This is the technical support forum for WPML - the multilingual WordPress plugin.

Everyone can read, but only WPML clients can post here. WPML team is replying on the forum 6 days per week, 22 hours per day.

This topic contains 1 reply, has 2 voices.

Last updated by Riffaz 1 week, 5 days ago.

Assigned support staff: Riffaz.

Author Posts
October 1, 2019 at 1:28 am #4667905

adamB-42

Using Divi: Translating English to other languages

Please confirm or correct my understanding of these 2 options.

Skip Language - Will automatically duplicate every untranslated page. Adding a translation later will (replace, overwrite, or something like that) the existing duplicate?

Link to home of language for missing translations - no duplicates created - you get a translation if available or a home page if not (of the missing language)?

As for duplicates, as long as I only edit the English, the duplicates will update automatically to match, but if I mistakenly edit the duplicates, this automatic updating of duplicates will no longer work for future English edits?

So . . . I (using the skip option) edited the duplicates by mistake while trying to correct broken links. I have to much to update across all the duplicates as am actively developing the site. I deleted all 2nd language pages, but I cannot locate and delete the duplicates.

What can I do?

October 1, 2019 at 4:59 am #4668757

Riffaz
Supporter

Languages: English (English )

Timezone: Asia/Colombo (GMT+05:30)

Hi,

Thank you for contacting WPML support.

Skip Language - Will automatically duplicate every untranslated page. Adding a translation later will (replace, overwrite, or something like that) the existing duplicate?
- if you choose this option language switcher will not displayed in page/post/etc which is NOT translated.

Link to home of language for missing translations - no duplicates created - you get a translation if available or a home page if not (of the missing language)?
- yes, no duplicates.
- it will redirect to the correct translation if available. if no translation you will be redirected to the homepage.

As for duplicates, as long as I only edit the English, the duplicates will update automatically to match, but if I mistakenly edit the duplicates, this automatic updating of duplicates will no longer work for future English edits?
- no, original will not get updated automatically

I deleted all 2nd language pages, but I cannot locate and delete the duplicates.
- if you do not have any page in second language how is this even possible to have a duplicate page in your site?
- clear your cache and check
- go to WPML > Support > Troubleshooting and perform all the buttons there except 'reset'

Regards,
Riffaz.