Skip Navigation

This is the technical support forum for WPML - the multilingual WordPress plugin.

Everyone can read, but only WPML clients can post here. WPML team is replying on the forum 6 days per week, 22 hours per day.

This topic contains 2 replies, has 2 voices.

Last updated by Joanna 4 years, 10 months ago.

Assigned support staff: Joanna.

Author Posts
November 8, 2016 at 9:56 am #1132174

claudiaD-5

I am trying to: Disylay only the in initials of the Language ( EN or ES ) on WP Menu

URL of (my) website where problem appears: hidden link

I expected to see: I expected to see only the languages available but no the current language.

Instead, I got: I only see the current language.

Steps to duplicate the issue:

wpmlerror2.png
wpmlerror1.png
November 8, 2016 at 11:01 am #1132248

claudiaD-5

I'm trying to get something like the attached image. I'm lookin to have the font awesome globe and the Initials fo the languages that the current page has a translation.

exemplo---language.jpg
November 8, 2016 at 2:49 pm #1132505

Joanna

Hello @claudiad-5,

By default, the language switcher contains all languages available on the website, including the currently displayed language. You can see the current language only because of your settings. You chose to have a drop-down menu, so you need to hover over or click the language switcher to see the full list of languages. If you choose the list of languages, all languages will be visible.

If you don't want to display the currently active language, you'll need to implement a custom language switcher. You can read more about custom language switchers at https://wpml.org/documentation/getting-started-guide/language-setup/custom-language-switcher/.

The second thing is that you can choose what to see from three, not exclusive options: the native language name, the translated language name and the flag. If you decide to create a custom language switcher, you can display whatever you want, e.g. language codes.
If you don't want to create a custom language switcher, you can follow the steps below:
1. Go to WPML->Languages->Site Languages.
2. Find the "Edit Languages" link and click it.
3. Change the translations to be the language codes only, e.g. EN or ES.
4. Go to WPML->Languages->Language switcher options->What to include in the language switcher and choose the "Language name in display language" or "Native language name" option.