This is the technical support forum for WPML - the multilingual WordPress plugin.

Everyone can read, but only WPML clients can post here. WPML team is replying on the forum 6 days per week, 22 hours per day.

Tagged: 

This topic contains 7 replies, has 2 voices.

Last updated by alexanderA 1 year, 10 months ago.

Assigned support staff: Bobby.

Author Posts
July 6, 2018 at 5:36 pm #2471579

alexanderA

Hello. I am trying to duplicate my page into another language. But the option to duplicate is not in the usual place on the page (see attached screenshot). How can I resolve this?

When I created this ticket, I tried to select 'Something is not doing what I expect it to,' but it wouldn't let me submit the ticket without uploading a Duplicator file, which seems fairly unnecessary. I think that requirement needs to be relaxed.

July 6, 2018 at 10:13 pm #2471923

Bobby
Supporter

Languages: English (English )

Timezone: America/Los_Angeles (GMT-07:00)

Hello,

This is most likely happening due to your WPML Settings.

Please go to WPML->Settings->Post Types Translation and select "Translatable - only show translated items" for "Pages".

this will show the duplicate option again.

you are not seeing this now because the option "Translatable - use translation if available or fallback to default language" is selected , which shows the content of your default page in the secondary language without needing to "duplicate"

July 7, 2018 at 6:10 am #2472078

alexanderA

>> Please go to WPML->Settings->Post Types Translation and select "Translatable - only show translated items" for "Pages".

OK I Understand that. But I in-fact want to ensure the option "Translatable - use translation if available or fallback to default language" is selected. If a page does not have a Chinese translation or duplicate, I want the default language to be displayed. So I want to keep "Translatable - use translation if available or fallback to default language" selected.

My ultimate goal is this. I want to create a Chinese version of my English page. But I don't want to start with zero content--I want to start with the English content, then slightly modify that. This is why I wanted to first 'duplicate' the EN page into CN.

What if I did this. What if I kept my WPML settings as-is, and open the English page for editing, click the + under 'Translate' (see attached screenshot hh-cn-back-1), then on the new page, click 'Copy content from English' or 'Overwrite with English content' (see attached screenshot hh-cn-back-2)? Would either of those do what I want? It sounds like it, but I just want to be sure.

Thanks.

July 7, 2018 at 6:04 pm #2472848

Bobby
Supporter

correct, these options would do what you want to achieve.

please let me know if that does not work as expected.

July 8, 2018 at 12:40 pm #2473682

alexanderA

OK that worked, thanks. We can consider this resolved.

July 8, 2018 at 12:56 pm #2473697

alexanderA

Actually sorry, that method does not make a complete duplicate of the page. It merely copies the text content. But there are still several custom fields on the page that I would like copied from the original (see attached screenshots). Other than manually re-adding the values of these custom fields, what would be the best way to do this? Can I duplicate this page via WPML-->Translation Management? Or can I temporarily set WPML->Settings->Post Types Translation to "Translatable - only show translated items" for "Pages," duplicate the page, then reset it back to "Translatable - use translation if available or fallback to default language?"

I'm not sure why page duplication is disabled if "Translatable - use translation if available or fallback to default language" is enabled.

Thanks.

July 9, 2018 at 4:20 pm #2477170

Bobby
Supporter

Hello,

as a test what are your results if you do the duplication from within the Translation Management dashboard ?

if that does not work then please try the following and let me know your results

"duplicate this page via WPML-->Translation Management? Or can I temporarily set WPML->Settings->Post Types Translation to "Translatable - only show translated items" for "Pages," duplicate the page, then reset it back to "Translatable - use translation if available or fallback to default language?""

July 10, 2018 at 3:18 pm #2482559

alexanderA

OK, duplicating via Translation Management seemed to work. That is a suitable workaround for now. Let's consider this resolved, thanks.