This is the technical support forum for WPML - the multilingual WordPress plugin.

Everyone can read, but only WPML clients can post here. WPML team is replying on the forum 6 days per week, 22 hours per day.

This topic contains 4 replies, has 2 voices.

Last updated by peterD-62 4 months, 3 weeks ago.

Assigned support staff: Mihai Apetrei.

Author Posts
May 23, 2019 at 1:56 pm #3876051

peterD-62

Hi,

My client is wanting to have independent control of translations. This is what they wrote to me:

"We will need ability to manage English and Chinese site content independently. We will need to be able to edit the Chinese and English blogs separately as well."

Apparently, they will not be just writing blog posts in English and translating them to Chinese. They intend to have both English and Chinese specific blog posts and would like to have it segregated on the site. I'm not sure how to approach this with them, can you give me some guidance on this? Does this even have anything to do with WPML, or is it just a content management issue?

I was thinking of creating a new taxonomy for their posts where they can chose English or Chinese to sort them and the "blog page" for that language would then be the archive page for that taxonomy.

I'm new to multi-lingual WP sites and using WPML so I'm not sure of the best approach here.

May 23, 2019 at 3:22 pm #3877409

Mihai Apetrei
Supporter

Languages: English (English )

Timezone: Europe/Bucharest (GMT+03:00)

Hi and thank you for contacting WPML Support!

I will be happy to help you with this.

I am not sure that I fully understand what you mean but WPML is allowing you to do to manage translations individually with no issue.

Here is the documentation for the translation process:
https://wpml.org/documentation/getting-started-guide/#how-to-translate-pages-posts-and-custom-posts

Can you please let me know if that helps?

Also, if the client could clarify things a bit more, I could maybe give a more targeted answer to their need.

I will be waiting for your response.

Kind regards,
Mihai Apetrei

May 23, 2019 at 3:27 pm #3877429

peterD-62

I think what the client is wanting is that content on the blog portion of the site isn't actually translated. My understanding of that they are looking to do is to have English posts and Chinese posts that are not related at all and not translations of each other, but wholly independent content (I don't know why they want this, but they asked for it...)

I'm thinking that this is not a WPML issue, but a content management one.

May 24, 2019 at 4:43 pm #3886399

Mihai Apetrei
Supporter

Languages: English (English )

Timezone: Europe/Bucharest (GMT+03:00)

Hi.

I totally understand what you mean now.

Well, yes, I don't see why they would like to do that (for example if they would build the pages with a content builder like WPBakery, they could easily create a translation of that by using the WPML Classic Editor or the WPML Advanced Translation Editor (ATE) - this way, yes, they would somehow be connected between them as posts but the WPML translation editors would help them translate faster, by showing them the original content on the left and allowing them to translate the content on the right), but they could use WPML in the way they want, too, without any issue.

They can simply go to the WordPress backend, change the flag at the top and simply create a new post under a specific language and this way they would keep articles and languages separate.

In any way, using a plugin like WPML would save them from having to set up (and maintain after that) 2 separate WordPress websites because they could set up 2 WordPress sites, one on the main domain for example (www.domain.com) and one on a subdirectory like (www.domain.com/en) but that means they would also need to create a manual/custom language switcher and so forth so they would overcomplicate things too much.

I hope that this information helps 🙂

Kind regards,
Mihai

May 24, 2019 at 5:29 pm #3886807

peterD-62

Yes, okay, thanks for the additional information. It is pretty much as I expected. Their request is unusual, the more they keep talking about it, the more it seems like they might end up with two websites in the end....

Thanks for your help, I appreciate it. This is resolved.