Please make sure to update to WPML 4.3.5 and check our list of Known Issues before reporting

Hi, Amit here, I am the WPML Support Manager, our current ticket queue is high, update your WPML plugins and make sure you meet the minimal requirements for running WPML before reporting an issue please - many tickets are resolved doing that

Please look at our updated list of Known Issues and you can also use our support search to find helpful information and of course review our documentation before opening a ticket.

If you do need to open a ticket please make sure to provide us with all the needed information as described in this page

This is the technical support forum for WPML - the multilingual WordPress plugin.

Everyone can read, but only WPML clients can post here. WPML team is replying on the forum 6 days per week, 22 hours per day.

This thread is resolved. Here is a description of the problem and solution.

Problem:
Hide a language when navigation in another specific language
Solution:

:lang(es-ES) .wpml-ls-item-ca {
    display: none !important;
}

I've added this CSS and it is following this syntax:
https://www.w3schools.com/cssref/sel_lang.asp

So basically it is about the following:
- Open Google Chrome console log
- check the HTML Lang language code
- create CSS as the above
- target only language menu item which has the language prefix in the CSS code which you want to hide - Catalan has "ca", meaning it is this one: .wpml-ls-item-ca

Make sure to add this CSS our where it will they picked up properly. You could also try adding it at the following location:
- WPML -> languages -> Language switcher options -> additional CSS

This topic contains 4 replies, has 2 voices.

Last updated by pabloA-26 3 months, 2 weeks ago.

Assigned support staff: Bruno Kos.

Author Posts
August 23, 2019 at 6:57 am #4444577

pabloA-26

Tell us what you are trying to do?

My site is translated in spanish, english, catalan, italian and portuguese

When my users are navigating in italian or portuguese then I want to be able to hide catalán from the language picker.

Is this something I could do with wpml?

This is my site. I currently have hidden italian and portuguese but we can test with catalan.

hidden link

August 23, 2019 at 7:27 am #4444843

Bruno Kos
Supporter

Languages: English (English )

Timezone: Europe/Zagreb (GMT+01:00)

Hi,

I moved this into professional support ticket since there was no response in chat.

I'm not sure this is possible, apart from perhaps coding custom language switcher by using "ICL_LANGUAGE_CODE" maybe, based on which page you are and in which language.
https://wpml.org/documentation/getting-started-guide/language-setup/custom-language-switcher/

If unsure how to do it, I suggest you seek help from our contractors:
https://wpml.org/contractors/

Because coding this and testing would be outside of the scope of support.

Regards,
Bruno Kos

August 23, 2019 at 7:56 am #4444905

pabloA-26

Sorry I didn't realice I was on chat.

It seems it is possible, as this previous thread: https://wpml.org/forums/topic/hide-a-language-when-navigation-in-another-specific-language/#post-4283281

But i was unfortunately closed as I forgot to check back

August 23, 2019 at 8:19 am #4445095

Bruno Kos
Supporter

Languages: English (English )

Timezone: Europe/Zagreb (GMT+01:00)

Hi,

Sorry about this, this idea Rajeeb suggested didn't cross my mind, but it definitely seems to be working.

I've tried this on your site directly - let me show you how:

:lang(es-ES) .wpml-ls-item-ca {
    display: none !important;
}

I've added this CSS and it is following this syntax:
hidden link

So basically it is about the following:
- Open Google Chrome console log
- check the HTML Lang language code
- create CSS as the above
- target only language menu item which has the language prefix in the CSS code which you want to hide - Catalan has "ca", meaning it is this one: .wpml-ls-item-ca

Make sure to add this CSS our where it will they picked up properly. You could also try adding it at the following location:
- WPML -> languages -> Language switcher options -> additional CSS

Regards,
Bruno Kos

August 23, 2019 at 1:30 pm #4447611

pabloA-26

Thanks a lot Bruno it worked perfectly using the additional CSS option in WPML config.