This is the technical support forum for WPML - the multilingual WordPress plugin.

Everyone can read, but only WPML clients can post here. WPML team is replying on the forum 6 days per week, 22 hours per day.

This topic contains 4 replies, has 3 voices.

Last updated by hlaingM 6 months ago.

Assigned support staff: Shekhar Bhandari.

Author Posts
January 9, 2020 at 4:15 am #5258371

hlaingM

Hi,

I am trying to change the woocommerce original texts (not the woocomomerce user's texts) on pages like cart or checkout, etc., from English to English for display purpose (not for translation) without those changes being erased when woocommerce is upgraded? I will appreciate detailed steps-by-steps procedure on how I can do that.

I am attaching the image to describe the sample texts I am referring to. Thank you.

January 9, 2020 at 6:18 am #5258757

Riffaz
Supporter

Languages: English (English )

Timezone: Asia/Colombo (GMT+05:30)

Hi,

Thank you for contacting WPML support.

Please note, WPML was not created to change texts/words. It was meant to translate the words. So what you are trying is simply not a feature of WPML.

Anyhow, we can try following steps to change the strings in original or primary language. This may work depend on how the plugins/theme (which has the string "Venue") is built.

1. Go to WPML->Languages-> Add new language -> Add a random language
2. Then scroll down and hide this language.
3. Now go back to WPML->String Translation->Select your string -> Change language of string to the newly added hidden language.
4. Now you will have an option to “translate” it on the original language of the theme.

Yet, this is NOT a good solution, this should work by default. If not, there should be some incorrect or not standard code in the theme or plugins and WPML will not check this as it is NOT a WPML feature.

Regards,
Riffaz.

January 10, 2020 at 6:36 pm #5270913

hlaingM

Hi,

Many theme and plugin developers have suggested using any translation plugin for changing the texts in the plugins. Even the free translation plugins like locotranslate can do the job of changing texts without the texts being erased in case of the theme/plugin upgrade.

In fact, I was able to change texts from "Street Address" to "Bldg No. & Street...." using WPML as you can see in the image by following the instructions in the link below.

https://wpml.org/forums/topic/how-to-change-default-english-texts-in-theme-or-plugins/

However, I am not able to see in the "string translation module of WPML" the texts from the place holders such as "Apartment, suite, unit, etc...." as I do with other texts of woocommerce.
How can I change texts for those texts in the placeholders without those edited texts being erased when the plugin is upgraded?

If you do not know the answer to that, please kindly pass it to one of your colleagues who knows the answer. This can be done by any translation plugins according to what developers said. I really need the solution for that. Thank you.

January 13, 2020 at 12:50 am #5277595

Shekhar Bhandari
Supporter

Languages: English (English )

Timezone: Asia/Kathmandu (GMT+05:45)

Hello there,

Riffaz has passed the ticket to me, so I will be taking care of this ticket forward, I hope that's ok.

From what I can understand from your replies is that you are known about changing the language/text of original strings as per the instructions from Noman in another ticket. But the problem is some strings such as "Apartment, suite, unit, etc...." is not appearing in string translations so you can use the method to change it, am I correct?

if so, can you please follow the below steps:
- Go to theme and Plugin localization
- Go to Strings in the plugins
- Select the WooCommerce plugin
- Click on "Scan selected plugins for strings"
- Once completed, go to WPML -> Strings Translation, the mentioned string will be available there.

Let me know if this helps.

Thanks

January 13, 2020 at 7:18 am #5279457

hlaingM

My issue is resolved now. Thank you!