This is the technical support forum for WPML - the multilingual WordPress plugin.

Everyone can read, but only WPML clients can post here. WPML team is replying on the forum 6 days per week, 22 hours per day.

Our next available supporter will start replying to tickets in about 0.89 hours from now. Thank you for your understanding.

This topic contains 2 replies, has 2 voices.

Last updated by marinoB-2 5 months ago.

Assigned support staff: Shekhar Bhandari.

Author Posts
May 11, 2019 at 10:48 pm #3791509

marinoB-2

hidden link
This is the website I'm working on. Two languages: English and Italian which is the main language)

The question is this: whenever I create a new page it might happen that I don't need to translate it for marketing purposes. When this condition occurs I don't see the two flags on the main menu (that's where they should be) but only the flag of the language of the page I am browsing.

The other problem is this: the Italian index displays only the Italian flag. Does it happen because the English version is not complete? Now there's the issue: the two home pages are completely different in both graphic layout and content so why I find two columns in the pages list (with an incomplete page marked with an icon with two gears) where I should type each version of each language? If I don't complete the translation of one of the two languages I get only one language switcher in the main menu. Solution?
What should I do to display always both language flags even if one page is not translated at all or it doesn't even exist?

What would you do in this situation? One site, two languages, some pages only in Italian, some only in English, some in both languages but completely different in layout and content?

And why if I add the language switcher to the Top Bar (over the logo) (I'm using Total Theme WP template) the language switcher on the right of the main menu disappear?

Hope you can answer all these questions at once.
Many thanks,

May 13, 2019 at 9:13 am #3796385

Shekhar Bhandari
Supporter

Languages: English (English )

Timezone: Asia/Kathmandu (GMT+05:45)

Hello there,

Welcome to WPML support. I'd be assisting you further on this issue.

To show the language flag you will need to translate the content, it's not possible to display the flag without translating the content, but you can wish our "Display as translated" feature, where the pages will be displayed as translated even if the translation is not done. More details here: https://wpml.org/documentation/translating-your-contents/displaying-untranslated-content-on-pages-in-secondary-languages/

Have you created separate pages for the languages?

And why if I add the language switcher to the Top Bar (over the logo) (I'm using Total Theme WP template) the language switcher on the right of the main menu disappear?

Could you please add a few screenshots to show the issue?

Look forward to your reply.

Thanks

May 16, 2019 at 9:44 am #3824089

marinoB-2

My issue is resolved now. Thank you!