We have just released WPML 4.3.3. Before reporting issues please make sure to update - this version resolves all known issues with the major WPML 4.3 release

Hi, Amit here, I am the WPML Support Manager, our current ticket queue is high, update your WPML plugins and make sure you meet the minimal requirements for running WPML before reporting an issue please - many tickets are resolved doing that

Please look at our updated list of Known Issues and you can also use our support search to find helpful information and of course review our documentation before opening a ticket.

If you do need to open a ticket please make sure to provide us with all the needed information as described in this page

This is the technical support forum for WPML - the multilingual WordPress plugin.

Everyone can read, but only WPML clients can post here. WPML team is replying on the forum 6 days per week, 22 hours per day.

This topic contains 3 replies, has 2 voices.

Last updated by Shekhar Bhandari 1 year, 5 months ago.

Assigned support staff: Shekhar Bhandari.

Author Posts
May 29, 2018 at 2:39 am #2242645

sangL-2

There are 3 different locations where "Multilingual Content Setup" options are available:

1 - WPML >> Translation options >> Post Types Translation >> Field Groups (acf-field-group)
2 - Custom Fields >> [Edit Field Group] >> "Multilingual Content Setup"
3 - [Edit Post] >> "Multilingual Content Setup"

I've read all of the documentation and searched the user forums...but it's not 100% clear how these various options work with each other. Is the WPML settings (#1) the default global settings for particular type of content...and then #2 is a override on a per Field Group level? And #3 is furthermore override at the post/page basis?

If I change the "Multilingual Content Setup" setting on a specific post -- does it impact the translation settings on any of the other posts of that type?

Thanks in advance for your help.

May 30, 2018 at 10:28 am #2250516

Shekhar Bhandari
Supporter

Languages: English (English )

Timezone: Asia/Kathmandu (GMT+05:45)

Hello there,

Thank you for contacting WPML support. I'd be happy to assist you further on this issue.

If you change the settings for any fields in any of the three places, it will be auto synchronized and you can see that changes to all three places.

Also, if you change settings for a post using Multilingual content setup, the settings will be for the post type, not a single post, so the settings will be similar to other posts.

Let me know if this helps.

Thanks

June 4, 2018 at 4:55 pm #2270779

sangL-2

Ok - so if I'm reading your response correctly, then "Multilingual Content Setup" setting are actually global settings specific to that Post Type or Field group. And if I change the settings on a specific Post, I'm actually changing the translation behavior for ALL posts of this Post type -- is that correct?

Then, I have a follow up question...can I hide the "Multilingual Content Setup" option on the post edit screens by user role? Since this a global setting, we don't want content editor from seeing this option on the Post Edits screens and inadvertently changing translation setup.

Just a quick suggestion -- the documentation could benefit greatly from having this bit of information added. Also, all of your ACF documentation seems to still talk about translating Fields...but AFAIK, one does not translated fields anymore...but rather, field GROUPS. This renders most of your ACF integration documentation less useful and more often than not is very confusing.

Thanks,
Sang

June 5, 2018 at 11:25 am #2274717

Shekhar Bhandari
Supporter

Languages: English (English )

Timezone: Asia/Kathmandu (GMT+05:45)

Hello there,

Ok - so if I'm reading your response correctly, then "Multilingual Content Setup" setting are actually global settings specific to that Post Type or Field group. And if I change the settings on a specific Post, I'm actually changing the translation behavior for ALL posts of this Post type -- is that correct?

Yes.

Can I hide the "Multilingual Content Setup" option on the post edit screens by user role? Since this a global setting, we don't want content editor from seeing this option on the Post Edits screens and inadvertently changing translation setup.

There is not an option for achieving this currently, but you can get this feature using some custom programming code, which is beyond the scope of our support.

At this point I would suggest you consider contacting one of our certified partners from this link:
http://wpml.org/documentation/support/wpml-contractors/

Before doing so please have a look also here:
http://wpml.org/documentation/support/wpml-contractors/guidelines-for-people-looking-for-consulting-help/

You will get the custom assistance you need to get on with your project.

Regarding the suggestion about documentation, I would like to thank you and will pass your feedback to documentation team.

Thanks