This is the technical support forum for WPML - the multilingual WordPress plugin.

Everyone can read, but only WPML clients can post here. WPML team is replying on the forum 6 days per week, 22 hours per day.

This topic contains 3 replies, has 3 voices.

Last updated by agnesL 4 years, 5 months ago.

Assigned support staff: Denise.

Author Posts
May 6, 2015 at 5:51 pm #613470

Ana

Hello.
I'd like to know how to change the "original language" of a post.
I have a bilingual (french & english) website. The "original" version everywhere should be French and the "translated" version should be English. Our content was imported from another site an most of the posts were classified as English. We are organizing the content by "attributing" the appropriate language to each post and connecting it to its translation, however in some cases, the system sets a certain English version as "original". How can I change this to make the French version the *original* ? (without deleting my posts)
Thanks.

May 7, 2015 at 5:25 pm #614429

Denise

I'll help you with this.

Please do the following:
- edit the post whose original language you would like to change
- on the right of the page change the Language of the post from English to French
- Save
- Select "Connect to Translations"
- Attach to the English translation
- Save

Please let me know if you have any other questions?

May 26, 2015 at 2:14 pm #626322

Ana

Hi Denise,
Actually I had already done that, but trying again led me to the solution. I have to disconnect the translations (by going to the "translated version and choosing "This is a translation of <empty>") and saving. Then choose "Connect to translations" and after choosing the translated article, it shows a dialog box where you can define the "original language".
This works.
Thank you.

May 31, 2018 at 9:52 am #2255176

agnesL

Great tip, works for me too!
(however, whils working with the translation editor, it seems to lose the translations of the English page, so I rather keep one open while editing)