This is the technical support forum for WPML - the multilingual WordPress plugin.

Everyone can read, but only WPML clients can post here. WPML team is replying on the forum 6 days per week, 22 hours per day.

Please make sure to update to WPML to the latest and check our list of Known Issues before reporting

This topic contains 5 replies, has 2 voices.

Last updated by Marcos Vinicios Barreto 17 hours, 27 minutes ago.

Assigned support staff: Marcos Vinicios Barreto.

Author Posts
March 23, 2020 at 10:46 pm #5746293

ivanS-43

I am new to this field, so I am sorry in advance if I ask you stupid questions... My website is completely new, without any installation, using wordpress.
I need help from you, to check what is possible to do with your plugin, and how to do that correctly.

OK. My website is about car rental. And it will have 2 languages: English as a default language and Russian.
It will have 8 countries where is possible car rental. So I want to organize those countries to be subfolders (subdirectories) so every subfolder will have its own WordPress installation, so I can create specific pages under every country.

For language Url format I want to choose "Different languages in directories".

1) So, now I will explain to you what I would like my website should look, and you tell me is this possible:

example.com - (root page) where I can choose a language.
example.com/en/ - English homepage
example.com/ru/ - Russian homepage

Subfolder for first country (Montenegro):
I will create subfolder "car-rental-montenegro". Now I need to translate this subfolder to Russian language. Can my website look like this?

example.com/en/car-rental-montenegro/ - for English language
example.com/ru/arenda-avto-cherngoriya/ - translation of this subfolder on Russian language

It this possible to do with Wpml? Or it needs to be :
example.com/en/montenegro/ - for English language
example.com/ru/montenegro/ - translation of this subfolder on Russian language

2) Whatever is your answer for previous question, tell me procedure for correctly installing those subfolders for translation.

Problem is that someone told me that I need to create real subfolder “EN” and “RU” and to put my subfolder “car-rental-montenegro” in these 2 language folder. But as I read you documentation, this is mistake, because I do not need to create real directories for languages. Am I right?

If I am right, I just need to
1) install wordpress in root folder, and
2) to create subfolder for my country “car-rental-montenegro”, and install wordpress, and
3) to access this subfolder and to translate it.

Please tell me is it correct or not.

Thanks in advance

March 25, 2020 at 1:26 am #5756093

Marcos Vinicios Barreto
Supporter

Languages: English (English ) Portuguese (Brazil) (Português )

Timezone: America/Bahia (GMT-03:00)

Hello,

Thank you for contacting WPML Support. For this particular setup I wouldn't recommend you to run multiples instances of WordPress in subfolders, you would have a lot of performance issues, incompatibility and so on. Instead you can run WordPress in the multisite mode and then you can have your root and subsites setup properly, this way you can keep just one install of WPML with a setup specific for every subsite.

See: https://wordpress.org/support/article/create-a-network/

Please, let me know if it answers your questions or if you need any additional details and clarifications, have a nice day.

March 25, 2020 at 10:20 pm #5764433

ivanS-43

Thanks very much. I created multisite network.
I just test those features now.
My website is samo-proba.xyz

1) Now tell me - can I translate name of network?
First network is "montenegro"
samo-proba.xyz/montenegro/

Can I translate network "MOntenegro" to somethink like "Chernogoriya" for russian language?
So it would be
samo-proba.xyz/montenegro/ - for english language
samo-proba.xyz/chernogoriya/ - for russian languiage

or it can just be :
samo-proba.xyz/montenegro/en/ - for english language
samo-proba.xyz/montenegro/ru/ - for russian language

2) Do I need to configure wpml plugin for every network? Are settings same?
Different languages in directories, then
Use directory for default language

3) Root page needs to be on every network?
4) Can I create simple page, and to set it as root page?

March 26, 2020 at 7:01 pm #5773211

Marcos Vinicios Barreto
Supporter

Hello,

Thank you for the updates. Regarding your questions:

"1 - Now tell me - can I translate name of network?"

It is not possible, the slug of the website is unique for every subsite, so you can't have different names for your websites based on language.

"2 - or it can just be :

samo-proba.xyz/montenegro/en/ - for english language
samo-proba.xyz/montenegro/ru/ - for russian language"

In this case you have the option to setup the language url format as 'Different languages in directories' from your WordPress Dashboard > WPML > Languages settings.

See: https://wpml.org/faq/server-setting-for-languages-in-directories/

"3 - Do I need to configure wpml plugin for every network? Are settings same?"

For every subsite you need to setup WPML according the subsite needs, there's no an option to set globally as every site in a multisite install has its own needs.

"4 - Root page needs to be on every network?"

For the same reason above you will need to have a root page for every subsite as it is setup at WPML.

"5 - Can I create simple page, and to set it as root page?"

You can choose either a simple html page or a WordPress page to setup it as your root page.

See: https://wpml.org/documentation/getting-started-guide/language-setup/directory-default-language/

Of course you have other possibilities besides these restrictions with a bit of custom code, for that you can refer to one of our WPML contractors at: https://wpml.org/contractors/ to achieve your particular needs.

Hope it helps, have a nice day.

March 26, 2020 at 7:14 pm #5773325

ivanS-43

Thanks very much for information.
I just have 2 more questions.

1) can WPML contractors translate name of a network? If yes, is it advicable?
2) option "use directory for default language" - in case I do not use it, please tell me about seo effect - it will be same as I check this option?

March 27, 2020 at 7:30 pm #5782445

Marcos Vinicios Barreto
Supporter

Hello,

Thank you for the updates. Regarding your questions:

1 - From a tech point of view most of things are possible, however the amount of work to make it wouldn't make it something applicable.

Most sites in the world doesn't translate its domain name, instead they use a domain per lanaguage, for example domain.de for german, domain.pt for portguese etc, but never something like domain-german, domain-pt. Besides that, you can't mix languages in directories with languages in domain for your url format setup.

2 - You shouldn't have any SEO issue as everything is managed by WPML when it sets hreflang, canonical urls and so on. In other words, many customers use this setup and they never report SEO issues.

Please, let me know if you need any additional clarifications and details. Have a nice day.