Skip Navigation

This is the technical support forum for WPML - the multilingual WordPress plugin.

Everyone can read, but only WPML clients can post here. WPML team is replying on the forum 6 days per week, 22 hours per day.

This topic contains 6 replies, has 2 voices.

Last updated by Dražen Duvnjak 1 month, 1 week ago.

Assigned support staff: Dražen Duvnjak.

Author Posts
March 2, 2021 at 1:07 pm #8207929

vincentM-25

Homepage Slug gets double redirection

March 3, 2021 at 9:46 am #8214681

Dražen Duvnjak
Supporter

Languages: English (English )

Timezone: Europe/Zagreb (GMT+02:00)

Hello,

I will be taking over your ticket and checking the issue.

I see you have changed your Language URL parameter and that the mentioned page, now redirects correctly to the correct homepge.

Link: hidden link

Also, I see your default link page, acts the same. This is the correct way and it happens also without WPML, this is how WordPress works. If RankMath shows a warning message for this, you might want to confirm this happens without WPML also and check with Rank Math support.

Link: hidden link

Please let me know if you still have an issue and if there is anything else I can do to help.

Thanks and kind regards,
Drazen

March 4, 2021 at 11:21 pm #8232409

vincentM-25

Hello,

You misunderstood my problem. I'm getting a redirect within the sitemap for the frontpage.
In the sitemap, the url for the translated frontpage is: hidden link and redirects to: hidden link

The url hidden link doesn't appear in the sitemap.

The additional slug is generated by WPML, I would like to avoid this. I didn't create any redirects; and even though Rank Math is generating the sitemap, it's not generating URLs, so it's probably coming from you. When I translate the frontpage, I also have to translate the url, I can't leave it blank, so it generates the url with the extra slug.

Thank you for your help,
Vincent

March 5, 2021 at 7:02 am #8234269

Dražen Duvnjak
Supporter

Hello,

thanks for getting back and explaining a bit more, I understand the issue now.

I have debugged further this issue and was able to reproduce the same on the clean new website.

After checking this further it seems this is excepted, and should not cause any issue with SEO. It is also mentioned in our documentation:

If you choose other language URL formats, the multilingual sitemaps generated by Rank Math don’t follow the standard structure of multilingual sitemaps. WPML takes care of this by creating hreflang tags so that search engines know the default language of the page’s content and the translation available in different languages.

Link: https://wpml.org/documentation/plugins-compatibility/optimize-multilingual-websites-using-rank-math-and-wpml/#rank-math-sitemaps-and-wpml

I have checked the same with Yoast SEO, and there it works fine.

I also have information that Rank Math devs are preparing an additional fix/glue addon plugin for WPML that will hopefully fix this and improve compatibility between these 2 plugings.

The best I can do is suggest contacting Rank Math support, mention this issue and see if they have a plan on changing/fixing this in the near future.

I hope I was helpful. Don't hesitate to ask if you find any problem along the way, I'll gladly help you. 🙂

Regards,
Drazen

Screenshot_1.jpg
March 11, 2021 at 3:25 pm #8286907

vincentM-25

Hi,
To fix this problem, someone from your team asked me to change the URL structures, to fr/ instead of ?lang=fr once I was finished translating the entire website. It didn't work, and now I have to go on each page and manually change all the internal links because it didn't update !! I did the "scan now and adjust links" in the Translate Link Targets part but it didn't fix it.

Maybe your staff shouldn't suggest changing the URLs especially when it doesn't fix the problem!

Also the links in the footer are not working properly, I've translated it with the translated URLs but it still shows the English ones????

March 12, 2021 at 8:10 am #8291223

Dražen Duvnjak
Supporter

Hello,

thanks for getting back and I am so sorry for the troubles caused.

I will be escalating this issue with sitemaps and homepage slug to our compatibility team and update you as soon as I have some news or fix.

Since we limit 1 issue per 1 ticket to keep things clear, can you please reopen a new ticket for your other issues and one of my colleagues will check it out.

Thanks and kind regards,
Drazen

March 15, 2021 at 6:36 am #8307741

Dražen Duvnjak
Supporter

Hello,

our developers are working on a permanent fix, but in the meantime, we are providing a workaround you can use. I have tested it on my site and it works fine.

Please check the next errata page and follow the suggested workaround:
- https://wpml.org/errata/rankmath-seo-adds-incorrect-entries-for-translated-homepages-in-the-sitemap/

Let me know how it goes.

Kind regards,
Drazen

The topic ‘[Closed] Homepage Slug gets double redirection’ is closed to new replies.