This is the technical support forum for WPML - the multilingual WordPress plugin.

Everyone can read, but only WPML clients can post here. WPML team is replying on the forum 6 days per week, 22 hours per day.

Tagged: 

This topic contains 3 replies, has 2 voices.

Last updated by Bruno Kos 4 weeks ago.

Assigned support staff: Bruno Kos.

Author Posts
September 23, 2019 at 6:04 pm #4626051

Jeremy

I am trying to: get rid of hidden link and hidden link

URL Format is set to: "Different languages in directories" so it should only recognize /en/ and /fr/

Link to a page where the issue can be seen: hidden link and hidden link

I expected to see:
hidden link and hidden link should not be accessible, nor they should be on Google Search.

We're using hidden link and hidden link URL formats (not ?lang=)

Instead, I got:
for some reason WPML generated hidden link and hidden link and then submitted it to Google Search...

Please help us disable hidden link and hidden link
These pages shouldn't exist, they all look broken for some reason too. Why did WPML generate them (again, we're using /en/ and /fr/ URL formats to switch the language) and how do we disable them?

September 24, 2019 at 10:37 am #4630679

Bruno Kos
Supporter

Languages: English (English )

Timezone: Europe/Zagreb (GMT+02:00)

Hi,

Thank you for contacting WPML support!

What Google crawls is outside of WPML influence and may take a while before correct URLs reappear in search engines. However, what you are seeing here are only query parameters that can be added to any URL for that matter:
hidden link

So if you try typing the following:
hidden link

You will get the same page.

You can check these links which describe what is behind this and how this works:
https://stackoverflow.com/questions/31078335/remove-a-query-string-added-to-wordpress-urls
hidden link

However, can you try the following?

- WPML - > Support -> Troubleshooting:
-- Clear the cache in WPML

Also try resaving permalinks.

Also, if you're using any caching system, please clear the caching or disable it temporarily. This also includes server-side caching if available.

Regards,
Bruno Kos

September 24, 2019 at 4:01 pm #4632953

Jeremy

Hi Bruno,

We followed the steps to clear the cache and re-saving the permalinks but the issue still persists.

hidden link and hidden link produce the same page, nothing is broken, so I don't understand your point.

hidden link generates a clean homepage, while hidden link generates a broken page, and if you check the URL's source code it appears to be a Blog (screenshot attached). "lang" is WPML's query string, so it leads me to believe that WPML is responsible.

The articles you provided me with are talking about version URL parameters and how to remove them from enqueued scripts and style files, this is entirely different.

Also, we just did a test by disabling the WPML plugin, and as a result /lang=fr would no longer generate a broken "Blog" page, so WPML is definitely behind this problem.

Please advise.

September 25, 2019 at 5:33 am #4635737

Bruno Kos
Supporter

Languages: English (English )

Timezone: Europe/Zagreb (GMT+02:00)

Hi,

I see - I don't have any other ideas at disposal, such as other troubleshooting functions we can try. Can I ask you the following then? In order to debug this issue , I will install Duplicator plugin, will create packages and will try this on my localhost and possibly escalate further to 2nd tier.

https://wpml.org/faq/provide-supporters-copy-site/

Let me know if this is OK with you.

If yes, I will need WordPress admin username and password so I could do this. I have marked your next reply private so you can safely add this information.

https://wpml.org/purchase/support-policy/privacy-and-security-when-providing-debug-information-for-support/

Please make a full backup of your site before sharing this info!

Regards,
Bruno Kos

The topic ‘[Closed] Homepage with /?lang=fr shouldn't exist. It produces a broken page…’ is closed to new replies.