This is the technical support forum for WPML - the multilingual WordPress plugin.

Everyone can read, but only WPML clients can post here. WPML team is replying on the forum 6 days per week, 22 hours per day.

This thread is resolved. Here is a description of the problem and solution.

Problem: client can't see the homepage. The translation says it's 100% but in the front end doesn't appear

Solution: duplicate the original homepage and then translate it

This topic contains 7 replies, has 2 voices.

Last updated by lydiaC-2 1 year, 4 months ago.

Assigned support staff: Laura.

Author Posts
May 11, 2018 at 8:32 pm #2094580

lydiaC-2

I am trying to: Translate the English Homepage to French

Link to a page where the issue can be seen: This is the URL but it has a coming soon plugin activated hidden link

I expected to see: I am using Divi 3.2.2 with a child theme and WPML with the plugins but not the latest version because there's an error with the character limits

Instead, I got: When I click the plus button it goes to the translation page, I copy the content, and in the bottom green bar it says 100% complete, I save and close but nothing happens.

When I look at Reading options in WordPress I get

"Your home page does not exist or its translation is not published in FR.
Edit this page to add translations"

Also when I look at the home under "Translations" I get "Complete - (needs update)" and I cannot get it to "Complete"

Thanks.

May 12, 2018 at 2:45 pm #2100399

Laura
Supporter

Languages: English (English ) Italian (Italiano ) Portuguese (Brazil) (Português )

Timezone: Europe/Rome (GMT+02:00)

Hi,

the first thing to do to exclude already fixed issues is to update WPML. The error you get is caused by Windows server configuration, so you need to update WPML manually. This issue has been fixed in the current version of WPML, so you will need to update manually only once. Please follow the instructions in this post:

https://wpml.org/forums/topic/i-cant-update-my-wpml-becease-the-a-file-name-is-to-long/#post-776219

If updating doesn't fix the issue, I may need to take a look at the site. Please let me know if it is OK for you and I will enable a private answer.
May I ask you if your homepage is complex, with tables, images and so on?

Let me know how this goes on.

May 22, 2018 at 8:41 pm #2211691

lydiaC-2

Hi, I did the manual update and it worked, but the problem persist, I still cannot translate the home page.

When I look inside "Translation Management" I see home and in the end it says "Complete - (needs update)"

Thanks.

May 23, 2018 at 7:41 am #2212975

Laura
Supporter

Languages: English (English ) Italian (Italiano ) Portuguese (Brazil) (Português )

Hi,

I would ask you for your credential so I can better look.
I'll enable the next reply as private.
**Please do a backup before giving me credentials**

May 24, 2018 at 1:24 pm #2223186

lydiaC-2

Hi Laura.

I can give you access to the WordPress admin, what kind of role do you need?

thanks

May 25, 2018 at 8:50 am #2227793

Laura
Supporter

Hi,

I will need admin roles, otherwise I won't be able to see plugins and theme configuration.

Thanks.

May 29, 2018 at 7:45 am #2243194

Laura
Supporter

Hi,

I checked your site but apparently, everything is okay. Maybe one of your other plugins is interfering with the saving process.

You can try to disable all your plugins (except WPML) and switch to default theme and see if you can save it. If you wish to do so, please backup your database first.

Otherwise, I can do the tests, but I will need a copy of your site. We usually suggest using the free plugin Duplicator: https://wpml.org/faq/provide-supporters-copy-site/

I'll enable the next answer as private, so you can share your files with me.

May 31, 2018 at 6:05 pm #2258091

lydiaC-2

Hi Laura.

In the end what I did was duplicate the home page, assign the duplicate as the front page and it worked!, maybe there was something wrong with the original home but I don't know, at least it works now.

Thanks for your help!