This is the technical support forum for WPML - the multilingual WordPress plugin.

Everyone can read, but only WPML clients can post here. WPML team is replying on the forum 6 days per week, 22 hours per day.

This topic contains 7 replies, has 2 voices.

Last updated by Bigul 2 years, 4 months ago.

Assigned support staff: Bigul.

Author Posts
March 30, 2017 at 1:24 pm #1243439

davidG-36

Hello,

I have more than 12 000 unused/waiting for translations strings.
How can I find them in DB and delete?

March 31, 2017 at 11:26 am #1244255

Bigul
Supporter

Languages: English (English )

Timezone: Asia/Kolkata (GMT+05:30)

Hi ,

Thank you for contacting the WPML support. We are happy to help you.

Hope you are using the latest version of WPML(3.6.3) and WordPress(4.7.3). To help you faster, I've enabled debug information for this support ticket. Please see this link for how to get this information from your site and give it to us: http://wpml.org/faq/provide-debug-information-faster-support/

Please explain little more about the requirement. You can do a bulk delete of strings from WPML>>String Translation, after choosing a Strings domain. Please try it after a full site backup. Check the attached images for more details.

--
With Regards

Bigul

March 31, 2017 at 12:43 pm #1244338

davidG-36

I want to delete all 'Translate need' and 'Waiting for translation' strings. I have more than 12000 strings, so I can't delete them 100 by 100.

So I thought maybe there is a better way to do this in DB?

March 31, 2017 at 4:01 pm #1244576

Bigul
Supporter

Hi ,

Please try the following steps after a full site backup(Which is mandatory because we are altering the database directly). For your updates, we are using the following definitions in our wp-config.php file to declare the status of strings. In your case, we will be using 1,3.

define( 'ICL_STRING_TRANSLATION_PARTIAL', 2 );
define( 'ICL_STRING_TRANSLATION_COMPLETE', 10 );
define( 'ICL_STRING_TRANSLATION_NEEDS_UPDATE', 3 );
define( 'ICL_STRING_TRANSLATION_NOT_TRANSLATED', 0 );
define( 'ICL_STRING_TRANSLATION_WAITING_FOR_TRANSLATOR', 1 );

1) Run the following queries one by one
a)

DELETE FROM wp_icl_strings WHERE status IN (3, 1);

b)

DELETE FROM wp_icl_string_translations WHERE string_id NOT IN (select id from wp_icl_strings);

c)

TRUNCATE wp_icl_string_packages;
TRUNCATE wp_icl_string_positions;

2) After that visit WPML>>Support page
3) Click on Troubleshooting link(blue link at the bottom of page)
4) Then click on *Recreate ST DB cache tables* button of Clean up to recreate the string translation DB cache tables

--
With Regards

Bigul

March 31, 2017 at 4:15 pm #1244595

davidG-36

Thanks Bigul,

I will do it and let you know. But are you sure, I will not lost all or part of translated links?

April 3, 2017 at 6:01 am #1245326

Bigul
Supporter

Hi,

This query will only delete the string that's status is *Translate need* or *Waiting for translation*. Therefore it will not effect the already translated strings.

Please try it in a staging/testing environment first or after a full site backup. Then let me know your feedback.

--
With Regards

Bigul

April 11, 2017 at 1:33 pm #1252124

davidG-36

It doesn't work. It still shows 11,339 translate need strings on string translation page.

April 12, 2017 at 9:30 am #1252791

Bigul
Supporter

Hi,

Thank you for the updates. Please try the following steps after a full site backup and let me know your feedback.

1) Run the following queries one by one
a)

DELETE FROM wp_icl_strings WHERE status IN (3, 1, 0);

b)

DELETE FROM wp_icl_string_translations WHERE string_id NOT IN (select id from wp_icl_strings);

c)

TRUNCATE wp_icl_string_packages;
TRUNCATE wp_icl_string_positions;

2) After that visit WPML>>Support page
3) Click on Troubleshooting link(blue link at the bottom of page)
4) Then click on *Recreate ST DB cache tables* button of Clean up to recreate the string translation DB cache tables

Also, please unselect the string domains from WPML>>String Translation>>Auto register for translation to avoid the auto-registering of strings for translation.

--
With Regards

Bigul

The topic ‘[Closed] How to find & delete waiting for translations strings’ is closed to new replies.