This is the technical support forum for WPML - the multilingual WordPress plugin.

Everyone can read, but only WPML clients can post here. WPML team is replying on the forum 6 days per week, 22 hours per day.

Author Posts
January 14, 2019 at 1:50 pm #3087759

jannekeW

PS, I have installed that new plugin on both websites....

January 14, 2019 at 4:08 pm #3088650

Bruno Kos
Supporter

Languages: English (English )

Timezone: Europe/Zagreb (GMT+02:00)

Hi,

I've spent some time there within both sites - I've upgraded everything on hidden link - can you take a thorough look if there's any functionality changed or broken?

If all works well, how about we first proceed with the upgrade of all the plugins and WordPress on the live as well? We will need to have at least WPML and WooCommerce plugins update to the latest versions.

Secondly, I spent some time trying to find a plugin that would properly record SQL queries, but wasn't able to find it. Also, another trouble is that WordPress itself creates numerous queries at any given time. The query we are interested in relates to the following table:

jw_term_taxonomy

Because this is where category data is stored (check the uploaded image). So if these get deleted, there must be an <update> SQL command being run at some point, so something like:

UPDATE 
  `jw_term_taxonomy` 
SET 
  `term_id` = 235, 
  `taxonomy` = 'product_cat', 
  `description` = '<h3><strong>Landelijk wonen met een stoere twist!</strong></h3>\r\nLandelijk wonen met Incosi Collections. Incosi\'s ontwerpen kenmerken zich door goede, natuurlijke materialen en inventieve ideeën. Woonaccessoires en meubels in een landelijke stijl met een vleugje industrieel, een stoere twist dus! Of je nu van stoer, industrieel of brocante houdt, Incosi\'s stukken passen er tussen.\r\n\r\nContrasten in materiaalkeuze is een van Incosi\'s stijlkenmerken. Mijn ontwerpen zijn ideaal voor landelijk, stoer en gezellig wonen! Een hele mooie mix van oude en nieuwe materialen en uitvoeringen.\r\n<h4><strong>Eigen collectie woonaccessoires en meubels</strong></h4>\r\nVier keer per jaar breng ik eigen nieuwe ontwerpen op de markt. De collectie tot nu toe bevat meubels en woonaccessoires, allen in kleine oplage. Plaids, kandelaars, tafellopers, lampen, krukjes en bankjes behoren tot de collectie.\r\n\r\nWil je op de hoogte blijven van de nieuwste designs of acties? Meld je dan aan voor de nieuwsbrief die maximaal 1 x per maand uitkomt en je mist niets meer!', 
  `parent` = 0 
WHERE 
  `term_taxonomy_id` = 235

I am still thinking on how/or if can we locate the source of what would trigger the above query when it happens, as within logs, we can see hundreds or thousands of queries of all sorts.

hidden link

Could you perhaps ask your host if they have an ability to records SQL logs in terms of days or weeks? I am also consulting some other colleagues of mine because I am getting hard time to think of a possible future ideas on how to get this resolved.

Regards,
Bruno Kos

January 14, 2019 at 5:34 pm #3089168

jannekeW

Hi Bruno!
Thanks, nothing seems broken or odd. Is there a particular order in wich you have updated the plugins? If not, I will update everything on the live site....
I will ask about the ability to record SQL logs in terms of days or weeks!
Have a nice evening!

January 14, 2019 at 6:56 pm #3089436

Bruno Kos
Supporter

Hi,

As I told previously related to how to possibly to get this resolved and being myself out of ideas, I've consulted many senior colleagues here and general consensus that this could easily turn to something like trying to find a needle in a haystack, since we may end up with thousands or tens of thousands of queries and audit logs that we would need to look up for and analyze.

Without knowing the trigger which does it, we are heading to impossible as it seems. And it seems like that this happens randomly, which makes the whole thing much harder (not to say impossible) for both of us to figure out.

I was thinking about possible workarounds for this since that might be faster and more efficient solution - have you considered creating custom fields for archive templates? So you would create custom fields, translate these and implement them within archive templates. If unsure on how to get this done, I can point you to our WPML contractors https://wpml.org/contractors/

As for updating plugins, I didn't do this at any particular order, I simply upgraded them all and then WordPress in the end.

Regards,
Bruno Kos

January 16, 2019 at 6:34 pm #3099068

jannekeW

Hi Bruno!
I've updated everything on the live website and all works well!! Strange enough the Heading tags on hidden link came back!!!!! But only not on the German version. I've put them back and will see what happens in the next days....

But that corresponds with the other problem in German; when I have translated a product in German, I have to save it twice in order to be shown the right way. See one of my former notifications about this in our conversation.... In English there is no problem, it is shown correct after saving it only once.

What do you mean by creating custom fields for archive templates?
I've asked my hosting about the ability to record SQL logs in terms of days or weeks and I'm waiting for an answer....

Have a nice evening!
Janneke

January 17, 2019 at 9:09 am #3100941

Bruno Kos
Supporter

Hi Janneke,

What do you mean by creating custom fields for archive templates?

By this I mean that archive templates would we created using:
https://toolset.com/home/types-manage-post-types-taxonomy-and-custom-fields/

So custom fields instead of default text editor for product archives. Something in lines of:
https://toolset.com/documentation/getting-started-with-toolset/customize-post-archives/designing-an-archive-without-any-page-builder/

My idea behind this is that we would not be using native WordPress editor for this, but custom fields instead and therefore in ideal scenario, we would avoid whatever causes headings to disappear as these would be store differently in database.

Related to this (the thing I don't see as a good course any more):

I've asked my hosting about the ability to record SQL logs in terms of days or weeks and I'm waiting for an answer....

Can you check my answer from JANUARY 14, 2019 AT 6:56 PM on why I think we should drop this idea once and for all?

Regards,
Bruno Kos

January 17, 2019 at 11:23 am #3101581

jannekeW

Gee, sorry. For me it is also difficult to understand and implement it all ...
I've added some heading tags back after updating everything. In case that doesn't help I will get into creating some custom fields for archive templates.

January 17, 2019 at 11:53 am #3101691

Bruno Kos
Supporter

Hi,

No problem on that, the whole thing is quite complicated itself and the initial problem is very difficult to resolve!

Can you tell me if I can be of any further assistance at this point and within this ticket? If not, I suggest we close this one and for any new issues, start a new one. That one will be much easier to track and follow and that's why we suggest a new ticket for each new issue.

You can even pick me as your preferred supporter (when creating a new ticket).

Regards,
Bruno Kos

January 17, 2019 at 12:07 pm #3101774

jannekeW

Hi Bruno,

Lets do that. I will get in touch again as soon as anything changes again. Thanks!
Janneke

January 17, 2019 at 12:12 pm #3101808

Bruno Kos
Supporter

Hi,

Ok, marking this as resolved.

Regards,
Bruno Kos