Skip Navigation

This is the technical support forum for WPML - the multilingual WordPress plugin.

Everyone can read, but only WPML clients can post here. WPML team is replying on the forum 6 days per week, 22 hours per day.

This topic contains 10 replies, has 2 voices.

Last updated by zuzannaR 3 months ago.

Assigned support staff: Riffaz.

Author Posts
October 18, 2020 at 10:53 pm #7253341

zuzannaR

Until now I've been using the Translator Editor, but I want to switch to using the Duplicate option, as I find it a lot easier and more user friendly.

I am retranslating all my current posts using the Duplicate option + Translate independently.

In case I don't remember which posts have already been duplicated and retranslated, is there a way of checking that somewhere? When I enter a duplicated and retranslated posts, it looks exactly the same as a post translated using the Translation Editor.

Does it say soemwhere that the post has been duplicated? I can't find it anywhere.

Thank you.

October 19, 2020 at 2:12 am #7253681

Riffaz
Supporter

Languages: English (English )

Timezone: Asia/Colombo (GMT+05:30)

Hi,

Thank you for contacting WPML support.

If a page is translated you will see 'duplicate' option no longer.
you will see "duplicate" in a bracket next to the duplicated language in the right side 'language' meta box as attached screenshot.

Let me know if you need anything else regarding this.

Regards,
Riffaz.

October 19, 2020 at 6:48 am #7254805

zuzannaR

Hi Riffaz,

I don't see the "duplicate" label. Should I see it in the primary language or the secondary one? I checked both and I don't have it (screenshots attached).

Here's what I did:
1. I went to the Spanish version of the Dashboard (secondary language), opened the post in question and clicked on "Overwrite with EN content".
2. Once the content got overwritten, I clicked on "Translate independently" and pasted the Spanish translation.

I think this is the correct way of duplicating the content (as far as I understood from the documentation and the forum).

Am I doing something wrong?

Thank you.

October 19, 2020 at 12:26 pm #7257853

Riffaz
Supporter

Hi,

You are correct.

You are overriding it your old contents. That's why you are not seeing the same hints.
The screenshot I gave you, you will see for new duplicates. not for the overriding old contents.

Let me know if you need anything else regarding this.

Regards,

October 19, 2020 at 12:28 pm #7257865

zuzannaR

OK, so how do I know that the old content has been overwritten and not translated using the Translation Editor? Is there some way to see the difference?

October 19, 2020 at 12:32 pm #7257889

Riffaz
Supporter

Hi,

I could not find anything. There is no any way to see that except 'copy content from' button there. as you see the button is greyed out on your screenshot https://wpml.org/wp-content/uploads/2020/10/7254805-duplicate_Spanish.png
That means you already override it.

It would be a cool feature though if we can see this in once. Would you mind sending a feature a request for this? https://wpml.org/suggest-a-new-feature-for-wpml/

Regards,

October 19, 2020 at 1:22 pm #7258391

zuzannaR

Thank you for explaining - that would be a nice feature indeed.
One more (last) question. When I use the duplicate feature, which button should I use?
"Copy Content from EN"
or
"Overwrite with EN content"?
What's the difference between the two?

October 20, 2020 at 10:46 am #7265199

Riffaz
Supporter

Hi,

That depends on what you need or think

please refer
Overwrite with EN content https://wpml.org/documentation/translating-your-contents/displaying-untranslated-content-on-pages-in-secondary-languages/#how-to-convert-a-translation-into-a-duplicate

vs

copy content from En https://wpml.org/documentation/translating-your-contents/displaying-untranslated-content-on-pages-in-secondary-languages/#copying-content

Regards,

October 21, 2020 at 9:40 pm #7278991

zuzannaR

Just to make sure I understand:
As the copied text does not stay synced with the default content, is it safe to say it does the exact same thing as overwriting the content and using "translate independetly" option?

in any case, My issue is sovled. Thank you.

October 22, 2020 at 6:00 am #7281667

Riffaz
Supporter

Hi,

As the copied text does not stay synced with the default content, is it safe to say it does the exact same thing as overwriting the content and using "translate independetly" option?
- yes

Regards,

October 25, 2020 at 8:50 pm #7303857

zuzannaR

My issue is resolved now. Thank you!