This is the technical support forum for WPML - the multilingual WordPress plugin.

Everyone can read, but only WPML clients can post here. WPML team is replying on the forum 6 days per week, 22 hours per day.

This topic contains 3 replies, has 2 voices.

Last updated by Jamal 2 months, 1 week ago.

Assigned support staff: Jamal.

Author Posts
July 30, 2019 at 7:05 pm #4310253

julieC-6

Tell us what you are trying to do?
1. I'm reworking the 5 languages of a site. When I first did the site, the urls became unwieldy. I had to manually change each url of internal links to keep within the same language. I had difficulty understanding the sticky links plugin and it's effect on SEO. Does it interfere with google's indexing of the site?

2. I need to manually change certain graphics per language and therefore need to edit the page in the visual editor in the other language. Is there a way to keep the WP dashboard in english while modifying the visual editor of a different language (example Arabic)?

3. The url format I'm using is the variable at the end - should the url itself be translated or should it only have the variable? which is the better option in this example:
hidden link
hidden link

Is there any documentation that you are following?
I've read several things but I'm not understanding the best way to go about this.

What is the link to your site? hidden link

July 31, 2019 at 10:08 am #4313495

Jamal
Supporter

Languages: English (English ) French (Français )

Timezone: Africa/Casablanca (GMT+01:00)

Hello,

Thank you for contacting WPML Support. I will be glad to help with this.

1/ Sticky links plugin tracks internals links in your website when they are used in other pages/posts and updates the pages/posts if the links changes. It will actually help in terms of SEO as it will prevent 404 links. Read more about it in this article https://wpml.org/documentation/getting-started-guide/sticky-links/

2/ You can indeed make the administrative area work with one language. Go to your profile page /wp-admin/profile.php and choose your preferred language. But if the Visual builder is run in the frontend, there is no way to overcome the frontend language, unless it is used in the backend the Frontend language will always win. If it is your use case, you may want to suggest a feature here https://wpml.org/suggest-a-new-feature-for-wpml/
If I did not understand your question well, please provide more details, a page you are trying to edit, the URL that is used when editing. Any details can help me understand better.

It is always worth to mention, that our extension Media Translation is useful when you want to show different images per language.
https://wpml.org/documentation/getting-started-guide/media-translation/

3/ In your case, these are different areas, whether you choose a language in parameter or in directories or even in different domains, the slugs for products is translatable. I would say that translating slugs (productos-basicos and commodities) is better for SEO. Using language in directories is also better for SEO than using a parameter in the URL.

I hope this answers your questions. Let me know if you still need assistance.

Best regards,
Jamal
WPML Support

August 6, 2019 at 8:09 pm #4350343
julieC-6

I appreciate your info. Thank you - I'm going through it all now.

I'm having to translate sliders - there is a lot of text on that. Is there an easy way to do that? hidden link

New threads created by Jamal and linked to this one are listed below:

https://wpml.org/forums/topic/translating-sliders/

August 7, 2019 at 10:07 am #4353437

Jamal
Supporter

Languages: English (English ) French (Français )

Timezone: Africa/Casablanca (GMT+01:00)

Hello,

Welcome back. For support rules, we are able to handle only one issue at the time. This helps us to bring you a better service and also help other users to find all the information here exposed. For that reason, I have created a new ticket for your question on sliders and I'll be posting my replies there.

Best regards,
Jamal