Skip Navigation

This is the technical support forum for WPML - the multilingual WordPress plugin.

Everyone can read, but only WPML clients can post here. WPML team is replying on the forum 6 days per week, 22 hours per day.

Our next available supporter will start replying to tickets in about 2.52 hours from now. Thank you for your understanding.

This topic contains 1 reply, has 2 voices.

Last updated by Laura 1 year, 9 months ago.

Assigned support staff: Laura.

Author Posts
October 31, 2018 at 1:10 pm #2865864

guillaumeF-8

HI!

Our original website is in English, and while working on other languages, I realized that making some changes to some of the english pages (some, not all) would wipe out the other languages and replace them with the english pages I just updated.

It doesn't apply to all pages.

How do I find out which pages depend on their oroginal english version and which don't?

Thanks in advance

November 1, 2018 at 3:06 pm #2869257

Laura
Supporter

Languages: English (English ) Italian (Italiano ) Portuguese (Brazil) (Português )

Timezone: Europe/Rome (GMT+02:00)

Hi,

usually what you report is what happen to Duplicate pages, but you should not even be able to translate them if this is the case - because the translation would have replaced the original text.

It could be that even if you set the page as "translate independently", the system still recognized it as a duplicate, therefore deleting the translation.
Unfortunately, there is an exact way to prevent this.

However, in your case I think the reason why this happens is because the WP Memory Limit needs to be increased. PHP memory limit is fine but WordPress uses 40Mb as default. Minimum requirements for WPML are 128Mb.
Add this near the top of wp-config.php file (after the php opening tag) to increase WP memory:

/** WP Memory Limit */
define( 'WP_MEMORY_LIMIT', '256M' );

The wp-config.php file is located in your WordPress root directory. It's the same file where the database configuration settings are. You will have to access it by FTP or SFTP in order to edit it.
You can check the current WP Memory Limit value from WPML -> Support in the Info section
More info here:
https://codex.wordpress.org/Editing_wp-config.php#Increasing_memory_allocated_to_PHP
https://wpml.org/home/minimum-requirements/

This should be enough to fix the issue. Also please be sure to keep WPML updated.

Let me know if this helps you or if you need further assistance.