This is the technical support forum for WPML - the multilingual WordPress plugin.

Everyone can read, but only WPML clients can post here. WPML team is replying on the forum 6 days per week, 22 hours per day.

Tagged: 

This topic contains 3 replies, has 2 voices.

Last updated by Mihai Apetrei 6 months, 4 weeks ago.

Assigned support staff: Mihai Apetrei.

Author Posts
February 18, 2019 at 9:20 am #3210684

robinW-7

Hi, I'd like to use different domain per language, our site in wordpress.com online site. We used to set domains in wordpress-domains.

I have a godaddy domain "iwiss.es", now I'd like to use this domain for my Spanish translation(which is using "iwiss.com/es" as the url).
Could you please tell me how to set the DNS for iwiss.es? Should I do the setting in godaddy, or in wordpress as before?It will be better if there's any document for wordpress.com language URL setting.

Best regards.

February 18, 2019 at 4:29 pm #3213308

Mihai Apetrei
Supporter

Languages: English (English )

Timezone: Europe/Bucharest (GMT+03:00)

Hi and thank you for contacting WPML Support!

I will be happy to help you with this.

The .es domain should send to the same DNS as the main .com domain. In order to do that, you would need to change the settings in the place where you bought the .es domain (in our case, from what I understand, is GoDaddy so you would need to go in the domains section, under your GoDaddy account).

Here you can find more about the "domain per language" settings & process:
https://wpml.org/2016/04/use-wpml-different-domains-per-language/

Please let me know how that goes.

Kind regards,
Mihai Apetrei

February 19, 2019 at 1:29 am #3214535

robinW-7

Hi Mihai,

Thank you for your reply. I've gone through this document before, but I'm hosted on WordPress.com, so that I can't reach the HTTP server.

Could you please send me the steps need to take when host on WordPress.com?

Best regards.

February 19, 2019 at 5:47 pm #3218459

Mihai Apetrei
Supporter

Languages: English (English )

Timezone: Europe/Bucharest (GMT+03:00)

Hi.

These steps are mostly related to the hosting and domain settings, so I would recommend that you get in touch with the WordPress.com support and explain to them that you need to make your GoDaddy domain send to the same directory as your main domain that's hosted on WordPress.com in order for domain per language functionality to work.

You can also share with them the documentation link I shared with you above.

Please let me know how that went.

I will be looking for your reply.

Kind regards,
Mihai