This is the technical support forum for WPML - the multilingual WordPress plugin.

Everyone can read, but only WPML clients can post here. WPML team is replying on the forum 6 days per week, 22 hours per day.

This topic contains 5 replies, has 2 voices.

Last updated by Konrad Karpieszuk 5 years ago.

Assigned support staff: Konrad Karpieszuk.

Author Posts
September 25, 2014 at 8:20 am #479312

Régis

Hi guys,
I'm facing a problem since I have many websites running WP, WPML and WooCommerce with thousands of products.

Each year, I have to deal with catalog updates :
- create new products,
- delete cancelled products,
- add variations on existing products,
- remove variations on existing products,
- change attributes on existing products

I've been doing this for 2 years "manually", just using an import tool to import, at least, new products. But for all other tasks, I'm doing this by myself...

And what brings me here, to complicate thing, these websites are multilingual...

So can you indicate me :
1 - what is the best way to import products with both initial language and translations
2 - what is the best way to update existing translations on existing products

Note: my problem is not necessarily linked to woocommerce since I might have the same problem on a regular website with only post, pages or even custom post types...

Note2 : Products infos for updates are in XLS or CSV file but if there is a better solution, I can definitively change my process!

Thanks in advance!

September 25, 2014 at 10:50 am #479472

Konrad Karpieszuk
Supporter

Languages: English (English )

Timezone: Europe/Rome (GMT+02:00)

Hello Régis

My name is Konrad and I will try to help you with this.

Unfortunatelly I am affraid that this will not be easy or even possible.

But lets try: please tell me: are your shops exactly similar if you compare them looking on products?

I mean that Shop no 1 has products A, B, C and Shop no 2 has exactly the same products with exactly the same attributes (prices, categories etc)?

September 25, 2014 at 1:16 pm #479618

Régis

Hi Konrad,
there are a few products which are not on both shops but except these 5 or 10 products, the catalog is completely the same.

September 25, 2014 at 1:41 pm #479655

Konrad Karpieszuk
Supporter

Ok, this is good start. I have some idea, but I am not 100% sure if it will work.

In fact I give 5% chances that this will work. So before you will follow my steps: CREATE DB BACKUPS OF EVERY SITES. If my solution will not work, you will have to bring back your database from this backup.

Idea #1:
(Please don't do this if your sites has different pages and posts, it will overwrite them)

On site A get dump of those sql tables:
- wp_posts
- wp_postmeta
- wp_icl_transations
On site B delete those tables and update from site A

Then you can only delete products which are diffrent.

But as I said it will not work with 95% chances: your data will be corrupted etc.

Idea #2:
There is plugin https://wordpress.org/plugins/threewp-broadcast/ It is created to synchronise posts and pages between sites. But I am not sure if it will work:
- as far as i know it was created to work with posts and pages, i dont know how it deal with woocommerce products
- it was created to work with wp sites installed on one wordpress in multisite mode. If you dont have this installation, i dont know if it will work.

September 26, 2014 at 12:08 pm #480425

Régis

Thanks Konrad but I'll not dive into this if there is only 5% chances that it will work...

I think it would be a huge benefit for all WPML user to have "bulk" tools to manipulate translations (add, update...)

I think I'm going to create a script by myself.

September 26, 2014 at 12:56 pm #480479

Konrad Karpieszuk
Supporter

Regis, i am affraid that for this moment self coded script will be only solution.

You can also request custom coding (this is not free) but as I understand you are programmer, so please do not hesitate to ask any question about WPML API or how it works if you need help - this one is for free 🙂

The topic ‘[Closed] How to bulk update existing translations by new ones’ is closed to new replies.