This is the technical support forum for WPML - the multilingual WordPress plugin.

Everyone can read, but only WPML clients can post here. WPML team is replying on the forum 6 days per week, 22 hours per day.

This topic contains 2 replies, has 2 voices.

Last updated by joopv-2 5 months, 2 weeks ago.

Assigned support staff: Marcel.

Author Posts
May 9, 2019 at 9:38 am #3774707

joopv-2

A client of mine for reasons I will not mention but do respect, wants to split up his German/Dutch (WPML-driven) Website in two completely independent websites, one for the Dutch market, one for the German market. Both websites will from then on develope independently. The main language is now German, all content has been translated into Dutch.

This would be my approach but I'm unsure that it will do the job.

I will copy the present website to the two new domains. In the German Domain, I could then delete all Dutch pages and posts and then delete WPML.

In the new Dutch domain, I would do the reverse: delete the German pages and posts. I would first make Dutch the main language.

But I'm afraid there might be some pitfalls.

Any help will be much appreciated!

May 9, 2019 at 10:56 am #3775481

Marcel
Supporter

Languages: English (English ) German (Deutsch )

Timezone: Europe/Madrid (GMT+02:00)

Hi Joop,

Thank you for contacting WPML Support.

Yes, your approach would work. I would recommend you test this first on a local installation before you separate the sites. So you can check everything without affecting the live site.

Another approach would be using a WordPress multisite network. Here you have only one installation of WordPress where you can share users/themes/plugins to all your sites. One benefit is that you need to take only care of once for security and hosting. (WPML supports this setup too)

The negative aspect of these two approaches is that they produce much more maintenance work and can affect the security of your server negatively, as you need to maintain everything double. Please also don't forget to setup all the correct hreflangs for each installation to don't affect your sites SEO ranking, as this was done from WPML before. This is all more work but if this fits for you the best it's the correct way.

If your client had any special trouble with our plugins, we also have a support forum for end users (You as developer can invite your client to use it). Here they receive support in a non-technical language. We also have tons of videos and online resources, if they were overwhelmed on how to use our products. If your client had any technical problem, please feel free to ask me for help.

Best Marcel

May 9, 2019 at 11:43 am #3775725

joopv-2

Thank you for your quick and to-the-point reply!

I will do it the way you described.

No, it has nothing to do with being dissatisfied with the WPML-plugin. And yes, I warned them for the extra work and cost.