This is the technical support forum for WPML - the multilingual WordPress plugin.

Everyone can read, but only WPML clients can post here. WPML team is replying on the forum 6 days per week, 22 hours per day.

This topic contains 5 replies, has 2 voices.

Last updated by Carlos Rojas 1 month ago.

Assigned support staff: Carlos Rojas.

Author Posts
September 16, 2019 at 10:21 pm #4584419

federicoM-24

I'm trying to get different download links on translated pages. In this case the files to download are pdf brochures and they have to be a different file for each language. I'm using WPML with Elementor but I don't see an option to manually change media files or links, how can this be done?

You can see an example of the problem in this page: hidden link

September 17, 2019 at 3:49 pm #4589867

Carlos Rojas
Supporter

Languages: English (English ) Spanish (Español )

Timezone: America/Montevideo (GMT-03:00)

Hello,
Thank you for contacting WPML support.

1.- Have you tried assigning different download link using manual translation?

To use manual translation follow this steps:
- Edit the page in the default language -> Switch language in the admin menu at the top -> Click on 'Continue anyways' button -> Add the download link for the secondary language.

2.- Please provide the debug information of the site. In this link you will find the steps to follow: https://wpml.org/faq/provide-debug-information-faster-support/

Kind regards,
Carlos

September 17, 2019 at 4:46 pm #4590307

federicoM-24

I'm using elementor, the page builder, so I can definitely manually change the download link in the translated language page, but then I'd loose this everytime I'd make a change to the original page and update the translation, right? Is there a way to tell wpml to simply use different links in different languages?
I've found a workaround for now, I've tranformed the dowload button into a elementor template and I'm translating and modifing the template so wpml uses different ones in different laguages and preserves them if I make other edits to the page

September 18, 2019 at 9:11 am #4594185

Carlos Rojas
Supporter

Hi,
I'm glad to hear that you found a workaround by creating a template.

I kindly ask you to visit this link: https://wpml.org/documentation/plugins-compatibility/elementor/#List-of-the-translatable-Elementor-Elements and let me know if you are using one of the elements listed here? Maybe the element you are using for the download link is not compatible with WPML yet.

Regards,
Carlos

September 19, 2019 at 11:36 am #4604315

federicoM-24

It is a button, the text is translatable, but in this case WPML doesn't offer an option to change the link for different languages

September 19, 2019 at 11:43 am #4604333

Carlos Rojas
Supporter

Hi,
Thank you very much for your message.

WPML automatically translates the links within the shortcodes that's why you don't see it in the Translation Editor. In this case the best solution will be to manually change the link in the secondary language.

Regards,
Carlos