This is the technical support forum for WPML - the multilingual WordPress plugin.

Everyone can read, but only WPML clients can post here. WPML team is replying on the forum 6 days per week, 22 hours per day.

This topic contains 10 replies, has 2 voices.

Last updated by Bruno 4 months, 2 weeks ago.

Assigned support staff: Bruno.

Author Posts
May 20, 2019 at 9:26 pm #3850251

paulS-73

Hey there. Just getting started and I have a couple of questions...

1. Is it true that since all of the content of my website was created within a theme, all of the content must be translated as a string? Or is there another way to approach this?

2. Is it true that because my theme is unsupported (Nexus) WMPL cannot acces the content of my website? If I can translate the content through WPML, how do I do that?

Thank you.

May 21, 2019 at 12:59 am #3850721

Bruno
Supporter

Languages: English (English ) Portuguese (Brazil) (Português )

Timezone: America/Sao_Paulo (GMT-03:00)

Hi,

Thank you for contacting us.

>>> 1. Is it true that since all of the content of my website was created within a theme, all of the content must be translated as a string? Or is there another way to approach this?

It depends on how your theme was done. Depending on how it was done, yes, you will need to translate the strings using String Translation.

Some themes allow you to translate theme options using the language selector in the top bar.

>>> 2. Is it true that because my theme is unsupported (Nexus) WMPL cannot acces the content of my website? If I can translate the content through WPML, how do I do that?

Again, it depends on how your theme was done. Have you tried translating the pages and posts of your theme to see how this will behave?

You can see our basic tutorial here in our documentation: https://wpml.org/documentation/getting-started-guide/

By following these steps, you still can not translate the content of your site?

Thank you.

May 21, 2019 at 3:07 pm #3856475

paulS-73

Hi again. Yes, I've tried translating the pages as per steps in the documentation. For example, I can locate my "about" (mangosjds.com/about) but the only translatable fields that show up in the translation editor are the SEO stuff like the text from the snippet etc. I have set all the custom fields to translatable but nothing shows up in the translation editor or in the string translation editor. There are something like 16k strings listed in the string editor but searching for text from our about page like "adventurous" nothing comes up. I can see all the stock Nexus text from their widgets etc. but I can't find any of the content I created.

Any suggestions?

May 22, 2019 at 9:02 pm #3869259

Bruno
Supporter

Hi,

Thank you. So that I can verify this, I'll need to request temporary access (wp-admin and FTP) to your site - preferably to a test site where the problem has been replicated if possible - in order to be of better help.

You will find the needed fields for this below the comment area when you log in to leave your next reply. The information you will enter is private which means only you and I can see and have access to it.

Note:

*** Please let me know exactly what steps should I follow to see the problem.

*** Please, can I install the Duplicator plugin (or All in One Migration) to make a copy of your site and install it on my test environment? This will help me debug the problem.

*** Note: Please make a full backup of your site.

Privacy and Security when Providing Debug Information for Support: https://wpml.org/purchase/support-policy/privacy-and-security-when-providing-debug-information-for-support/

Thank you.

May 24, 2019 at 11:15 pm #3887771

Bruno
Supporter

Thank you. When I try to access your site, this error message is displayed: ERROR: Invalid username. Lost your password?

Please, could you double-check the credentials? If necessary you can edit your private message above.

Also, which page are you trying to translate? Please let me know exactly what steps should I follow to see the problem.

Thank you.

May 27, 2019 at 2:45 pm #3898563

paulS-73

My appologies for the error. I've updated the login information.

May 27, 2019 at 3:26 pm #3899039

paulS-73

I'm trying to translate all of the pages but the mangosjds.com/about page is a good place to start and is a good example of the problem I'm having. I can't find any of the text on the page in the string editing interface.

For example, I cant find any of this text to translate:

"Mango Vacation Rentals was created to do one thing, and one thing only. We pair adventurous people with the most amazing places to stay in San Juan del Sur, Nicaragua. Here is how we do it:"

May 28, 2019 at 2:36 am #3902063

Bruno
Supporter

Thank you. Yes, this seems to be a compatibility issue. It looks like this block feature that you are using is not being detected by WPML.

Please, can I install the Duplicator plugin (or All in One Migration) to make a copy of your site and install it on my test environment? This will help me debug the problem.

Thank you.

May 28, 2019 at 2:34 pm #3907901

paulS-73

Yes, please install the duplication plugin and make a copy of the site for testing purposes.

May 29, 2019 at 6:54 am #3912203

Bruno
Supporter

Thank you. I've installed Duplicator plugin and I did a copy of your site. I will install it on my test environment and soon I will contact you.

Thank you.

May 29, 2019 at 11:37 pm #3919013

Bruno
Supporter

Thank you for waiting. Inside your site, I save the "About" page again without editing anything, just press the "Update" button.

Now the fields are being displayed for translation on the ATE page. I'll attach a picture so you can see.

If the problem is with other pages, follow the steps above and save the page in the original language again and see if the fields will be added for translation.

Thank you.

The topic ‘[Closed] How do I find content within a theme to translate?’ is closed to new replies.