This is the technical support forum for WPML - the multilingual WordPress plugin.

Everyone can read, but only WPML clients can post here. WPML team is replying on the forum 6 days per week, 22 hours per day.

This thread is resolved. Here is a description of the problem and solution.

Problem: How to export XLIFFs with current content for reference?

Solution: - Make sure both language translation is complete - If the previous job or the translation is incomplete the steps will not work. - Go to translation management -> Filter the page/post and send it to translation. - Now the posts should be shown on translation basket - Add it to translation jobs and download the Xliff.

Relevant Documentation: https://wpml.org/documentation/translating-your-contents/how-to-send-content-for-translation/

0% of people find this useful.

This topic contains 4 replies, has 2 voices.

Last updated by albertL-5 12 months ago.

Assigned support staff: Shekhar Bhandari.

Author Posts
October 10, 2018 at 2:50 pm #2804897

albertL-5

Tell us what you are trying to do?
Our translation service has asked for XLIFFs of "French to English" content from the site. So, they want the current French (secondary lang) translations on the left and the current English (primary lang) text on the right.

Is there any documentation that you are following?
I've gone thru steps I found in WPML documentation. I don't have the link handy.
1. Translation Dashboard. Filter and select items for translation.
2. Translation Dashboard. Select translation options (Translate for English, Do nothing for other).
3. Translation Dashboard. Click [ Add selected content to translation basket ].
No items show up in the Translation Basket. I think it's because the English is already translated, so WPML doesn't recognize it as needing translation?

Is there another way to do this using WPML?
We want an XLIFF file with the site's current secondary lang (French) text and current primary lang (English).
Can it only be done manually?

Is there a similar example that we can see?
You can try it at the site, but please undo/cancel the operation.

What is the link to your site?
hidden link

October 11, 2018 at 10:24 am #2807578

Shekhar Bhandari
Supporter

Languages: English (English )

Timezone: Asia/Kathmandu (GMT+05:45)

Hello there,

Thank you for contacting WPML support. I'd be happy to assist you further on this issue.

Please follow the below steps:
- First, make sure both language translation is complete if the previous job or the translation is incomplete the steps will not work.
- Go to translation management -> Filter the page/post and send it to translation as you mentioned
- Now the posts should be shown on translation basket, add it to translation jobs and download the Xliffs.

This is the only available steps currently, could you please check if the pages are translation properly, what about if you try English to French, is it working?

Look forward to your reply.

Thanks

October 11, 2018 at 7:02 pm #2809573

albertL-5

Thanks for the directions and suggestion. I didn't get far with the directions, but I successfully exporting XLIFFs for English-to-French. Hopefully that will satisfy our translation vendor.

Regarding the first step in the directions…
Where/how can I mark a translation as complete (even if it isn't)? Should it be done by clicking [ Save Draft ] or [ Update ] in the individual "Edit Page" view for each page in each language? Is there a way to flag translations as complete in one of the WPML Translation Management tabs, or a different screen?

Thanks.

October 12, 2018 at 5:00 am #2810780

Shekhar Bhandari
Supporter

Languages: English (English )

Timezone: Asia/Kathmandu (GMT+05:45)

Hello there.

You can mark the translation as complete while translating it in the editor, so if you are using translation editor you can mark as "Translation is complete" for the translations in the editing screen itself.

Let me know if this helps.

Thanks

October 17, 2018 at 2:03 pm #2824809

albertL-5

My issue is resolved now. Thank you!

I managed to muddle my way to an export on my own, but the directions you provided made the process clearer. Will refer to them next time this comes up.