Skip Navigation

This is the technical support forum for WPML - the multilingual WordPress plugin.

Everyone can read, but only WPML clients can post here. WPML team is replying on the forum 6 days per week, 22 hours per day.

Our next available supporter will start replying to tickets in about 1.79 hours from now. Thank you for your understanding.

This topic contains 20 replies, has 3 voices.

Last updated by Alejandro 3 years, 4 months ago.

Assisted by: Alejandro.

Author Posts
November 28, 2020 at 10:45 am #7549361

Alejandro
Supporter

Languages: English (English ) Spanish (Español ) Italian (Italiano )

Timezone: Europe/Rome (GMT+02:00)

I asked a colleague to check on a MAC because, unfortunately, i can't (i don't have access to a MAC and our colleagues with PC could not see the problem).

At least we know now the problem seems restricted to MAC users alone.

In the meantime, please record yourself doing the following so i can send it to our colleague:

1) Open Incognito Mode
2) Disable WPML (and related add ons) and show it in the video
3) check if the problem persists in the front-end
4) Now enable WPML and try the same step 3 again

Do you notice a change? does the gray boxes disappear at all there?

Let me know.

November 28, 2020 at 11:13 am #7549369

Alejandro
Supporter

I finally found the problem and it's that some menu elements have a huge blank space in the "title attribute": hidden link

a colleague checked it out on mac and i can confirm this can ony be seen in macs.

- To fix this go to appearance > Menus > "Screen options" (in the top right corner of the page)
- activate "title attribute"
- Go to the menus and delete that huge space in the menu elements.
- Save the menu and check the front-end.

I tested this by creating a new element with and without WPML and none of them created new menus with that problem so i can only suspect that it was done by mistake, manually (in the past, maybe? ) but of course it's only a theory.

In the video you can see how to fix the problem and the colleague actually tested it on his MAC and it indeed disappeared.

Regards.

November 28, 2020 at 11:15 am #7549371

eiichiK

I think I have a problem in my wordpress. When I disable WPML and activate it again, I don't see my translated pages. Please check the screen shot in my reply #7489061.
Do I have to use my backup now?
Please advise.

Thank you,
Eiichi

November 28, 2020 at 2:08 pm #7549569

Alejandro
Supporter

Hello, please confirm the grey box issue is now fixed.

Apart from that, you're right there is something weird happening in your site.

I believe the problem is happening because of an SSL issue. i'd suggest that you install a plugin like "simple SSL" and try to see if that fixes the mixed content issues you have on your pages because they seem to prevent the loading of scripts and css files.

However, if the problem continues only with WPML, let me know so i can split the ticket and continue there, since we can only tackle one issue per ticket.

Let me know how it goes.

November 28, 2020 at 2:34 pm #7549609

eiichiK

Alejandro,
Thank you very much. I finally understand what was the problem. It was not from WPML. I should ask to Divi. I have no idea about that spaces and didn't even know that setting. Sorry about that.
However, I can't fix that now because my dashboard doesn't work right. I just installed Simple SSL as your suggestion. However it doesn't help. The error shows "System detection encountered issues A definition of a siteurl or homeurl was detected in your wp-config.php, but the file is not writable. Set your wp-config.php to writable and reload this page." I use AWS and can't change the permission easily.
Thanks,
Eiichi

November 28, 2020 at 2:45 pm #7549615

Alejandro
Supporter

I see, the problem here are probably 2:

1) In wp-config.php you have defined the site url and page url. that is probably not needed so try disabling them by editing the wp-config.php file and comment out a definition that looks like this:

define( 'WP_HOME', '<em><u>hidden link</u></em>' );
define( 'WP_SITEURL', '<em><u>hidden link</u></em>' );

More info on this: https://wordpress.org/support/article/changing-the-site-url/

2) The other issue is about permissions. you need to check that the wp-content directory (the entire irectory, subdirectory and files) is writable, because otherwise you won't be able to correctly execute WPML, your theme functions and many plugins at all.

However both these things have nothing to do with WPML, so we are a bit limited on what we can do here. you might want to ask your hosting support or the team that handles the server so they can set it up in a correct way for your WordPress installation.

Regards.

This ticket is now closed. If you're a WPML client and need related help, please open a new support ticket.