Please make sure to update to WPML 4.3.5 and check our list of Known Issues before reporting

Hi, Amit here, I am the WPML Support Manager, our current ticket queue is high, update your WPML plugins and make sure you meet the minimal requirements for running WPML before reporting an issue please - many tickets are resolved doing that

Please look at our updated list of Known Issues and you can also use our support search to find helpful information and of course review our documentation before opening a ticket.

If you do need to open a ticket please make sure to provide us with all the needed information as described in this page

This is the technical support forum for WPML - the multilingual WordPress plugin.

Everyone can read, but only WPML clients can post here. WPML team is replying on the forum 6 days per week, 22 hours per day.

This topic contains 6 replies, has 2 voices.

Last updated by jin woo 5 years ago.

Assigned support staff: Beda.

Author Posts
November 5, 2014 at 9:05 am #505910

jin woo

I am trying to: generate mo, po file after we translated.

I visited this URL:

I expected to see:

Instead, I got:

If your theme's texts are wrapped in gettext calls, WPML can help you display it multilingual.

Translate by WPML. <====== checked
Translate using .mo files.

Select how to get translations for WordPress core

WPML will automatically download translations for WordPress
I will download translations for WordPress and save .mo files in wp-includes/languages <====== checked

We have 5 languages and 1 of them (german) doesn't have mo file in wp-content/lanuages
and somehow we have done german translation "translate by WPML". however, we can't really find mo, po file for german.
wpml still says "File not found!"

How can I generate mo file for german?

Thank you,

November 5, 2014 at 2:57 pm #506252

Beda
Supporter

Languages: English (English ) Spanish (Español ) German (Deutsch ) Italian (Italiano )

Hello

It would be good that you first update your WPML and WPML add-ons to their latest versions. Can you do this please?

In my local Install using your same settings, I was not able to reproduce the named issue.

Please let me know if the issue persist after the needed updates.

Thank you

November 6, 2014 at 2:30 am #506547

jin woo

Hello,

We updated the newest version and it's still same. do you mind if you can take a look at our site?
I am not sure how I can make it as private message.

Thank you,
Rob

November 6, 2014 at 2:00 pm #506995

Beda
Supporter

Languages: English (English ) Spanish (Español ) German (Deutsch ) Italian (Italiano )

Hello

In this case I need to request temporary access (wp-admin and FTP) to your site - preferably to a test site where the problem has been replicated if possible - in order to be of better help. You will find the needed fields for this below the comment area when you log in to leave your next reply. The information you will enter is private which means only you and I can see and have access to it.

Please confirm to have a backup of your website and database available.
I would also need permission to deactivate/reactivate plugins and themes.

Thank you

November 9, 2014 at 5:37 pm #508291

Beda
Supporter

Hello

Normally you export a .po file via WPML > String Translation, even if "Translate with WPML" is active.
If the translator uses hidden link, the .mo file is automatically created by this program, so the translator would just need to send you this file.

Here is a instruction on how to generate a .mo file from a .po file using Poedit (it is from Concrete5 Howto, but it is related to Poedit)
hidden link

IMPORTANT NOTE Since WPML version 2.6.0, which was released on August 27, 2012, it no longer is necessary to upload the WordPress language files by yourself. Instead WPML can take care of that all by itself.
For some languages these .mo files might not be entirely up to date, but evenso there would only be a few strings different, so it is still very worthwhile.
Although WPML tells you that those files need to be uploaded to wp-includes/languages, you can also upload them to wp-content/languages, which I personally find safer as you never know what gets overwritten during an official WordPress update.

I hope I could help you with this.

Thank you

November 21, 2014 at 9:38 am #515493

jin woo

Do you mean we need to make mo files from our po files by poedit and upload them on wp-content/languages?

Please let me know. it's still "File not found!" on German.

Thank you,

November 21, 2014 at 10:45 am #515555

jin woo

I think it solved. thank you for your advice. I misunderstood. 🙂