Kos 1 month, 2 weeks ago.

Assigned support staff: Bruno Kos.

Author Posts
April 8, 2020 at 4:06 pm #5867763

nickP-9

Tell us what you are trying to do?

I am trying to find clear documentation for translating flexible content fields in the ACF Multilingual plugin. There are two issues I am facing:

1. I want the ACF Field Groups to remain in sync across all languages. For example, if I set the field `page_layout_field_sub_field` to be required. I want this field in all other translations to update to required.

2. In the page editor, I want a mixture of copied values and translated values. However, I also need these to remain intact if the ordering of the flexible content is changed.

I believe this topic has been asked a fair number of times now with no clear guidance as to how to manage flexible content fields in WPML.

I'd be grateful if we can work to make this thread a guide for others who are also experiencing similar issues.

April 9, 2020 at 8:34 am #5873453

nickP-9

To add to this, the WPML ACF settings seem to have zero effect when it comes to flexible content. This is due to the system creating a unique translate setting for each field *depending on its order*.

e.g. the block "content" would need to be set to "translate" for all positions that it appeared. If you created a new page with the "content" block where the block appeared in a new position not seen before, it will default to "do nothing" and would need manually setting to "translate" again.

This leads to an unprecedented number of combinations for each block and each ordering position and requires manual clicking of radio buttons for hundreds of fields.

There must be a solution to this that I'm missing. The attached image has no bearing on the actual translation settings when it comes to adding flexible content.

Please advise.

April 10, 2020 at 7:51 am #5881743

Bruno Kos
Supporter

Languages: English (English )

Timezone: Europe/Zagreb (GMT+02:00)

Hi,

Thank you for contacting WPML support!

I want this field in all other translations to update to required.

Are you referring to translating ACF Field Groups? I'm afraid that syncing between them will not work in you will have to manage each one individually:
https://wpml.org/documentation/related-projects/translate-sites-built-with-acf/#setting-translation-preferences-acf-fields

But also check this:
https://wpml.org/documentation/related-projects/translate-sites-built-with-acf/#translating-field-groups

Especially:

"Now, you can edit the text in this group, for the other language(s). To keep your field groups consistent for all the languages of the site, you should only edit the label and descriptions of the fields and not add new fields or change their Field Name values. If you do any changes like this to the fields, you should do so for all your site’s languages. Once you complete adding the translated texts to the field group, click the Update button to save the changes."

If you created a new page with the "content" block where the block appeared in a new position not seen before

If I'm not mistaken, this would be in fact and expected behavior, because WPML translation editor assumes that there will be no differences in the layout between original and translation.

However, if you want to have different versions between languages, then your only way is to translate pages manually and set main flexible fields as "don't translate". In fact, you may even do better with deactivating Advanced Custom Fields Multilingual completely and then edit each page on its own (original and translation).

So in a nutshell, the way you will set translation preferences or fields and how you'll want translations to look like (identical to the originals or exact translations) will decide whether you will use Advanced Custom Fields Multilingual or not, how will you set Flexible fields translation preferences and translation preferences of other fields.

Regards,
Bruno Kos

The topic ‘[Closed] Guide to translating ACF flexible content fields’ is closed to new replies.