This is the technical support forum for WPML - the multilingual WordPress plugin.

Everyone can read, but only WPML clients can post here. WPML team is replying on the forum 6 days per week, 22 hours per day.

Tagged: 

This topic contains 2 replies, has 2 voices.

Last updated by martinW-38 6 months, 1 week ago.

Assigned support staff: Shekhar Bhandari.

Author Posts
April 7, 2019 at 2:26 pm #3552137

martinW-38

I am currently rebuilding an old static site with multiple languages into a wordpress site with WPML.
The old site has many pages with .html url endings (example.com/index.html, example.de/index.html, example.com/jobs.html, example.de/jobs.html) which I will be redirecting using 301 redirects in a .htaccess file.

The problem is that I'm using multiple domains in WPML and some pages share names in different languages, so if I write a redirect like this:

Redirect 301 /index.html hidden link

it will also start redirecting example.de/index.html to example.com. Another example would be for jobs.html:

Redirect 301 /jobs.html hidden link

this will also redirect example.de/jobs.html to the .com version of the site.

How can I properly redirect both example.com/jobs.html and example.de/jobs.html to the correct language versions of the pages (example.com/jobs and example.de/jobs)?

April 8, 2019 at 5:07 am #3554239

Shekhar Bhandari
Supporter

Languages: English (English )

Timezone: Asia/Kathmandu (GMT+05:45)

Hello there,

Thank you for contacting WPML support. I'd be happy to assist you further on this issue.

I don't think it's possible to specify different Server Alias and redirect according to the current language from htaccess.

You can probably achieve this using custom programming work which is beyond the scope of our support.

At this point, I would suggest you consider contacting one of our certified partners from this link: http://wpml.org/documentation/support/wpml-contractors/

Before doing so please have a look also here:
http://wpml.org/documentation/support/wpml-contractors/guidelines-for-people-looking-for-consulting-help/

You will get the custom assistance you need to get on with your project.

Thanks

April 11, 2019 at 7:33 am #3584451

martinW-38

Doesn't help but thanks