Skip Navigation

This is the technical support forum for WPML - the multilingual WordPress plugin.

Everyone can read, but only WPML clients can post here. WPML team is replying on the forum 6 days per week, 22 hours per day.

This topic contains 20 replies, has 3 voices.

Last updated by Alejandro 3 years, 4 months ago.

Assisted by: Alejandro.

Author Posts
November 19, 2020 at 12:41 am #7478731

eiichiK

Tell us what you are trying to do?
I have deleted the translation page. However the icon of under that language won't change to "+". Please check attached screen shot.
Is there any documentation that you are following?

Is there a similar example that we can see?

What is the link to your site?

スクリーンショット 2020-11-19 9.31.56.png
November 19, 2020 at 8:46 am #7481069

Laura
Supporter

Languages: English (English ) Italian (Italiano )

Timezone: Europe/Rome (GMT+02:00)

Hi,

thanks for contacting us.

Before your ticket is assigned to one of my colleagues, please allow me to walk you through some initial debugging steps. This will help speed up the support process.

Please make sure you delete the translation from the trash. I can see you have some items in your trash bin, but until a translation is not deleted permanently it will still be linked to its original.

If this isn't your case, please provide us your WPML debug information. You can find it in:
WPML -> Support -> click on debug information link
Then you can copy/paste the text you see in the Debug box I'll enable for the next answer.
More information here: http://wpml.org/faq/provide-debug-information-faster-support/

November 20, 2020 at 12:59 am #7488997

eiichiK

Hello Laura,
Thank you for your support and it worked. However, it didn't help for my main issue. Please check my website hidden link and hold your pointer on the menu for a couple seconds. You can see the blank rectangle on some menus. I realized the menus have "not translated" in WP menus Sync in Chinese are not showing that rectangle. We don't need the Chinese translation here but we need Chinese on the language list to redirect to the website in Chinese server for the connecting speed.
So I wanted to delete that rectangles on the menus and I thought I need to change all menus to "not translated" in Chinese and that was my question.
Do you have any idea about this?
Thanks,
Eiichi

2020-11-20-9.46.43.png
November 20, 2020 at 1:28 am #7489061

eiichiK

I just found all my translations are not showing in pages!!
Please advise.

スクリーンショット 2020-11-20 10.26.05.png
November 20, 2020 at 5:55 am #7490401

eiichiK

I think it happened after Divi theme update. I'm asking Divi support about that now.

November 21, 2020 at 6:56 am #7497545

eiichiK

I found that was not only by Divi. When I installed a new plugin, that happened too. I have tried a couple plugins and it happened every time. Then I used my backup to recover. Can you find what's the problem in my WordPress?

November 22, 2020 at 7:52 am #7501791

Alejandro
Supporter

Languages: English (English ) Spanish (Español ) Italian (Italiano )

Hello,

I'm not entirely sure of the problem.

Allow me to ask you a few questions so I can understand better and so I can help you:

1) what is the Grey empty rectangle suppose to be? By default a drop down menu should not appear unless there are elements and an empty rectangle suggests there's an element assigned as a subitem of the menu selected yet there's nothing there.

2) what do you mean by "menus set to do not translate"? It looks as if they were custom fields, yet menus are not custom fields.
Menus should never be set to "do not translate" since, well, you need them translated. Please clarify on this so I can better understand.

3) I'm not entirely sure about the problem you're facing and what you want to achieve. Is it that you don't want to show that rectangle?

Please let me know so I can better understand how to continue.

November 25, 2020 at 9:43 am #7523657

Alejandro
Supporter

Hello,

Please check this video: hidden link

I can't really see any rectangle at all i tried on many pages (after i recorded the video) and couldn't really see the problem.

Can you please check if i'm missing a step and if i do, can you please let me know which step i'm missing so i can recreate the problem?

Thanks in advance.

November 25, 2020 at 10:41 am #7524457

eiichiK

Please hold your pointer on the menu at least 3 seconds. Home, catalog, and About us show the blank rectangle. It looks like WPML language menu. When you point on "English" and wait for a little, you can see "English" in the rectangle.

Thanks,
Eiichi

November 25, 2020 at 3:54 pm #7526903

Alejandro
Supporter

Pleas check this video: hidden link

I can't see anything, unfortunately. if you see it, please open the JS inpector (right click on the page > Inspector) and then set it to the "elements" tab.

Last but not least, please check if you see anything in the HTML structure that points to that gray rectangle, because i can't really see it and i'm not sure if i'm still missing something (that's why i recorded the video, so you can check it out and lt me know if you spot something i'm doing wrong).

Regards.

November 25, 2020 at 10:59 pm #7529599

eiichiK

Do you use IE? Please check it with Chrome and Safari.
Thanks,
Eiichi

November 26, 2020 at 12:23 pm #7534407

Alejandro
Supporter

The video i sent you was recorded when using Chrome. i don't have access to a MAC so i can't test it with safari but i also tried it with IE, Edge, Opera and firefox (in both regular and incognito mode) with the same exact result.

Regards.

November 26, 2020 at 1:11 pm #7534903

eiichiK

I upload my video of Chrome.
hidden link
Thanks,
Eiichi

November 26, 2020 at 6:16 pm #7537187

Alejandro
Supporter

I believe i know what that is!

Those boxes are probably coming from the BROWSER or your computer (that's why neither i nor my colleagues could see them).

They are meant to show an "alt-title" tag label. see how the same boxes are there in the language switcher with the name of the language? they are the same.

the reason why you are seeing this is because the alt-text for those menu elements seems to be defined but empty while that's not the case for other elements.

I'm not sure why they are displaying, but i believe it has nothing to do with WPML, your site or even WordPress.
It seems it has to do with either the browser or your pc (maybe you have some option enabled that shows the alt-text where defined)

Please try disabling WPML, flushing all your caches and recording yourself while checking if the problem continues or not and let me know how it goes. do they still appear?

November 26, 2020 at 10:09 pm #7537867

eiichiK

All my five computers are same and my colleagues see the same. We all use Mac OS. Can you check that with Mac? Our Chinese website doesn't use WPML and there are no rectangles at all. And the rectangles are on Safari and Chrome and not on Firefox here.
Again, there are no rectangles on the menus of "SRB units" and two other dropbox menus, and "News". I have never made the Chinese translation for those pages before. So I deleted Chinese pages from other menu pages except "Home". I need the Chinese menu for the redirection to our Chinese website. However, those rectangles are still there. And this is why I asked this question how to clear the translation to make the same conditions as "SRB units" and "News" pages.

Thanks,
Eiichi

This ticket is now closed. If you're a WPML client and need related help, please open a new support ticket.