This is the technical support forum for WPML - the multilingual WordPress plugin.

Everyone can read, but only WPML clients can post here. WPML team is replying on the forum 6 days per week, 22 hours per day.

This topic contains 1 reply, has 2 voices.

Last updated by Shekhar Bhandari 1 year ago.

Assigned support staff: Shekhar Bhandari.

Author Posts
October 9, 2018 at 12:06 pm #2799867

atefR

Hi,
I am creating a new multilingual website in English, French and German. it will contain books and audio lectures.

Some content (e.g. arts related books) is suitable to be displayed in all languages, while other content (e.g. spiritual audio lectures in German) is only suitable for the German site.

I have chosen the option ""Translatable - use translation if available or fallback to original language"", but I discovered that this option is suitable for the material that can be displayed in all languages, otherwise the results will be meaningless for visitors.

I have a question:
Is there a way to get visitors to "filter" the content of one language only? for example, if a french visitor visits the site, can they click on a button to filter out all the other material, and show only the French content?

I know that there is a way around this by choosing "Translatable - only show translated items", but this means manual work across thousands of posts, and a larger database.

so is there a way to choose this option: "Translatable - use translation if available or fallback to original language", but get visitors to choose the material in their own language ONLY, if they dont wish to see the other material?

thanks.

October 10, 2018 at 5:16 am #2802943

Shekhar Bhandari
Supporter

Languages: English (English )

Timezone: Asia/Kathmandu (GMT+05:45)

Hello there,

Thank you for contacting WPML support. I'd be happy to assist you further on this issue.

Is there a way to get visitors to "filter" the content of one language only?
==> Visitors can get the content language-specific using language switcher so if the user is using language switcher and switches to French, it will only show the French content.

If you wish to create some filter to disable "Translatable - use translation if available or fallback to original language" options for few posts, you will need to use custom programming work, which is beyond the scope of our support.

At this point I would suggest you consider contacting one of our certified partners from this link:
http://wpml.org/documentation/support/wpml-contractors/

Before doing so please have a look also here:
http://wpml.org/documentation/support/wpml-contractors/guidelines-for-people-looking-for-consulting-help/

You will get the custom assistance you need to get on with your project.

Thanks