This is the technical support forum for WPML - the multilingual WordPress plugin.

Everyone can read, but only WPML clients can post here. WPML team is replying on the forum 6 days per week, 22 hours per day.

This topic contains 3 replies, has 2 voices.

Last updated by Radu 1 month, 2 weeks ago.

Assigned support staff: Radu.

Author Posts
August 27, 2019 at 10:39 pm #4470013

Willem-Siebe

Tell us what you are trying to do?

I'm working on website with Dutch and English language. My client is English and want English as default language, publish then English version first, that should be translated into Dutch later. However, the main domainname (.nl) is ment for the Dutch language. Thus:

- domainname.nl = Dutch language
- domeinname.nl/en/ = English lanuage

Is it possible to have English as default language and publish this on domeinname.nl/en/ and later translate this into Dutch that will be available on domainname.nl (without using this option: https://wpml.org/documentation/getting-started-guide/language-setup/directory-default-language/).

What is the link to your site?

Not online yet, working on it through the hosts file trick.

August 28, 2019 at 5:18 am #4471217

Radu
Supporter

Languages: English (English )

Timezone: Europe/Bucharest (GMT+03:00)

Hey Willem,

Thank you for reaching out the WPML support!

I understand what you'd like to do. However, you cannot make the default language go into a sub-directory and the secondary language on the main domain. I looked for some tricks but I couldn't find anything to do the job.

You can still add the pages or posts in English first, and then translate them in Dutch later with no problem. You just have to make sure that the right language is selected on the top admin bar when you add a new page or post.

Thanks,
Radu

August 28, 2019 at 9:18 am #4472727

Willem-Siebe

Ok, thanks for looking into it. Can we make this a feature request for the future?

August 28, 2019 at 11:22 am #4473811

Radu
Supporter

Languages: English (English )

Timezone: Europe/Bucharest (GMT+03:00)

Hey Willem,

Of course you can do that. Here's a link to a form where you can submit your feature request: https://wpml.org/suggest-a-new-feature-for-wpml/. We are reading all the messages from you and see what we can do about each request, based on how complicated and helpful (for you and all the other customers) it is.

Regards,
Radu