This is the technical support forum for WPML - the multilingual WordPress plugin.

Everyone can read, but only WPML clients can post here. WPML team is replying on the forum 6 days per week, 22 hours per day.

This thread is resolved. Here is a description of the problem and solution.

Problem: client wants to hide language switcher in the front end.

Solution: there is no option to hide it, you can delete it or use custom css

0% of people find this useful.

This topic contains 4 replies, has 2 voices.

Last updated by harvestW 1 year, 4 months ago.

Assigned support staff: Laura.

Author Posts
May 16, 2018 at 8:16 am #2151893

harvestW

Hello. My site is in English, and I also have a Chinese translation. My language switcher displays "EN" and "CN." How do I completely hide the language switcher? I tried hiding the CN site via WPML-->Languages-->"Hide languages" but that just hid the 'CN' from the language switcher--the EN is still present.

Thanks.

May 17, 2018 at 3:41 pm #2179139

Laura
Supporter

Languages: English (English ) Italian (Italiano ) Portuguese (Brazil) (Português )

Timezone: Europe/Rome (GMT+02:00)

Hi,

the "hide language" option has nothing to do with language switchers, it makes content in the selected language invisible to the front end. So, for example, you have a link to a Chinese page, you wouldn't see your Chinese content but a 404 page or your English page, depending on your configuration.

You can control language switchers in WPML -> Languages -> Language switcher options.
Usually, you have to create switchers before they show in the front end. Please check if you have some switcher active in that section.
If you haven't created any switcher, there is a chance your theme created it automatically. In this case, you need to check your theme option and see if you can deactivate it.

Let me know if this helps you or if you need further assistance.

May 17, 2018 at 4:05 pm #2179304

harvestW

Thanks for the reply. I've attached screenshots showing what my language switcher options look like in the back-end. It looks like a language switcher has been created, judging from the fact that I can rearrange the order of the languages. But I don't see any options to hide it. I have also attached a screenshot showing what my language switcher looks like on the front-end. Can you guide me as to how I can go about hiding this?

Thanks.

May 18, 2018 at 7:32 am #2187333

Laura
Supporter

Languages: English (English ) Italian (Italiano ) Portuguese (Brazil) (Português )

Timezone: Europe/Rome (GMT+02:00)

Hi,

just below the language switcher options, I can see there is a language switcher in a menu.
You just need to delete that.

In the same page, there are other options to create switchers in widgets and in the footer, you may want to check that options too.

Let me know if this helps you or if you need further assitance.

May 18, 2018 at 11:01 am #2188826

harvestW

OK thanks, that worked. I was hoping to merely hide it, instead of deleting it. But I guess I can re-add it later.

We can consider this resolved.