Please make sure to update to WPML 4.3.4 before reporting any issue

Hi, Amit here, I am the WPML Support Manager, our current ticket queue is high, update your WPML plugins and make sure you meet the minimal requirements for running WPML before reporting an issue please - many tickets are resolved doing that

Please look at our updated list of Known Issues and you can also use our support search to find helpful information and of course review our documentation before opening a ticket.

If you do need to open a ticket please make sure to provide us with all the needed information as described in this page

This is the technical support forum for WPML - the multilingual WordPress plugin.

Everyone can read, but only WPML clients can post here. WPML team is replying on the forum 6 days per week, 22 hours per day.

This topic contains 4 replies, has 2 voices.

Last updated by Alex Paulsen 1 year, 9 months ago.

Assigned support staff: Bruno.

Author Posts
February 6, 2018 at 9:55 am #1508247

Alex Paulsen

Hello,

I have translated my website into Swedish. However, after launching it, my customers has decided, that he doesn't like the 'sv' language code, that WPML uses. He wants it changed to 'se', which I fully understand. The language code for Swedish should be 'se'.

So, I have created a custom language, using the instructions from this support ticket:

https://wpml.org/forums/topic/bulk-duplicate-pages-based-on-a-certain-language/

Unfortunately, this supporter does not specify how to actually bulk duplicate the content from one language to another.

I am trying to duplicate everything from the original swedish translation ('sv'), into my new custom language ('se'). This totals roughly 20 content pages, 5 posts and approx. 100 product pages and 20 product categories.

When I enter the Translation Management module, I hit a wall. When marking the original Swedish to 'Translate', I get an error message, that I don't undestand the meaning of. See enclosed image.

How do I duplicate the entire content of 'sv' (=SE in the image) into 'se', the right way?

Thanks,

Best regards,
Alex

February 7, 2018 at 5:15 pm #1510406

Bruno
Supporter

Languages: English (English ) Portuguese (Brazil) (Português )

Timezone: America/Sao_Paulo (GMT-03:00)

Hi Alex,

Thank you for contacting us. Please, my sincere apologies for the delay in answering.

To duplicate the posts and pages, you must follow the steps below:

- Click on the WPML > Translation Management
- On the top bar, be sure that the current language of contents is selected
- Select the desired pages
- Select the "Duplicate content" option
- Click on the "Duplicate" button.

I'll attach an image for you to see. After following these steps, you should be able to duplicate the content of your site as expected.

You can also see our documentation page for more information: https://wpml.org/documentation/translating-your-contents/displaying-untranslated-content-on-pages-in-secondary-languages/using-content-duplication/#batch-duplicating

Please, let me know if I can help with any other questions you may have. I'll be happy to help.

Thank you.

February 8, 2018 at 9:51 am #1511137

Alex Paulsen

Hello Bruno,

Thanks for your reply.

I have follow your image instructions, but I still need to have a few things clarified before I proceed.

Please see enclosed image. Do you agree that these are the correct settings for duplicated the posts (=indlæg) from SE ('sv') into Se ('se')? Note: The language in the top bar is the default/base language, Danish (DA).

because it is still somewhat confusing to me. Maybe becuase I can't predict what will happen, when I click 'Duplicate'. I want to duplicate these posts into the 'Se', so I am hoping to see a screen, that asks me which language I want this duplicated into?

Also: Can I duplicate different types of content in stages? As in duplicating pages first (according to the red message at the bottom), then products, then posts? Because if I select 'All' in the Filter, I get a ton af media files on the list, that doesn't need to be duplicated.
That other red message at the bottom has me doubting whether duplicating in stages is possible, because: 'Any existing content (translations) will be overwritten when creating duplicates'? Does this mean that any duplicate action will overwrite all content of a previous duplication, or that previously duplicated content will be overwritten if duplicated again?

Many thanks for your assistance.

BR,
/Alex

February 8, 2018 at 8:55 pm #1512135

Bruno
Supporter

Languages: English (English ) Portuguese (Brazil) (Português )

Timezone: America/Sao_Paulo (GMT-03:00)

Hi Alex,

For the languages you want to duplicate, you must select the "Duplicate content" option. For other languages, if you do not want to change them, you must select the "Do nothing" option.

From your image, I noticed that the current content of your site is the "SE" that has the flag set. In this case, since you want to duplicate just that language (based on the flag of the posts), you should select the "Do nothing" option and select the "Duplicate content" in the "Se" language. I'll attach an image for you to see.

>>> Also: Can I duplicate different types of content in stages? As in duplicating pages first (according to the red message at the bottom), then products, then posts? Because if I select 'All' in the Filter, I get a ton af media files on the list, that doesn't need to be duplicated.

At the moment you must select each type of post individually. By selecting the "All" option, the media will be displayed as well. That is, you must first do one post type and then another post and so on.

>>> That other red message at the bottom has me doubting whether duplicating in stages is possible, because: 'Any existing content (translations) will be overwritten when creating duplicates'? Does this mean that any duplicate action will overwrite all content of a previous duplication, or that previously duplicated content will be overwritten if duplicated again?

This message says that the content of the post and the language you are duplicating will be overwritten. For example, imagine the situation:

You have created a post called "Hello World" in English and translated it to "Hello World SE". Then you select the "Hello World" post and duplicate it for the SE language. At this moment the contents of "Hello World SE" will be lost and the content of "Hello World" will be used.

That is, when you duplicate a post to another language, the content will be overwritten based on the language in which it was duplicated.

Note: I recommend that you back up your database and test this initially in one test post (create some post such as "Hello World") so you'll see how this will work.

Note also that for languages where you do not want to make changes, be sure to select the "Do nothing" option.

Please, let me know if I can help with any other questions you may have. I'll be happy to help.

Thank you.

February 12, 2018 at 11:55 am #1514766

Alex Paulsen

Hi, Bruno.

Many thanks for your reply. Before you replied, I did a few test duplications of my own, and I of course managed to screw up the posts the first time around. They were easy to restore, though. 🙂

Afterwards, I did figure out most of what you've written in your reply. I managed to duplicate pages, products and posts to the 'Se'. Product categories, however, were duplicated, but still in default language. Same issue for the names (types) of product variations. Not sure why...

Anyway, since the amount of time required to correct this is too long (given the large number of products on the site, plus that all menus, widgets and footer-info must be manually remade for 'Se'), I have to postpone this task for now and go with the original Swedish language settings.

Thanks for great support and a nice image explanation. 🙂 I have no more questions, and I understand how this should be done in the future. Thanks.

Best regards,
/Alex