Please make sure to update to WPML 4.3.6 and check our list of Known Issues before reporting

This is the technical support forum for WPML - the multilingual WordPress plugin.

Everyone can read, but only WPML clients can post here. WPML team is replying on the forum 6 days per week, 22 hours per day.

This topic contains 7 replies, has 2 voices.

Last updated by Maarten 4 years, 10 months ago.

Assigned support staff: George Botsev.

Author Posts
April 6, 2015 at 8:53 pm #594573

Maarten

Hi,

WPML always worked fine, but now the homepage text keeps changing back from Dutch to the main language (english). After I restore the version, I see the Dutch texts. And after updating the page, the text is English again.

It works fine for all other pages:
hidden link
hidden link --> Everything is Dutch, execpt the page content.

Also, when changing the Dutch page, it mentions:
Permalink: hidden link (instead of hidden link )
While for other pages, it's correct:
Permalink: hidden link (subdomain included)

Do you know what this could be:
- Correct homepage is set under 'settings' --> 'reading'
- Page is translated.
- WPML looks correct (and it used to work, before updating).

Thank you in advance!

April 7, 2015 at 12:50 pm #594974

George Botsev
Supporter

Languages: English (English )

Timezone: Europe/Sofia (GMT+02:00)

Hello and thank you for contacting us.
Can you please provide debug information so that I can see which exact version you are using?
I suspect that you might have issue with theme strings, that are translated but perhaps after the WPML update the option "Translate by WPML" is not selected in WPML > Theme and plugin localization
Please make sure that this option is selected and try again.

I hope that this helps you resolve the issue.

April 7, 2015 at 2:57 pm #595121

Maarten

Thank you for the reply. I've added the debug info.

The info under Theme and plugins localization looks correct. All the theme elements are translated as they should be. All the other pages (except the homepage) are fine. The homepage is translated, but the content just keeps being overwritten by the English content.

I can share logins, but I can't post them in a public forum like this.

April 7, 2015 at 3:01 pm #595132

George Botsev
Supporter

Languages: English (English )

Timezone: Europe/Sofia (GMT+02:00)

This issue is very strange.
I need to request temporary access to try to debug this further.
I am enabling the form that you can use to provide credentials securely.

April 8, 2015 at 6:35 am #595498

George Botsev
Supporter

Languages: English (English )

Timezone: Europe/Sofia (GMT+02:00)

Hello, your diagnostic of the issue appears to be the correct one!
In my screenshot you can see all of the custom fields - most of them are now set to "Translate".
They were set before that to "Copy".
As far as I understand this layout builder that your theme is using - it utilizes the custom field and not the post to keep its settings - so anytime these fields are set to copy - they are getting overwritten by WPML because of the selected "Copy" behaviour.
Setting this to translate - solves the issue.

April 8, 2015 at 1:46 pm #595829

Maarten

Hi

Great to know the origin of the problems. Only, this should be set for every page and blog like this now? Because this would be quite time-consuming. Before updating the theme + wpml, it used to be standard 'not translatable'.

April 8, 2015 at 2:24 pm #595867

George Botsev
Supporter

Languages: English (English )

Timezone: Europe/Sofia (GMT+02:00)

In my opinion, the correct way is to set these fields to be translatable.
You have to set this only once - the same field will be set to be translatable for all posts/pages that use these fields.
After you save the page layout with the graphical builder- then you will not have a problem - it will use the value stored in the translated field.

April 8, 2015 at 11:21 pm #596140

Maarten

Thank you. Because these settings were on page level, I didn't expect it to affect all.
Everything seems good now. Thank you a lot!